Painting and lining

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Mick, the curve is put in with a brush, in the picture are dividers used for marking the correct corner radius
While I'm in the mood, I thought you might like this one,

Next lesson will be passenger livery lining :)

Right, off to Bolton now

Thanks Warren, you're right I do like the photo :thumbs: When using the dividers do you just lightly score the radius on and then brush in then ? Have a good one at Bolton. I would like to have gone but the wife is working so it's death by kids party for me :))

ATB Mick

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
Mick, the dividers are set at 4" using a 7mm scale ruler. A small nick is made in each line back from the point where they would meet. The paint is then mopped up with a spirit damp brush back to the nicks. The corner is now brushed in freehand without guides. The more you practice this the better the arc becomes. When I do orange lining demo I will try to show this in the photos as the above explanation is maybe not as clear as it could be :)
Warren

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
Hi Mick, Bolton was ok, the sun was out and the show wasn't too packed

JB, best tip I can give you for LNER is to use a very pale grey ( I use humbrol ivory with a spot of black in it) White lining is very unforgiving and the slightest errors stand out a mile

image.jpg

Although not LNER this is lined in pale grey but you wouldn't know :)
Cheers Warren

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
The following pictures show how I go about inset lining.
As a rule the for British Railways the lining is set 5" from the edge of a panel although this can be as much as 1'6" on stanier tenders

The width of the lines is set with dividers at 2.25", make sure they are parallel .

image.jpg

Now the dividers are set at 4" (3" for GWR) . Each line has a tiny nick put into the paint.

image.jpg

Next the paint is cut back to the marks with a brush dampened with spirit

image.jpg

And finally brush in the arcs, it's easier if you do the inner one first, allow 24hrs to dry before adding the black line

image.jpg

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
They do look lovely Warren, are they kit built ? I particularly like the BR black one, you don't see many in black,

ATB Mick

Susie

Western Thunderer
Hi Warren,

As you use Humbrol for the lining, I assume that you cannot then give a final celly varnish?

Susie

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
Hello Susie,
Celly lacquer is fine over enamel if it is sprayed dry. Dry basically means high dilution about 5:1 thinners to lacquer and a high air pressure maybe about 30-40psi. The lacquer is then misted on from about 8-10 inches very lightly. The mix is almost dry when it lands and gives a wonderful satin finish that nothing else comes close to. If you require a glossier finish then lower the dilution and the air pressure. Although this is wetter it won't effect the enamel if again applied as a mist as the thinner evaporates before it has time to react with the hardened enamel. I have lacquered locos painted in enamel with no problems. Like all other aspects of painting no explanation can equal actually having a go. Spray up some empty coke tons and have a play, u will be amazed at the results you can acheive.
Warren

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
Went to Hobby craft with the wife yesterday, she wanted some of those artificial flowers, don't know why :)
I wondered off on my own and found some soft pastel stick things and thought they might be ok for weathering so I bought a few gunky colours.
I gave them a try today on this Jubilee I had to finish in a medium weathered condition.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I think they look quite convincing, it's probably been done many times by many people but as I hate weathering I was trying to find some thing quick and easy. I gave the model a light dusting of humbrol metalcote gunmetal mixed with matt black, then got to work with the powders and a flat brush. The above pictures are the result of about 15 mins work :)

adrian

Flying Squad
As you use Humbrol for the lining, I assume that you cannot then give a final celly varnish?

As Warren has said cellulose is fine over enamel. The only thing to be cautious of is that the enamel has fully cured - not just dry. Not just lining but I have seen people paint cellulose over an enamel base coat, the thing was that the enamel had been left for a couple of weeks to fully cure and harden. Once that has been done it is fairly impervious to anything you put over the top - including cellulose paint. As recommended by Warren try spraying a few empty coke cans - you'll be surprised what you can get away with despite all the "experts" telling you otherwise.

alcazar

Does anyone know if it's possible to modify an old Rotring pen nib unit for use as a lining pen? Has it been done?

I can't see the difference between one and those sold by Bob Moore and Peter Spoerer.

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer
I can't imagine paint flowing through a Rotring pen easily, if at all. Rotring ink is considerably thinner despite its opacity. Its possible I suppose, my pens are all in storage so I can't try it.