Suddaby

Western Thunderer
There is a video currently on FB about the Wisbech and Upwell Railway. I've just tried to post a link, but it doesn't show the video.
If you search as follows on Google, it should come up - Wisbech to Upwell Railway (1961) - The "Grower's Special"
A fascinating insight, professionally filmed by Anglia TV.

Kevin

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Kevin,

I have watched that before but for the lifeofme, I can't think where. There's a short clip on YouTube and the full length version of questionable quality, without sound, from the Huntley Archive again on You Tube.

It's out there somewhere, apart from Facebook but at the moment, it escapes me.

Rob.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
I put the description of the film supplied by Kevin in Google and it came up with this

Interesting, especially the length of the trains !
Rodney

Thanks Rodney.

It is indeed very surprising how long certain trains were on the W&U. Quite a contrast to how traffic ended up with often single wagons veing conveyed.

Here however is a lovely image of shunting at Outwell from happier times.
Photographer is B. Hilton/Colour Rail.

Internet_20220531_203402_13.jpeg

This shot provides useful front end detail, in particular the wooden block ( teak or oak ? ) which protected the cow catchers from the coupling.

Rob.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Whilst work continues on Ewe, perhaps bizarrely, thoughts have turned to what comes next.

I have long been an admirer of Leysdown, the terminus of The Sheppey Light Railway as modelled in P4, and originally built by Uckfield MRC.

I have also hankered after a pre-grouping layout.

Now, I'm not about to set about building a P4 layout. No. I'll stick to S.S.O.P (Standard Sheep Operating Procedure) and use readily available rtr stock and rtp buildings to hopefully put together something which produces the same basic, open light railway feel.

First steps have already been taken, of which more later on.

However, for now suffice to say it's SE&CR with a basic timeframe of 1919-1923.

Rob.

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Interesting choice. My dad was born in Sheernes and grew up around the area visiting Leysdown and Warden Point and do have a pre-war colour slides of my dad, grandmother and grandfather taken at Warden Point.

Only recently I've been downloading loads of photos of Sheppy Light Railway for my dad. When I built the layout for my dad last year, Leysdown trackplan was the station he requested. Although I did have to mirror the trackplan to fit the room. Post #14 in my thread here.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Interesting choice. My dad was born in Sheernes and grew up around the area visiting Leysdown and Warden Point and do have a pre-war colour slides of my dad, grandmother and grandfather taken at Warden Point.

Only recently I've been downloading loads of photos of Sheppy Light Railway for my dad. When I built the layout for my dad last year, Leysdown trackplan was the station he requested. Although I did have to mirror the trackplan to fit the room. Post #14 in my thread here.

Top job on the 'rapid build' Southern/Deutsch BLT, Dave.

With minimal facilities, I find Leysdown a very attractive prototype. On paper it could be a quick build but such simplicity almost demands a slow time approach to the build.

I intend to use the 'new' PECO bullhead track and points and will look into having electric points as well as DCC loco control.

Rob.

ullypug

Western Thunderer
Oh, and while we're at it........

I came across this which is now in the calender...

Last time I checked, there was still space for another layout at the show if you fancy a challenge!
The last show was a really enjoyable one too

Attachments

• 413E98FC-62C3-42E8-9C83-A779333ACF7C.jpeg
    413E98FC-62C3-42E8-9C83-A779333ACF7C.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 6127DB53-CAA9-442B-BFE1-524C4B31555D.jpeg
    6127DB53-CAA9-442B-BFE1-524C4B31555D.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Last time I checked, there was still space for another layout at the show if you fancy a challenge!
The last show was a really enjoyable one too.

Morning Andrew,

As it happens, I've had a reply from Paul which I've opened this morning. I'm standing by but looks like I am taking a little something along, most likely Ewe. So there might well be a bit of W&U in Portishead.
I'm really looking forward to seeing a couple of layouts, one of which is yours and the other is Leysdown but it's a really good line up in any event. I'll be very pleased if I can be part of it.

Rob.

PMP

Western Thunderer
I intend to use the 'new' PECO bullhead track and points and will look into having electric points as well as DCC loco control.

Rob.
They’re well worth the investment, no real difference to using streamline, they look much better too.
B69BDB72-915D-4B23-9AF6-081C4847E8AC.jpeg
I’ve got the slip and long crossing on test at the moment, and they too aren’t giving any issues.
DB714F22-2B88-4AE8-8D67-172E2A681DC6.jpeg
Ref the windmill, I think Scalelink did a similar etched kit structure in the past.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul.

They really do look the part don't they. I'm looking to go larger than my customary postage stamp size layout with this one.

Longer, finer looking points will hopefully also add to the appearance of space.

With regard to the wind mill, I'm thinking of the Scalelink job. I'm just not too sure of the putting together bit............

Rob.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I think you need to let some sheep loose on your SECR Railway. :D The long grass is familiar enough to those of us who were around in the 1950s ad 60s, but I wonder if it is correct for pre-groping days. If the GWR is anything to go by, then goods yards were positively bald and kept as tidy as any other part of the railway. Just a thought.

PMP

Western Thunderer
Do the bullhead slips have to be wired or does the Unifrog mean it can be used "straight from the box"..?

LarryG
Hi Larry,
the unifrog design means they are in effect what we'd consider insulfrog in the earlier ranges. They can be used straight from the package as dead frog points. I've got the crossing and slip on test with the double slip to arrive in the next day or so. So far having run over 70 different (predominantly) RTR types through them I've only experienced a couple of issues which I'm certain are chassis related. They match the size/geometry of the code 100/75 streamline ranges exactly too.
edit:spellin

Last edited:

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
I think you need to let some sheep loose on your SECR Railway. :D The long grass is familiar enough to those of us who were around in the 1950s ad 60s, but I wonder if it is correct for pre-groping days. If the GWR is anything to go by, then goods yards were positively bald and kept as tidy as any other part of the railway. Just a thought.

Morning Larry,

As it happens, the new locos are posed on Bleat Wharf my 1950s S&DJR goods yard.

I shall be quietly building the SE&CR layout starting in the winter and whilst not as unkempt as the above photo, it will still have a distinct light railway feel to it.

As for "pre-groping days".......................:thumbs:

Rob

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry,
the unifrog design means they are in effect what we'd consider insulfrog in the earlier ranges. They can be used straight from the package as dead frog points. I've got the crossing and slip on test with the double slip to arrive in the next day or so. So far having run over 70 different (predominantly) RTR types through them I've only experienced a couple of issues which I'm certain are chassis related. They match the size/geometry of the code 100/75 streamline ranges exactly too.
edit:spellin
Thanks you for that. much appreciated. The old Streamline Slips were 24" radius, but the Bullhead slip looks to be of a different geometry with a larger radius, or is it an optical illusion?

PMP

Western Thunderer
Thanks you for that. much appreciated. The old Streamline Slips were 24" radius, but the Bullhead slip looks to be of a different geometry with a larger radius, or is it an optical illusion?
They should be the same, not had the opportunity to check yet. The standard points look larger than the streamline too so I suspect it’s an illusion. I’ll check and answer on my thread so as not to clog Rob’s with ephemera