Unkown Vehicle ??

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Can anyone help to identify the below vehicle, I took a few pictures of it when I went to the NYMRon Sunday for Father's Day. It's currently under repair and stabbled at the back of the shed at Grosmont. I liked the look of it and wondered if anyone knew some history?

Copy of 2012_0617FathersDay0034.JPGCopy of 2012_0617FathersDay0039.JPG

I was also very happy to see this fine NER machine in steam and then completely extatic when JP, who was firing managed to blag me a footplate ride. What a cracking day, cheers JP :D:D:thumbs::thumbs:

Copy of 2012_0617FathersDay0044.JPG
Oh and one for the Oil Burner fans :)):))

Copy of 2012_0617FathersDay0057.JPG
ATB Mick

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Hi Mick,
According to to Mick Nicholson/53A Models - Here it's a North Eastern Railway Ballast Brake van. It would make a nice model.

Edit, then again according to Paul Bartlett, Here it's an LNER D203 built 1948:confused:

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Hi Mick,
According to to Mick Nicholson/53A Models - Here it's a North Eastern Railway Ballast Brake van. It would make a nice model.

Edit, then again according to Paul Bartlett, Here it's an LNER D203 built 1948:confused:

Ballast brakes are always flippin' nightmare to work out their histories. BR(S) was still building SECR ones in the early fifties...

Steph

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Thanks fellas, much appreciated. Probably why if survived so long, being a ballast brake van. I wonder if D & S do a 7mm kit, I heard a rumour that D & S were just doing 7mm now on any case. Although I haven't seen their stand at any shows recently. I'll keep an eye out for some suitable source material for these as I'd like to build one ag some point,

ATB Mick

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Without knowing the measurements - the underframe looks similar to a 20 ton brake van, although it looks longer, and look at the fittings, handrails and duckets look very similar to a brake van.
I saw Danny Pinnock's stand at a show not so long ago, so I think he is still on the circuit. The 4mm range was discontinued as far as I know, unbuilt kits were fetching amazing prices on E-bay.

Regards

Tony

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Thanks fellas, much appreciated. Probably why if survived so long, being a ballast brake van. I wonder if D & S do a 7mm kit, I heard a rumour that D & S were just doing 7mm now on any case. Although I haven't seen their stand at any shows recently. I'll keep an eye out for some suitable source material for these as I'd like to build one ag some point,

ATB Mick
Mick,
Looking in my last D&S price list, which must be a couple of years old now, he listed a N. E. ballast brake DS 230-7, no dia. number though and price TBA, could be worth a call mate....D&S Models 01763 288353.

ATB, Col.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Can anyone help to identify the below vehicle, I took a few pictures of it when I went to the NYMRon Sunday for Father's Day. It's currently under repair and stabbled at the back of the shed at Grosmont. I liked the look of it and wondered if anyone knew some history?

View attachment 11850View attachment 11851

I was also very happy to see this fine NER machine in steam and then completely extatic when JP, who was firing managed to blag me a footplate ride. What a cracking day, cheers JP :D:D:thumbs::thumbs:

View attachment 11852
Oh and one for the Oil Burner fans :)):))

View attachment 11853
ATB Mick
Mick,
Thanks for posting the photo's mate:thumbs: just one thing why are they running wrong road through the station or is it being used as a terminus ?.

Col.

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the update on D&S chaps, will add it to the list for Telford. The station picture is Grosmont and yes you guessed it it's being used as a terminus as there was no through running to Whitby that day. If only the double track was still in place as it used to be and then things at the station throat may work differently.

ATB Mick

lnerjp

Western Thunderer
Hi Mick

Glad you had a good day, as per the replys you have recived it's a NER ballast brake van No.58033 built 1914, sorry don't know dia. No. It belive it came from Scarborough's brake down train and I also belive Mushroom (if you remmeber him) is living in it.

As for Grosmont and Colins question as you probably know Mick, it has 4 opertional platforms: #1 is for the Esk valley Northern Rail service, #2 (which is where the Q6 is) is a through platform used for running to Whitby, #3 (where the class 24 is arriving) is a terminus and #4 is mainly used for the dinning train. There is a project ongoing to install Falsgrave Signal Gantry (removed from Scarborough last year) at the North end of Grosmont and this will enable Whitby down trains to use platform 2 and Whitby up trains to use platform 3.

J.P.

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
A good day is an understatement mate, still working on the wife to stamp my pass for a few cleaning turns. Thanks for the info re the van number. How can ' the mushroom ' be forgotten! I had a little laugh to myself when showing the kids around the learning centre at PickerIng. I saw the picture montage up on the wall and in addition to five bellies looking like the man from C&A there was mushroom wandering the shed at Grosmont, ha ha. Looking forward to seeing the signal bridge erected,

ATB Mick

micknich2003

Western Thunderer
Attached my photo of the Ballast Brake, taken Beverley Cherry Tree, Saturday 5 March 1983, during my second time there as signalman. Mick. BEVERLEY Sat 5 March 1983.jpg