4mm The Harboro Stone Co.

Dave

Western Thunderer
It works and the body no longer sticks. I made the rod about 1mm longer than it needs to be and so now it tips the body as far as it can but the extra bit of travel takes the underframe with it at one side. It appears to be that the shock of the entire thing landing back on the rail gives a little momentum to the body. The voltage may need to be reduced as it looks very fast but I'll have to experiment with that as if it is too slow on the down stroke it may no longer give the jolt to the body.

paulc

Western Thunderer
It works and the body no longer sticks. I made the rod about 1mm longer than it needs to be and so now it tips the body as far as it can but the extra bit of travel takes the underframe with it at one side. It appears to be that the shock of the entire thing landing back on the rail gives a little momentum to the body. The voltage may need to be reduced as it looks very fast but I'll have to experiment with that as if it is too slow on the down stroke it may no longer give the jolt to the body.
Crickey Dave , that thing would take your fingers off .

Dave

Western Thunderer
The management of the Harboro Stone Company were always on the lookout for cut-price engines that could work the quarry line and fit through the tight clearances of its tunnel. A former gas works Peckett turned up in a West Midlands scrapyard with several years of its boiler ticket still left to run and was purchased for a knock-down price.
DSCF9462s.jpg
Although shorn of name plates when acquired, she had been named Gerhilde, and had been fitted with a Westinghouse compressor to operate the doors on internal use hopper wagons that were used to charge the retorts at the gas works. A second set of buffers was also fitted for moving other internal use wagons around the works.

DSCF9461s.jpg
Her boiler fittings and dropped footplate had been specified to enable her to run under the coal bunkers in order to load the retort wagons, which made her ideal for use at Harboro Stone.

This is another modified Hornby Peckett. Probably the most radical one yet but all based on features of actual prototypes. It started out as the Manchester Ship Canal one and had the chimney removed, a section taken out and then refitted. The same thing was done to the dome. The body was sawn into at the footplate and a new footplate was made from Plastikard. The extra set of buffers are RT Models castings on the spare buffer planks that were left over from the conversion of the red Peckett that has the Planet Industrials cab fitted.

King Crab

Western Thunderer
Love the Peckett. I can almost smell it!
I can also hear the the Westinghouse chugging away...

Here's another side tippler from Hudson of Leeds, slightly more complex.
Keep up the good work.

Peter

HUDSON.TIPPER.jpg

Dave

Western Thunderer
Love the Peckett. I can almost smell it!
I can also hear the the Westinghouse chugging away...

Here's another side tippler from Hudson of Leeds, slightly more complex.
Keep up the good work.

Peter

View attachment 175090
Is that from the 1924 catalogue? I have a copy but can't remember. It has a dump car in it but I don't think they did them to Standard Gauge. At least not in the 1924 catalogue anyway.

King Crab

Western Thunderer
The Tippler is from a 1915 Catalogue, reprint by the Narrow Gauge Railway Soc., so not a standard gauge item.
I just marvel at the complexity of the opening gear.

Peter

Osgood

Western Thunderer
They seem to have been an American design - the Oxfordshire Ironstone Co imported a large rake of them for their new venture, along with two American railroad style steam shovels, circa 1916.
Looks like the British manufacturers cloned them.

Dave

Western Thunderer
HS is not dead but resting. I sold my O gauge layout early this year and in the mess of removing it, HS had to be stored. Since then I began work on a replacement layout for the O gauge and so HS has remained in store. It will be back at some time.