Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I use limonene too as it is less aggressive than mek. Can you explain how you use stiff brandy please? I apply mine with a small brush!

Ian
:drool:

The stiff brandy is a key ingredient to keeping one's sanity when applying 100s of small plasticard slates. I recommend taking orally and at good frequency. Discard if limonene brush has been dipped in though.

The limonene is good for laminating jobs but useless for structural joints. I still find (Hobby Holidays) MEK the best as it grabs instantly.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
It will look even more impressive once you have finished painting the colours and textures.

Michael

Hi Michael

I did originally think that I'd get the painting done this weekend but I think to do the building justice that's a tad optimistic. It seems to take me quite a while to build up the colours to the point I'm happy and, equally as important, get the finished article to match the other buildings.

In theory it should help that I'm using the same 6 colours on the stonework and I need to make better notes this time so, when it comes to do the station, it will be easier.

One thing is absolutely clear, I couldn't do this for a living. Even at £1 per hour, nobody would pay the cost of making and finishing the buildings.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Looks like my terminus will be very similar to yours even to the end & side loading platform. I like your rendition of stonework.

Thanks Larry, I'll post up a photo of the track plan later. Yes, the stonework is the product of the idiot in me deciding that it would be a great idea to individually carve the stones into the plasticard shell. I did spend quite a while looking for suitable embossed sheet but nothing came close.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I had a look back through my Pencarrow thread on RMweb this morning trying to find out when I started the grain store. Looks like it was in the conceptual design stage in June 2015.

post-6675-0-38891000-1434737613.jpg

post-6675-0-96780300-1434837846.jpg

With the first bit of plasticard marked up in July 2015 and things progressing further by August 2015.

post-6675-0-86440400-1435950102.jpg

post-6675-0-38283600-1437939156.jpg

post-6675-0-99062600-1438439960.jpg

post-6675-0-49741000-1438898007.jpg

post-6675-0-64107000-1439104441.jpg

post-6675-0-18375300-1439393470.jpg

Makes me feel slightly better that I didn't start this in 2013. That means it's only been on the go 6 and a bit years...

Last edited:

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Chris,

A bit of colour is adding to the presence of the building and a slow build up of paint is better than trying to slap it on in one go.

I did a couple of retaining walls on a club layout, that never got finished, I used a couple of strong colours to pick out individual stones and then a few browny, grey washes to tie it altogether and tone down the strong colours.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Chris,

A bit of colour is adding to the presence of the building and a slow build up of paint is better than trying to slap it on in one go.

I did a couple of retaining walls on a club layout, that never got finished, I used a couple of strong colours to pick out individual stones and then a few browny, grey washes to tie it altogether and tone down the strong colours.

Hi Phil, that's exactly the method I'll be using. It's going to look a lot more Blobby until the washes are applied.