4mm Wolsey's Creek

PaulR

Western Thunderer
That granary does look very nice and would definitely act as an effective view blocker. Thank you very much to you both for searching it out - much appreciated.

On Old Parrock I didn't use view blockers at either end because I felt they would upset the overall balance of the scene. My idea was to draw the eye towards the middle instead. Very few visitors to the layout have mentioned it, although I did get a long lecture from a punter at St Neots who thought I should disguise them with sea foam trees. I certainly respect his view but to my mind the overall arrangement of features is more important.

I haven't arranged some elements on Wolsey's Creek to my satisfaction yet and I suspect that the scenic features will change as the layout develops. I find it stimulating but I also fret about it!

My latest idea for the goods shed is the one at Blythburgh on the Southwold Railway. It's quirky and simple. There was something similar at Southwold station and that had windows which might be nice. I love the barrel lying in front of the seat:

Blythburgh Goods Shed jpg.jpg

Blythburgh Goods Shed 2 jpg.jpg

Meanwhile, here is today's effort - the crossing vee for point No. 3

Point 3 05-07-24.jpg

Western Thunderer
Whilst completely agreeing it's supposed to be a hobby, I wouldn't have finished my layout if it wasn't for exhibition deadlines. Did make it a chore at many times, but the pressure was worth it because I have more or less actually nearly finished a layout. This satisfaction was greater than the disappointment of failure after seven years of construction.

Looking forward to seeing this layout.

"The Ramblings of a Great Eastern Engineman" by Albert Grose is worth a read because he was based at Hertford. There's some good tales of the Buntingford branch in the book, my favourite being the sport of trying to leave the guard at any station.
Tony

That granary does look very nice and would definitely act as an effective view blocker. Thank you very much to you both for searching it out - much appreciated.

On Old Parrock I didn't use view blockers at either end because I felt they would upset the overall balance of the scene. My idea was to draw the eye towards the middle instead. Very few visitors to the layout have mentioned it, although I did get a long lecture from a punter at St Neots who thought I should disguise them with sea foam trees. I certainly respect his view but to my mind the overall arrangement of features is more important.

I haven't arranged some elements on Wolsey's Creek to my satisfaction yet and I suspect that the scenic features will change as the layout develops. I find it stimulating but I also fret about it!

My latest idea for the goods shed is the one at Blythburgh on the Southwold Railway. It's quirky and simple. There was something similar at Southwold station and that had windows which might be nice. I love the barrel lying in front of the seat:

View attachment 218968

View attachment 218967

Meanwhile, here is today's effort - the crossing vee for point No. 3

View attachment 218966
The use of view blockers? Let us take the example of Crichel Down. A four feet something delightful, even charming, piece of work with a sodding great expensive piece of engineering inserted to provide a masque for the hole in the scenic break. Wouldn't have been built that way in real life.

Frankly having followed the story of Old Parrock and recently, finally, caught up with it in the flesh at a show IMHO it loses nothing for having a rabbit hole at each end.

Finally, Exhibit A for the prosecution.

Crichel Down.jpg

michael mott

Western Thunderer
I will certainly be following along with this new layout, I must say that the mention of old Parrock sent me back there again. I don’t think I will ever tire of reading that thread.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
The use of view blockers? Let us take the example of Crichel Down. A four feet something delightful, even charming, piece of work with a sodding great expensive piece of engineering inserted to provide a masque for the hole in the scenic break. Wouldn't have been built that way in real life.

Frankly having followed the story of Old Parrock and recently, finally, caught up with it in the flesh at a show IMHO it loses nothing for having a rabbit hole at each end.

Finally, Exhibit A for the prosecution.

View attachment 219102

Morning Kane,

What magazine/issue was Critchel Down featured in. Wouldn't mind seeking a copy out.

Rob.

PaulR

Western Thunderer
I loved Crichel Down. I've met Martin Goodall a few times while exhibiting Old Parrock and he's very modest about it but it had a huge influence on me and I'm sure many others too. Apart from MRJ I only keep a few railway magazines - January 86 Model Railway Constructor is one I go back to regularly.

adrianmc

crichel_down_gravesend_1988.jpg

Martin was kind enough to exhibit Crichel Down at the 15th Gravesham Model Railway Exhibition held over the weekend of the 26th/27th November 1988 and organised by the Gravesend Railway Enthusiasts Society (GRES). I happened to be the Exhibition Manager for the Society at the time.

Was it really 35 years ago!

Adrian

Last edited:

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
My thanks to Paul for the scan of what is proving to be an excellent article. So, is Critchel Down arguably the first Cameo Layout ?

( apologies for what is developing into a proper thread drift )

Rob