7mm The Derby Line: Basford North

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Thanks Steve!

I'm now catching up on the failures from the running session, well a couple of them never made it past the pre session test..

60886 had a derailing pony truck - I'd omitted to add the guide wire to it, I also added some lead weight. She just needs a crew now.
IMG_1083.JPG

92069 was intermittently shorting, needless to say, on test, she behaved.....
IMG_1088.JPG

I couldn't get the Wickam trolley around the layout without it stalling, so I added extra pick ups on the trailer - it runs round perfectly now.
IMG_1091.JPG

I picked up the GC bridge etches last weekend, I just need to cut the girder sections from brass sheet, fortunately I have access to a flat bed guillotine which I hope will do the job, as I find it relly difficult to cut long straight lines in sheet material...
IMG_1081.JPG

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Tony, you need one of these.....

TAMSCRIBER.jpg

It's a scriber/skrawker, the blade is inside the hook and you just drawn it along a steel rule to make a grove, do three or four light cuts and then the groove is deep enough to take the edge away, then (depending on material thickness) do some bigger deeper cuts. Simply place the material over a edge and bend back and forth until the joint fails and leaves a nice straight edge, you'll need to dress is smooth as it has a sort of cusp on the cut edge; takes seconds to scribe and cut off chunks of sheet metal.

Of course you could always use a guillotine :D

simond

Western Thunderer
I have found that they work best at a particular angle and it didn’t come to hand immediately - it seems to pay off trying a bit higher, or a bit lower, til the shavings come off nicely.

As I’m a cheapskate, I have tried grinding my own from used Stanley blades. Without a great deal of success. YMMV.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Interesting, I’ve not really found that with the Tamiya one, just drag and scribe tending toward the Nordic axe concept than the scalpel :D

It still has its original blade in from five or more years ago, it’s a remarkable and robust tool.