1/32 Workbench

28ten

Guv'nor
Assuming there are no schoolboy errors :) the etch is good to go. beams, spare bolster and a CSB, it should be a straight replacement for the kit item.
etch.JPG

28ten

Guv'nor
I has been years since I tackled anything rusty, but in preparation for a rusty tank I thought I had better start to practice, Probably worth a 4/10, but it is going in the right direction and a great deal was learned for the next practice run.
The grey is too worn and faded rather than chipped and one of the washes was a little strong, but the colour pallet is not far off. Rusty experts feel free to pick at it :)

IMG_4401.JPG

IMG_4402.JPG

Old Buffer

Western Thunderer
Not an expert, but the first piccy looks ok, it's about as filthy, chipped and rusty as I remember them, some were worse than others. Not much more or you will go OTT.
Alan

adrian

Flying Squad
Again no expert here either because I'd be chuffed to get results as good as this. My comment would be texture, or lack of it. I'm useless with colours but it seems a bit flat, a little more texture and peeling to suggest bubbling rust would finish it off nicely.

28ten

Guv'nor
I agree with Adrian, it is too flat, but I know how to overcome that :) some further experimentation ay 5am (!) has given some better peeling effects. On the plus side the colour pallet looks ok in daylight, mind you I do wonder why we bother about daylight when models are mostly viewed in artificial light.....

28ten

Guv'nor
An unflattering shot of the first stages of weathering the forklift, the paint wear needs toning down, then the oily bits need doing, remember this is only 2 1/2 inches long in 1/35......
IMG_4404-1.JPG

28ten

Guv'nor
The postie delivered knocked on the door with this today
IMG_4427.JPG

15 seconds later :))

IMG_4426.JPG

I have lost count of the etches I have done but I still get excited when a new one arrives :cool: no problems with this it all folds up nicely and is invisible behind the bogie casting.

28ten

Guv'nor
I am pleased to say the bogies work as intended :) the piano wire rests on the bolster providing secondary springing. the rate can be varied by changing the wire or inserting blocks under the wire to shorten the effective length. Sobering thought the picture has £210 of motor gearbox and £150 of wheels :eek: I suspect two motors and four driven axles is overkill.
IMG_4433.JPG

Sitting in the basic chassis
IMG_4434.JPG

Finally, I couldnt resist balancing the body in place :) IMG_4436.JPG

I love these little locos (well actually this is quite a big one :)) ) and I want to do another in blue

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
I am pleased to say the bogies work as intended :) the piano wire rests on the bolster providing secondary springing. the rate can be varied by changing the wire or inserting blocks under the wire to shorten the effective length. Sobering thought the picture has £210 of motor gearbox and £150 of wheels :eek: I suspect two motors and four driven axles is overkill.
View attachment 8120

Sitting in the basic chassis
View attachment 8121

Finally, I couldnt resist balancing the body in place :) View attachment 8122

I love these little locos (well actually this is quite a big one :)) ) and I want to do another in blue
WHAT !!! you mean this one isnt BLUE:eek::(:))

Simon

Flying Squad
That looks good Cynric, presumably that's "job done" for suspension of wheels relative to bogie?

Are they purchasable?

Simon

PS I like the "10mm" written on the etch!

28ten

Guv'nor
That looks good Cynric, presumably that's "job done" for suspension of wheels relative to bogie?

Are they purchasable?

Simon

PS I like the "10mm" written on the etch!
Yep, the bogie has compensation and the bolster is sprung, and it is a straight drop in replacement designed to fit the ABC units, and a pair can be assembled in about a hour :) I think the compensation beam would be better profile milled but it works as it is.
Yes, they will be available, pending testing.

28ten

Guv'nor
The wheels would be cheaper in 7mm, but then they are plastic and not cast, the motor would be the same, so probably bot much in it!