7mm US model dabblings

mickoo

Western Thunderer
This one also has the CN snow hoods over the resistance air intakes next to the cab.
No resistor banks in there mate :cool:, that big grill each side is the clean air intake for the engine supply and traction motor blowers.

None of those Geeps have dynamic brake grids, only the SD70 and 75I have dynamic brake grids.

The move from blistered dynamic brake grids mid engine to brake grids behind the cab came with the SD50 and onward models, all GP models retained mid hood blisters for dynamic brakes, no blisters, no dynamic brake resistor banks.

SP did the same (intake covers) with some of it's geeps assigned to snow clearance over Donner and some ATSF geeps had them, but not for snow. ATSF was for sucking in colder air lower down like SD45 elephant ears, those engines also had exhaust stack fences to stop hot exhaust being curled down over the body and into the clean air intake.

Stack fences were more common than intake shields, you can find fences and no shields but rare to find shields without fences. SD45 and GP35 were certainly two classes with them, there may be others.

Last edited:

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
This is my haul. Not as large as it could have been.

I’ve long wanted a Baldwin VO-1000 (see the first post in my Alamosa thread. The actual DRGW No. 73 was a VO-660 for which I don’t believe anyone makes one in O scale, and so I’m not sure what to do with it yet.

It needs shortening by the the same amount as a set of hood doors. It also requires quite a bit of other work to get it to where I want it with moving servo controlled couplers for Dual Gauge, so this could turn into a love affair.

I’m thinking I need to etch up a new chassis for it to make it shorter, but also to make the addition of the couplers an awful lot easier. Attaching to brass is going to be a lot easier than to whatever this is, Mazak I’d guess.

I’d also like to try and find a way to hide the Chinese drive. I have a couple of ideas..

Other than the 3 diesels just some bits and bobs..

F0529D07-8D6C-45FD-A567-AAF5FD11F366.jpegD787C91C-34C4-454D-95C3-F4DBD3C4A4CA.jpeg3BB11872-D4DF-410D-9368-87D717A9D695.jpeg757F4F9C-1C9A-45DC-96B4-F94815F56493.jpegD48C1719-0B92-494E-AB0C-E4EBA1757425.jpeg9A0FEDBB-ECF6-423A-84F5-395FD7174B42.jpeg77A84671-B6FE-43A3-9302-6871A0C1EE99.jpeg

JB.

JasonD

Western Thunderer
The Weaver Baldwin VO-1000 is a nice model for a diecast. The only(!) thing that annoys me about them is the AAR type-A truck sideframe which is missing that cast bit in the middle that goes down behind the equalising beam. I assume that was something to do with equalisation and all 96" type-A frames were built with that and it's a mistake that never got picked up. On the Gilmaur kit it was a useful place for the sideframe mounting screw-hole, then filled with BluTack and disguised with weathered black paint.

More important (?), I haven't forgotten your P48 wheels request. Did you have any Mexican grub...? Oops sorry Dave!
Jason

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
The Weaver Baldwin VO-1000 is a nice model for a diecast. The only(!) thing that annoys me about them is the AAR type-A truck sideframe which is missing that cast bit in the middle that goes down behind the equalising beam. I assume that was something to do with equalisation and all 96" type-A frames were built with that and it's a mistake that never got picked up. On the Gilmaur kit it was a useful place for the sideframe mounting screw-hole, then filled with BluTack and disguised with weathered black paint.

More important (?), I haven't forgotten your P48 wheels request. Did you have any Mexican grub...? Oops sorry Dave!
Jason
Thanks Jason,

In a distant future and if the bodywork goes well, I could be tempted to mill off the suspension beam and replace with some etched parts and so I’ll have a good look at what alleles needs doing to the trucks at that point, so thanks for the heads up. I’m lucky in that there are some great ‘good enough’ resolution photos of No.73 to work from.

JB.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Thanks Jason,

In a distant future and if the bodywork goes well, I could be tempted to mill off the suspension beam and replace with some etched parts and so I’ll have a good look at what alleles needs doing to the trucks at that point, so thanks for the heads up. I’m lucky in that there are some great ‘good enough’ resolution photos of No.73 to work from.

JB.
I do now need to find yet another sheet of Microscale 48-9 decals for the Baldwin though.

JB.

JasonD

Western Thunderer
Mike C had worked on updating the Gilmaur type-A sideframe and I think separate etched equalisers were a part. They started as whitemetal with brass axle boxes and brake shoes. I'll have another rummage.

Where are you going for your decals? In the good old days we could declare decals as a paper product and not pay any Customs charge (no VAT) on them either. Anybody understand the £135 rule? When I was importing goods with USPS, it was declared value plus shipping, VAT based on the sum of those two and £8 for ParcelForce. Simple. Sorry drifted off topic again.

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Mike C had worked on updating the Gilmaur type-A sideframe and I think separate etched equalisers were a part. They started as whitemetal with brass axle boxes and brake shoes. I'll have another rummage.

Where are you going for your decals? In the good old days we could declare decals as a paper product and not pay any Customs charge (no VAT) on them either. Anybody understand the £135 rule? When I was importing goods with USPS, it was declared value plus shipping, VAT based on the sum of those two and £8 for ParcelForce. Simple. Sorry drifted off topic again.
I have recently had decals from K4 K4 and they just drop the letterbox a few days later. No customs, no nuffink.

Edit : Usual disclaimers etc..

