Phil O

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris,

Keep up the modelling, I think we all have ups and downs in our modelling, I just hope that your downs don't last to long.

Look forward to seeing you and the Sheepy, next Sunday.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Thanks all for adding to the inspiration to do something. I can report that the house smells of MEK.

Spent the day strengthening up the right hand end module and starting to add the roof. The roof will be a removable module in its own right.

IMG_20230806_181934.jpg
The bracing of the roof formers uses a lot of scrap plasticard, some bits are window and door shaped...

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
It was great to see you and Sheepy, today. I have to say that the layout looked good, even if it was full of garden sheds, although they do have some character.

Keep bashing on with Bodmin, at your own pace, it would be a shame to waste all that great modelling.

Good to see and talk to you too Phil. For thems wot dudn't know, I wos at Railwells show all weekend helping Rob with his layout Ewe.
IMG_20230812_165705.jpg

Was particularly keen on this sort of help...
IMG_20230812_211945.jpg

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Went to the G0G event in Stafford yesterday. No stock of any kind bought, but two items dropped off...

I'd did but a nice wooden box for my O2 tank, and also a couple of workbench tidy items from EBMA (www.ebmahobby.co.uk) to add to the one I got at Wells show. All glued together this morning, and now sitting drying. (Some drawers are upside down whilst they set).

Here are the two units I bought yesterday...

IMG_20230903_121117.jpg

Along with the one I got at Wells...
IMG_20230903_121413.jpg

Disappointed with the sheet rack as it seems to have a major design flaw...
IMG_20230903_121624.jpg

Could do with one side not having the side pockets. Bit late for a modification now.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
And the sheet store photo obviously using 4mm rather than 7mm plasticard...

Didn't know there was a difference :eek::confused:.......it's one for 1st April..... sheet styrene available in 7, 4, 3.5, 2.5 and 2mm scales. Good job I've been using 3.5mm scale styrene sheet for my HO modelling :rolleyes: :).

Obviously the sheet store is designed fit in with their modular system and they clearly hadn't thought about A3 styrene sheets. Knocking out one of the rear side pockets would have solved the issue. Also looks the same with the shallow tool tray in the top of tool tidy - two instead of three trays would have been better.

However, given these types of 'workbench' furniture are available it takes all the faff of designing and building them yourself added to which you couldn't build them for the same cost by the once you've factored in materials and time.

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Didn't know there was a difference :eek::confused:.......it's one for 1st April..... sheet styrene available in 7, 4, 3.5, 2.5 and 2mm scales. Good job I've been using 3.5mm scale styrene sheet for my HO modelling :rolleyes: :).

Obviously the sheet store is designed fit in with their modular system and they clearly hadn't thought about A3 styrene sheets. Knocking out one of the rear side pockets would have solved the issue. Also looks the same with the shallow tool tray in the top of tool tidy - two instead of three trays would have been better.

It's not even A3 sheets. Those are standard A4 size.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Interesting though as A4 is 297 x 210 mm and the store is designed for sheets up to 222 mm wide?

Having done a bit more looking it appears that there's no such thing as a standard size for a sheet of plasticard. Evergreen is very narrow, and most of the expensive brands seem to be 10 to 20mm less than A4. The sheets I buy in bulk seem to be 10 to 20mm wider than A4.

I can see the Sheet Store having a date with the DeWalt Multi tool...

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I'll be demonstrating making buildings from plasticard again at the Stafford exhibition in a few weeks. For a change I'm getting ready well in advance!

I've never been happy at previous shows how I've displayed the models plus, due to their size, finding suitable transport boxes has been a pain. To kill both birds with one stone I've had a cunning plan...

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
One the way back from Birmingham on Thursday I popped into Hobbycraft and stocked up with 5mm thick foam board. And today I have been applying knife and glue to both the foam board and the cunning plan.

IMG_20230910_144336.jpg
A box with holes in the top to take the building footprints...

IMG_20230910_165505.jpg
And another baseplate with a trench cut out of it.

IMG_20230910_172113.jpg
And together.

IMG_20230910_144852.jpg
Buildings fit on when being displayed.

IMG_20230910_172154.jpg
Or in when being transported.

IMG_20230910_172401.jpg
Still a work in progress, but you get the idea...