Western Thunderer
I see Rob, thanks for explaining. I ask because I'm going down an EM journey with Finetrax or PECO EM points and need to get a test track up and running. In my mind I see EM as basically OO with a bit added, but am not sure until I see something running over a point....
Tony

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
I am shortly going to assemble a Finetrax OO A5 point, which I bought to see how they go together and perform. I will do some tests when completed. The point will eventually be used in a new (small) project of my own.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
May have to change the heading to ........various Bohemian backwaters

and as for a name.... Jehněčí, Ovčí Namočit?

Nice, Dave, but as I'm married to a Bohemian, I'll leave it to her to come up with a suitable moniker for the project. Rest assured, it will be appropriate and in all likelyhood, practically unpronounceable without some linguistic gymnastics.

General geographical area will be South Bohemia which is pretty rural and an area we're rather familiar with.

But it's a way off yet.

Rob.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Our favourite run is on the Tabor to Bechyne branch. It will be interesting to see the changes as it has reopened after what, I believe was a conversion to dual voltage. The original overhead was 1500vDC. However I think it has now has capability for 25vAC to do away with the need to have dedicated locos. However, the 1500v has been retained for heritage services in the Summer months. They use the original electric railcar built for the line in 1903.

The fact they would invest thus speaks volumes for the Czech approach to rural railways.

Rob

Last edited:

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
A bit more on the Bechyne branch. Translation is slightly wonky but good enough.

"The railway from Tábor to Bechyně was the first electrified railway track on the territory of former Austria-Hungary.

The plan of the railway connection from Tábor to Bechyně comes from the end of the 19th century. In the same period, František Křižík made his experiments with electrical drive on the railway. The joint eff orts of the Bechyně Railway Cooperative and the Křižík company were successful. In spring of 1902, he was awarded a concession to build, and in the course of a single year he succeeded in building the railway. The ceremonial launching into operation of a 24-km track was held on 21 June 1903. From the beginning, the track was projected exclusively for electrical operation. It allowed for the use of lighter vehicles and minimized the ground work. The track in the countryside copies the surrounding terrain and 40° slopes and arches with a very small radius are not rare. The journey from Tábor to Bechyně is therefore currently an interesting experience. The only original larger artifi cial building is the bridge over the Lužnice River in Tábor. The former power plant building is located near the bridge and served for power supplies for therailway. Originally the track ended on the left bank of the Lužnice River in the current space of the “old railway station”. In 1928 a new bridge over the Lužnice River was launched into operation and the track was extended to the current station in the town. The bridge in Bechyně, known as the Bechyně Rainbow, is also an architectonic rarity and a national cultural heritage monument. It was built from 1926 to 1928. Its reinforced concrete structure arches almost 60 m above the surface of the Lužnice River, it is 190 m long, and the span of the main arch is 90 m. Another feature that makes the bridge unique is its joint operation mode: the railway goes parallel to the road connecting Bechyně with Tábor and Týn nad Vltavou.
In the summer months, you can make trips by regular and special trains that are driven with historical vehicles as part of the Summer at Bechyňka"

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
I see Rob, thanks for explaining. I ask because I'm going down an EM journey with Finetrax or PECO EM points and need to get a test track up and running. In my mind I see EM as basically OO with a bit added, but am not sure until I see something running over a point....
Tony
Tony,

if you are going down an EM journey, I would advise sticking to wheels that are at, or close to, the EMGS standards. Sometimes you can get away with just pushing wheels out on their axles (and I have successfully done it myself on some Bachmann DMUs for example), but RTR products do seem to vary in their flange and tyre profiles. When I have regauged any of my steam locos I have used Gibson wheels and followed the very helpful sheets provided both by the EMGS and Alan Gibson (available free on their website).

Nigel

Western Thunderer
Thanks Nigel, I really do need to get a test track up and running. For my wagons and coaches it's mostly a variety of Romford's, Jackson's and Gibson's. My stash of Jackson wheels are in a box marked EM and have the correct back to back, so appear to be ok, I haven't run my verniers over the tyre width, but it's nowhere near the Bachmann wheels. I am considering turning down the Bachmann wagon wheels to make them work.

For locos I'm going down the Markits route, I never got on with Gibson loco wheels and don't care enough about the axle nut in the middle. We'll see if it works, if not I'll sell up and restart my O gauge wagon pile.
Cheers
Tony

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Bit more. A few photos from various sources used for illustrative purposes. This is the road rail bridge on the approach to the terminus at Bechyne.

View attachment 213205

View attachment 213206

View attachment 213202

Bobinka Class 422 retained for this line.

View attachment 213203

Original Elinka railcar.
View attachment 213204

I was very keen on the Czech approach and mindset to health and safety. Typified by the trams... Very little in the way of warnings, guards or segregation. It was inherent on you as a sensible person to identify the potential danger and take appropriate action.

There was even a tram stop north of the river where the platform to board the tram was also a live lane in the road. Traffic lights stopped the traffic before a tram arrived and people walked into the road to board the tram. The platform was raised and there was nothing stopping people driving off the drop. Really can't see anything like that working over here!

Screenshot_20240410-200048~2.png
Can't really see the drop between the car lane / platform and the tramline.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Czechs are quite laid back about H&S. As you say Pencarrot, it's incumbent on the individual to apply common sense and identify the risk and not get injured. If you do, it's your fault. No nanny state.
I don't think they are intentionally unsafe but there is emphasis on personal responsibility which we seem to have lost here in exchange for a claim culture, loads of restrictions and higher insurance policies. But we digress...

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Will overhead wires start appearing? :)

Found this among other things. kleine Südböhmen-Runde

Thanks Dave. Nice photos of the branch therein. Slapy is a great wayside station. That and Sudoměřice u Bechyně offer exactly the inspiration needed. Both have run down industries adjacent to the station as does Bechyně itself.

I'm not really into electrics so my homage may well be simply diseasals. I have a suitable station building courtesy of Faller which could be set in a woody enviroment.

Rob