7mmMick's Wagon Workbench - A BV for Love Lane + 3 for me

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Ah that makes sense, spot on thank you again. I know the threads well as I keep referring to them at regular intavels. At some point I'm going to have a crack at an ex Oxcroft wagon pictured in the John Hayes book with a shallow replacement plank, inspired by your build of a 'but not as we know it' thread :thumbs:

ATB Mick

adrian

Flying Squad
Yes, I use 5 thou styrene. As far as I know it is only available from Evergreen. As well as being close to prototype thickness it matches the thickness of the moulded corner plates on Slaters kits well.
On the tube wagons I started after Chris Croft's articles in MRJ, on his recommendation I used the aluminium sheet for the corner plates ( courtesy of a beer can!) which worked out about 4 or 5 thou, so unless you need to build everything from styrene there are alternative, more palatable sources!!!

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
A short update with a little progress. First the corner plates, following advice from Overseer I managed to sort one of the corners out but the other had a small section that had sunk into a small gap created by bowing the sides. So this one was removed and replaced again using 10thou. When both sides have hardened off I will file these back to nearer the 5thou as advised. I also filed the end stanchions up, adding the taper. And finally I added the other brake lever, both door springs and some Slaters buffers.
2014_0903MickIphone0007.JPG

I'm about worked up on this wagon now as I need to stock up on some 5thou sheet and material for the bolt heads etc. Can anyone advise the correct evergreen reference for the exterior bolt heads please? Oh and the brake lever guides need a bit of fettling and the bottom brace adding ( which the picture shows up well :headbang:)

I then moved onto an HMRS 10t body I got at last Telford and added Exactoscale W-iron units and springs and Slaters axle boxes. This wagon will also be ex Hickleton Fleet and is loosely based on a picture in the David Larkin article in MRJ 160. This will carry a P number a few numbers on as it not an exact match as the door hinges are one plank too short and the actual wagon has 1923 RCH buffers at one end (I presume a later repair). I will build this wagon as a scratch build at some stage. But for now here it is
2014_0903MickIphone0006.JPG
I have some Ambis brake gear and MMP brake levers waiting to fit to this one. And the two together
2014_0903MickIphone0008.JPG

The difference in buffer height caused me some alarm but looking at the John Hayes book this seems common

ATB Mick

Attachments

• 2014_0903MickIphone0004.JPG
    2014_0903MickIphone0004.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 3

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
For a quick wagon fix for a couple of nights I dug this out;DSCF3631.jpg

I picked up this, a great western dia.N12 loco coal wagon and it's larger brother a dia.N23/27 as a set of etches only years ago. The kits now exist in the Scorpio range and have gone together really well, very enjoyable thus far. I decided to be a little daring and have introduced some denting to the lower sides and ends as per any steel bodied wagon late in life. I've pinched the idea from Martyn Welch's book and there's some good pictures to evidence this in the John Hayes book as well. Here's where I am now, I'm not sure if the dents can be made out very well?

DSCF3646.jpg DSCF3645.jpg
I'm hoping it looks convincing when finished and weathered. With finishing in mind can anyone help out with prototype photo's please of both the N12 and N23/7 ? The notes in each kit say they lasted to BR but I have not been able to find many photos. It doesn't help that all my reference material is mostly NER/GNR I suppose but any help would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers Mick

hrmspaul

Western Thunderer
BR considered these to be departmental wagons and painted them black with straw writing. Swindon does seem to have been more efficient than other company workshops at adopting this livery style for Loco coal wagons.

Paul Bartlett

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Thanks Tony, it's good to be back:thumbs:

BR considered these to be departmental wagons and painted them black with straw writing. Swindon does seem to have been more efficient than other company workshops at adopting this livery style for Loco coal wagons.

Paul Bartlett

Hi Paul,

Can you recommend any reference material for these wagons please ? The only picture I have in BR days is a 21t GWR steel bodied wagon and it looks grey, with the usual black panels. I'll have a look at Doncaster this weekend though to see if there's anything on GWR wagons,

Cheers Mick

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
2016 has been a busy year for me in the world of railway modelling, however on personal projects I have made little headway. Father Christmas brought me a Slater's LNER/BR brake van, I also have one to build for Love Lane, a nearly finished one of my own and a second hand rescue job so I thought this a good place to get going in 2017. 4 BV's on the bench at once, all with lots of detail differences.

First to assess the rescue, things looked out of square but I thought I could pull that around. So I made a start when I realised why in fact it was a total rescue job....the bloody bucket had been stuck on upside down:headbang:Beyond saving. So I ordered the replacement sides from Slater's and set about pulling off the old sides, which left me here;
DSCF4157.jpg
DSCF4155.jpg
Solebars were distorted so came off, which meant loosing the buffer beams as well. Spot the deliberate mistake on the sides. So to Square one. As you all probably know these vans were long lived and numerous and I wanted to use my 3 to represent the differences. The Love Lane van has to be of the LNER type (stipulated by PJH years ago).

1) Love Lane BV - E234998 - Darlington built in 1939, Diagram 61. No ballast weights, early rain strips, 3 end lamp irons, roof/body grab handle, single shoe brakes, 3 hole disc wheels, vacuum brake gear
DSCF4163.jpg
2) NE260922 - Built 1944 -Early full concrete ballet weights, 3 hole disc wheels, NER side lamps, 3 end lamp irons, single shoe brakes, roof/body grab handle, vacuum brake gear
DSCF4164.jpg
3) B951480 - Darlington Built 1951 to diagram 1/506 - Later type concrete ballast weight, double brake shoe, non vacuum brake, one end lamp iron, roof/body handle and plywood internal ends.
DSCF4162.jpg
4) E178705 - Darlington built 1935 - Spoked wheels, NER side lamps, early rain strips, no ballast weights, single brake shoe, vacuum fitted, 3 end lamp irons, no windows in end doors (no picture at the moment).

The photo's above are of early construction and you'll see I've added panels to the inside ends. The kit supplies them with a large recess and looking at photos this is incorrect. So the ends were filled pre assembly;
DSCF4159.jpg
Also I some how lost a floor, so made a new one for the BR van from plasticard. Other than that and prepping the two roofs for the early pattern rain strip so far they have been straight forward kit builds. More to follow soon,

Mick.R

Last edited:

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Very nice. this BR version of the kit, for S7, may interest you. Slaters can supply the correct axleboxes for the circa early 1950s builds... a sprue from one of the BR van kits, I think that ours came from the Palvan.

Hi Graham,

I had a good look at this build, which is very nice indeed, especially the interior. Sadly I won't attempt the interior details as time is too short and as layout models they will never have the roofs lifted. I have the correct pattern axle boxes for what I need and I too have used the Slater's sprung W-iron option for all my vans, which are S7:thumbs:

Cheers Mick