Last edited:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
I have recently had decals from K4 K4 and they just drop the letterbox a few days later. No customs, no nuffink.

Edit : Usual disclaimers etc..
I got some from K4 too, via Ebay. No hassle & shipping was quite reasonable too IIRC.
Haven't used them yet, though!! :oops:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I had some bespoke scaled ones from Circus City recently, no hassle and as far as I know, no hidden taxes.

They don't do all of their decals in all the scales but are willing to rescale to O gauge if you ask with a minimum order of three I think, can't recall right now. I picked up some CN SD70M2 and some patched ATSF/BNSF decals and the quality was fine. I suspect their masters are 1:32 G scale and reduced for O, HO and N scales.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Why trucks in the US and bogies in the UK? Divided by a common language (again)?

Brian
Absolutely. I think it's a rule; if the Brits have one word for something, our Brethren across the Pond have to have a different name for it. :)

I prefer the word 'truck' to one that might or might not be extraneous nostril matter.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Why trucks in the US and bogies in the UK? Divided by a common language (again)?

It may have been a common language when the Pilgrim Fathers landed ;).

Since then English English modernised/developed at a much faster pace than what is now termed American English - which retains words that had fallen out of use in the UK. Simarily with the French language.

There are Pacific Islands where old and pigeon English is spoken The study of the evolution of European languages around the world can be quite interesting.

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Okay then this is the "loot".

First up is a Weaver U25B in SP livery, supposedly it runs ok but it may turn out to be worth just what I paid for it.

DSC_0163.JPG

DSC_0165.JPG

Next is GP7/9 (not sure which) by Atlas in great northern livery. It is in need of some serious TLC but for $50 you couldn't say no.

DSC_0154.JPG

DSC_0155.JPG

Next up is an unpowered Atlas GP35 in SP livery

DSC_0168.JPG

DSC_0169.JPG

DSC_0170.JPG

The final show bargain is an Atlas SD35 in PRR livery

DSC_0166.JPG

DSC_0167.JPG

It is DC only but in many ways that is the best choice as you can fit whatever electronics you wish.

I also bought a Twin Stars Cars FMC ABOX kit

DSC_0149.JPG

DSC_0152.JPG

This is a one piece resin body with lots of detailing parts, but no trucks or couplers, all for a mere $190, but I had to try one, but probably not another !

I also bought a couple of other locos before the show.

This is another GP35 in SP livery by Overland, it needs a new axlebox and some glazing but is otherwise in very good condition. The replacement axlebox is already ordered but I'm still looking for some replacement glazing

DSC_0162.JPG

DSC_0160.JPG

DSC_0159.JPG

And the final loco is a GP38-2 in EJ&E livery by MTH with DCC sound and smoke !

DSC_0156.JPG

DSC_0157.JPG

The only problem is deciding which bits to leave behind as they all don't fit in my suit cases.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Nice haul, Richard!! :thumbs:

The Weaver U25B will probably sound like a coffee grinder. The short end handrails give it away as a later twin-motor model derived from the 3-rail range, even if it's 2-rail wheels. I briefly owned a GP38-2 that was similar. Rather cruder than the Atlas 'China drive', I soon moved it on.
Looks like you have an Atlas GP7 from what I can see of the body side louvres. I have a long term plan to convert one to a CF7; if ever you don't feel like giving it the TLC it needs, keep me in mind! ;)
I have never seen an MTH loco for real. Your GP38-2 will be interesting to see even if only in photos on WT.
The boxcar kit looks an interesting prototype. I think most of my U.S. engines have cost less, though!! :confused:

Finally - you need a bigger suitcase. :D

JasonD

Western Thunderer
The feedback on the Chicago show has gotten 'interesting' Dave. Aaah, American. Anyway, as Jordan says, the Weaver U25B is a China Drive and they were possibly made in the MTH factory (unsubstantiated rumour number 294 plus MTH-style handrail stanchion pressing).

The GP7 (sensibly retro'ed with GP7 style handrail stanchions) is a Lionel body (recessed louvre panels, etc) on a chassis, part Atlas/Roco F9 (including trucks, etc) and scratch-built with nicely detailed ends. Horn is original, but antenna, more hand-grabs and lifting lug(s) on roof are neatly added.

The unpowered Atlas GP35 is just waiting for straightforward love and attention. Lionel's coil couplers run click on 12-14 volts, I don't know what Atlas run on. I acquired an Atlas GP60 which had started life as unpowered, but has been powered with a centrally mounted motor and axle-mounted gearboxes. Must take a pic.

The SD35 is lovely.

The Overland GP30 is nicely painted brass. Most brass was supplied (lazily) with no factory glazing, but it looks like some (all?) openings are glazed? Just decals for the number-boards (oh Letraset, I miss you). Nice SP nose-light cluster

The MTH EJ&E GP38-2 is lovely. All you need is sunglasses and a winterisation-thingy for the cab side-windows, LED on a simple platform, ...:
Hang-on got to hold the naughty parrot's beak shut or he'll shout MTH handrail stanchions again.

Twin Star Cars took over a range of kits from Modern Era O Scale, I expect because the owner of the latter wanted to get back to doing some more of what he found most fun. By coincidence I have one of the MEOS ABOX kits, so make sure you make a running commentary with pics on here!!! Expensive? So what? I like Nth American freight cars AND you don't have to motorise them. Oh, unless you want a modern reefer ... and that'll only need a cheap sound chip.
Jason