The Chronicles of Canary Sidings - Eastern Eccentricity in EM

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
This momentum has given me the confidence to go back and tackle the 2mm wagon.

View attachment 220421
It needs new wheels cos at least one is completely warped but it's together

View attachment 220423
Will there be any more 2mmfs projects? At this stage I don't know but let's just see what happens....

"If at first you don't succeed..."

Well done on getting back up again. Wagon looks good!

- James

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
So not so great news is that the ivd been stuck in bed with a bug for a couple of days.... Just back on my feet today.

IMG_20240801_064021817.jpg
Before I got ill I had been slowly cutting out all the openings in the next 2 electronics enclosures (mill board and control panel)

IMG_20240801_064311738.jpg
Twas a lot of openings!

IMG_20240802_061945999_HDR.jpg
The mill board controls are made from 2 small boxes joined together to fit in an awkward corner.

IMG_20240802_062005338.jpg
The control panel is a bit more out of the box and with less holes.

IMG_20240805_193010705.jpg
Fitout is done and I'm starting to connect up.... I was wiring panels today at work and now I'm wiring panels at home too..

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
The control boxes are done!!!

IMG_20240813_065356421.jpg
Firstly the mill board module is now complete bar a couple of servo motors that I've put in a safe place and cannot find..... But good enough for testing.

IMG_20240813_065300478_HDR.jpg
The control panel is also done. This mounts to the front of the fiddle yard and at the moment looks a bit bare. I'm planning to replace the toggle switches with a proper lever frame at some point but to get the layout running for now I'm just using the switches.

IMG_20240813_065325413_HDR.jpg
There's plenty of space inside for the locking frame. From left to right There's x2 8 channel input modules in here. (Why 9 levers why?). Home made 12v-5v DC/DC convertor and the lenz express net module.

For the DCC curious I use lenz command equipment and architecture but roco multimaus handsets which are compatible and they share the same cons protocol.

Next steps are to build some interconnecting harnesses and the slowly power up the 3 modules.... And that's before I connect them to the track

ovener

Nice work. Nylon braided expandable sleeving is brilliant. In my last job, it even resisted the efforts of children and teachers to wreck all manner of connected equipment!

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Nice work. Nylon braided expandable sleeving is brilliant. In my last job, it even resisted the efforts of children and teachers to wreck all manner of connected equipment!
We use it in oil filled, pressurised, sub sea equipment at work so if it's good enough for that it's good enough for model trains.

It's particularly useful in this case as I've got 1mm^2 cable in the same loom as .2mm^2 cable and it keeps the harness neat but allows it to flex nicly as required. I used heatshrink on earlier experiments and it didn't work as well

timbowales

Western Thunderer
George, a question re the braided sleeving if I may?
Is it possible to poke individual wires out of the sleeving at odd intervals along its length?

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Is it possible to poke individual wires out of the sleeving at odd intervals along its length?
It certainly is although I'm not sure how one would control where t happens.... I've only done it by accident.

I think it would start to restrict the movement of the sleeve if you did it repeatedly as it would create static nodes where there is no flex at all.

simond

Western Thunderer
Difficult to control, as George has replied, however, if you poke them in, you can decide where.

You might want to group such wires in another sleeve, and then cover the joint with shrinkwrap.

an alternative, not so ”polished” as the braided sleeve, is the spiral wrap. Not an issue if it’s under the baseboard, perhaps, and very much easier to have wires branching out along the length.

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
So after a lot of testing and programming the control system is now being installed on the underside of the layout IMG_20240819_065430812.jpg
Putting the module in place

IMG_20240821_065250973.jpg
Routing the inter board harnesses
IMG_20240823_122208348.jpg
IMG_20240823_122203699.jpg
Connecting the track feeds
IMG_20240823_122816692.jpg
IMG_20240824_110803938_HDR.jpg
And that's it done. Minimal under board wiring all routed secured and protected.

I think I have set a new standard for finescale layout wiring