Phil O

Western Thunderer
I have to agree with the others, smashing work! A long time coming, but well worth the wait, a bit like the 1366. (Tongue pressed firmly in cheek).

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
Looking good now that coat of primer has gone on it really brings out the detail, as the others Guys say, can't wait to see the results once the painting begins.

Martyn.

Peter Cross

Western Thunderer
Today I is mostly making roof slates \ stone tiles. Think I need something like 5000 for the Grain Store.

1st batch of 10thou:

View attachment 123098

1st batch of 15thou View attachment 123100

Different sizes and shapes...
View attachment 123099

Reminds me of Purbeck stone tiles on a large roof they would range 56" high, 9 to 60" wide to 12" high by 6 to 36" wide. Fortunately the big stuff was near the bottom. Didn't need lifting very far.
As for slates, local coastguard cottages, At Aldhelms head had large thick slates, bottom course was 48" high. Think these were used as the first rooves were 10 X 4 tiles pegged on. These I think blew away in the first gale. You could find bits on the leeward field.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris,

But have you not made work for yourself by not sorting sizes as you cut them? Then again, what else would you be doing at this unique period in history:thumbs:

Stay safe and well.

regards

Mike

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris,

But have you not made work for yourself by not sorting sizes as you cut them? Then again, what else would you be doing at this unique period in history:thumbs:

Stay safe and well.

regards

Mike

I did consider separating them into different width piles but then I'd need 37 different containers :)).

The method I use is to take a small random pinch of the tiles from both thickness tins and then make sure I use them all in the row.

I've found previously that if you separate them into widths you subconsciously end up with a not so random roof. Getting something that looks naturally random is quite difficult - the brain seems to like order and patterns.

Should be fun...:confused:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Reminds me of Purbeck stone tiles on a large roof they would range 56" high, 9 to 60" wide to 12" high by 6 to 36" wide. Fortunately the big stuff was near the bottom. Didn't need lifting very far.
As for slates, local coastguard cottages, At Aldhelms head had large thick slates, bottom course was 48" high. Think these were used as the first rooves were 10 X 4 tiles pegged on. These I think blew away in the first gale. You could find bits on the leeward field.

56" X 60" is a sizeable slate! Wouldn't like to lift that on to a roof.

Mine are all a bit smaller. 8mm high (just over 12") and a scale 3" to 36" wide based on the range I could see in the one close up photo I have.

You may notice that mine all have a pencil line on one side. This is for quick identification of the roughed up side and to show which way round the squarish ones go.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Regarding the detail, Pendon comes to mind, Roy England would of been proud of you.

I am building a goods shed at present using the usual method of roof tiling using strips of laser cut card, and already I have lost the will to live. You must have the patience of a saint :thumbs:.

View attachment 123158

Martyn.

Cheers Martyn, I'd use strips like you on a orderly neat roof but the Grain Store is somewhat random and wobbly. Been putting this job off for over 3 years but have set my mind on completing the building before it's 5th birthday. :p

I think Roy England might be tutting at me for using plastic though not card. :bowdown: