Pencarrow

Western Thunderer

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Oh look, some progress...

IMG_20231028_123318.jpg

A really stinky, hard to shift, and persistent cold has meant I've done very little for weeks.

Should get the cladding finished today and, with the arrival of extra supplies yesterday, a start made on the roof...

IMG_20231028_124235.jpg

I have to say I hate and love this stuff in equal measures. It's so thick you can use it as tank armour, and the sheets are so small they are hardly sufficient to protect an old-school page-3 girl's modesty. Oh, and it took me a long time to realise it's grossly overscale for 4mm.

But... It's almost bob-on for 7mm and with careful cutting and thinning it looks great on models. It's robustness means that roofs can be handled without fear of damage. So in summary... Erm...

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
And in other news, I'd almost forgotten that I'd sorted out the stonework corners and joins...

IMG_20231028_124139.jpg

A mixture of filler, solvent abuse and some nasty tools wins every time.

I decided that the SEF sheet was far to smooth and glossy, plus had lots of mould ejection marks... So attacked it by dragging a razor saw sideways across it to rough it up. Got to love plasticard abuse.

Tim Birch

Western Thunderer
Oh look, some progress...

View attachment 199332

A really stinky, hard to shift, and persistent cold has meant I've done very little for weeks.

Should get the cladding finished today and, with the arrival of extra supplies yesterday, a start made on the roof...

View attachment 199333

I have to say I hate and love this stuff in equal measures. It's so thick you can use it as tank armour, and the sheets are so small they are hardly sufficient to protect an old-school page-3 girl's modesty. Oh, and it took me a long time to realise it's grossly overscale for 4mm.

But... It's almost bob-on for 7mm and with careful cutting and thinning it looks great on models. It's robustness means that roofs can be handled without fear of damage. So in summary... Erm...
There is another option for using these sheets which sorts out both the excessive thickness of the sheets and their small area. Tape a piece of thickish foil ( such as from the bottom of a food container) to one of the sheets and rub over with either ball point pen or one of the fancy embossing tools. With careful repositioning, a large area can be prepared, or the sheet can be cut into separate sheets to match the size of the prototype ones. Other advantages of this method are that, with care the sheets can be curved (Nissen hut style), or the sheets distressed to reflect ageing. Attached is a part photo of this method in use on a small layout from a decade ago.SDC11706.JPG

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
There is another option for using these sheets which sorts out both the excessive thickness of the sheets and their small area. Tape a piece of thickish foil ( such as from the bottom of a food container) to one of the sheets and rub over with either ball point pen or one of the fancy embossing tools. With careful repositioning, a large area can be prepared, or the sheet can be cut into separate sheets to match the size of the prototype ones. Other advantages of this method are that, with care the sheets can be curved (Nissen hut style), or the sheets distressed to reflect ageing. Attached is a part photo of this method in use on a small layout from a decade ago.View attachment 199348

I keep meaning to try that but end up absent mindedly throwing away the foil when I forget what I saved it for. I presume you use a good coat of etch primer to get the paint to stick on the foil?

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
That's one side of the roof done.

IMG_20231028_170355.jpg

And in place on the layout.

IMG_20231028_170603.jpg

In reality there's no need to do the rear as it won't be seen... But you all know that I will.

Prototype photos show that the front faces of this new building and the one to it's left were aligned. The one to the left has platform build-outs to aid loading vans. The new one doesn't and didn't. I presume the gap was closed by a ramp or bridge of some sort? Any ideas folks??

IMG_20231028_170613.jpg

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Wouldn't be a problem with open wagons, the drop door would provide the bridge, for vans they may have had some suitable planks. No real HSE in them days.

Tim Birch

Western Thunderer
I keep meaning to try that but end up absent mindedly throwing away the foil when I forget what I saved it for. I presume you use a good coat of etch primer to get the paint to stick on the foil?
No, I just painted it with acrylic paints. It seemed to adhere well and any variation could be put down to the galvanising of the original material.

Quintus

Western Thunderer
I have found Plastruct 91519 corrugated siding ( I presume an American term for cladding ) to be preferable to the Slaters product, which does not quite seem to have the curved profile of corrugated iron.
The Wills 4mm scale asbestos sheet is great for 7mm scale corrugated iron, but as noted, the sheet size and thickness can sometimes be a disadvantage.
I have used the Plastruct material on large areas of roofing, attached to a sub structure of stout card with clear silicone adhesive.
Regards
Mike

_DSC4429~2.JPG

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I have found Plastruct 91519 corrugated siding ( I presume an American term for cladding ) to be preferable to the Slaters product, which does not quite seem to have the curved profile of corrugated iron.
The Wills 4mm scale asbestos sheet is great for 7mm scale corrugated iron, but as noted, the sheet size and thickness can sometimes be a disadvantage.
I have used the Plastruct material on large areas of roofing, attached to a sub structure of stout card with clear silicone adhesive.
Regards
Mike

View attachment 199399

Thanks Mike, not noticed that product before. I normally use the Slater's corrugated sheet to represent corrugated iron and the Wills for asbestos sheet. I'll keep an eye out for the Plastruct sheet though. Out of interest, what spacing are the corrugations at??

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Well, that's the big bits of the roof done.

IMG_20231029_115445.jpg

Capping pieces are sections of some pvc section I found a while back. It's ¾ of a circle and fits nicely on the roof ridge. It does however have to be super glued on as MEK doesn't touch it. Then bedded in using filler. I now need to de-filler and glue my fingers...

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
So, I decided in the end to add the door and steps. Being a retro fit this did require some butchery of the existing wall, nothing too major though...

IMG_20231029_181847.jpg

IMG_20231029_183401.jpg

I deviated from my normal method of making steps and instead used up all the off/ out-cuts from cutting out the windows on the other recent large building.

IMG_20231029_183738.jpg

Will give the front faces a good sand when it's set.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
And block work added to the steps.

IMG_20231029_194323.jpg

Yes, I've added the blocks individually from bits of 10thou plasticard. This may seem like madness but I've found previously this is far quicker than trying to scribe the blocks. Doing this area only took 20mins.

I do like the way this rather mundane building is developing. It's ending up to be an organic / disorganised but then again isn't that reflected in real buildings?