7mm US model dabblings

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I was tempted but it was SSW and either too late for one of my periods or too early for the other.

Interesting you thought the sounds were good, MY SP one is the same set up and I thought it sounded lousy, but then my hearing isn't the best.

I do however use Dave's Loksound Dash-8 set up he did for me as a bench mark, which I think sounds really good.

Once the cave is set up I'll give my GP60 another run, then I can crank the sound up and not annoy the rest of the house ;) :thumbs:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Another loco that turned up on UK Ebay that I just couldn't resist,
I must have missed that one!?!? Not tempted at all but I try & keep a regular look out for Atlas O on UK Ebay, as it's pretty rare these days.
The new not-scale-specific Categories don't help one bit, though, do they?? :headbang:

soo4513

Western Thunderer
If anyone is interested in an upgrade for the Gilmaur u boats Century Models on shapeways has a low nose and long hood end available. There will also be the exhaust outlet in a few weeks as well. All resized from the S scale parts which were designed to fit the S sca!e version of the u18b/u23b kits which of course were resized from the O scale original!!

I've ordered.the parts will post some photos when they arrive

Colin

Last edited:

richard carr

Western Thunderer
As some of you may know Scale 7 JB and I went to the Chicago O Scale March Show last weekend, and it was petty good fun (except for the food poisoning that JB got from the hotel restaurant ! ). It was really good to meet some people from here and some of the suppliers from the US.

So Monday was a chance to go and watch some trains, this tuned out to be the most interesting by far.

Our first stop was Joliet union station, there tuned out to be far more passenger activity than there was freight in the morning, so we moved on to Park Forest Railfan park. It's about 25 minutes west of Joliet, there is nice raised viewing platform but it is exposed to the wind. This where the Elgin Joliet and Eastern (now owned by CN know as The J) passes underneath the CN mainline into Chicago. About 6 years ago CN built connector lines so that trains can run in any direction from The J to the CN main above.

We hadn't been there too long (although we were already cold) before this came round the corner.

036A2883.jpg

So this looks like a pair of SD40s in Illinois central livery leading a couple of other locos

036A2886.jpg

No a few more locos than it first seems and they all seem to be seriously old

036A2890.jpg

A close up of the first 2

036A2892.jpg

The next 2 look like GP38-2s ?

036A2897.jpg

Not sure about these next 3

036A2899.jpg

And is that another GP38-2 in Illinois central livery ?

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Nice :thumbs:

Roster wise, close but not quite, lead engines are spartan cab SD70's.....I had to look these up as I figured they were SD50/60, reasonably rare as most 70's had the wide cab, hence the initial 50/60 thoughts. The SD40 has longer porches but the blower duct on the LH behind the cab is a give away as it more rounded.

Next up is a GP40-2 (#3101), then GP38-2 (#5829), then another GP40-2 (#9515) with Canada wide cab (long before they became standard in the US), Canada cabs always have four screens, that's followed by a wide cab SD75I (I stands for 'Isolated' cab and can be seen by the rubber isolation gasket that goes up and over the nose near the front) and another Canada cab (#9567) GP40-2, finally another spartan cab SD70 trails.

The easiest way to tell GP38-2 and GP40-2 are the radiator fans, the 38 has two, the 40 has three. Three were required for extra cooling given the extra HP the 40 has over the 38.

There are older smaller engines with three fans, notably the GP35, the give away on the GP35 is that the middle fan is much smaller and these days you'll not see on on a class 1 Railroad, there may be a few kicking around on shortlines.

JasonD

Western Thunderer
Superb photoset Richard, so still haven't cut my grass yet. Mick beat me to it, except the second loco is a real catch, an ex-IC GP40 (probably GP40R) no little -2 inspection window on this end of the long hood. And 3101 on rrpicturearchives.net was throwing up GEs and there was some blurb somewhere about them being renumbered to ...er, 29xx? Must cut the grass NOW, rain tomorrow down here.

Jason

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Mick/Jason

Thanks for all the details on those.

To me the surprising thing was the Illinois Central livery, I thought that would be all gone by now ?

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Hmmm - spooky isn't it?! Mind you there's a fading IC on the bottom of the GP40's new-livery cab side. But how did that white door on the GTW unit get there? See the next episode?:
Jason
There were some very very nice large Rio Grande Mallet’s for sale at the show for reasonable (?) prices. Maybe next time if work goes well in the next 12 months..!

JB.

JasonD

Western Thunderer
I would like to go next year and meet up with old friends, eat favourite foods (including a Denny's breakfast), buy clothes that fit me from the big store just across the parking lot (Macy's?), see some big trains that make the hairs on the back of my neck hurt me ... and, oh, nearly forgot, go to a good train show.

Did you pop in to Des Plaines Hobbies on the way to O'Hare? Reasonable prices? Of course, they don't have our expensive Pound over there, just a good holiday currency called the Dollar. Jason, stop dreaming...!

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Jason

I know what you mean by a Denny's breakfast, I have to say that I haven't had one in a while and I don't recall seeing any Denny's on this trip.
There must be one hiding somewhere.
I can recommend the italian at Downers Grove GiaMia, you can watch the trains go by from their porch.

Richard

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
I would like to go next year and meet up with old friends, eat favourite foods (including a Denny's breakfast), buy clothes that fit me from the big store just across the parking lot (Macy's?), see some big trains that make the hairs on the back of my neck hurt me ... and, oh, nearly forgot, go to a good train show.

Did you pop in to Des Plaines Hobbies on the way to O'Hare? Reasonable prices? Of course, they don't have our expensive Pound over there, just a good holiday currency called the Dollar. Jason, stop dreaming...!
Jason,

Yes, popped in to Des Plaines, and spent a bit of money. Very nice guys. They had some P48 bits and a load of their GP9 detailing bits as well. I could have spent more but for lack of room in the case and that I don’t really need the amount of stuff I have at the moment let alone more toys.

JB

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Jason

I know what you mean by a Denny's breakfast, I have to say that I haven't had one in a while and I don't recall seeing any Denny's on this trip.
There must be one hiding somewhere.
I can recommend the italian at Downers Grove GiaMia, you can watch the trains go by from their porch.

Richard
Do they do salads?

JB.

daifly

Western Thunderer
Would a 'Conversation' be a better medium for this personal correspondence rather than clogging a Forum thread?
Dave

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
As some of you may know Scale 7 JB and I went to the Chicago O Scale March Show last weekend, and it was petty good fun..... It was really good to meet some people from here and some of the suppliers from the US.
We want to see all the loot you brought back!! ;) :thumbs:

(I've seen a picture of my modest stash ;) )