7mm Poor man's Alamosa.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Bargain JB. Remind us, have you decided to follow Ow5 or P48?

Good to see you at Stokenchurch (NMRA BR Winter Meet).
Jason
I couldn’t say no!

Definitely P48. I probably would have stuck with OW5, had I not been doing dual gauge with On3.

JB.

Overseer

Western Thunderer
That looks a little better!

View attachment 156097

JB.
Looks much better. The bogies look fine ( as in good), adding thick plasticard extensions to the inner face of the axleboxes to represent the missing half can improve them even more. The width is probably not too far out. It is worth checking the ride height, most US stock needs lowering to scale height - thanks to toy train specifications. The current Atlas trucks are less good as the axleboxes are oversized and in my opinion are not worth converting to P48.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Looks much better. The bogies look fine ( as in good), adding thick plasticard extensions to the inner face of the axleboxes to represent the missing half can improve them even more. The width is probably not too far out. It is worth checking the ride height, most US stock needs lowering to scale height - thanks to toy train specifications. The current Atlas trucks are less good as the axleboxes are oversized and in my opinion are not worth converting to P48.
Thanks for that.

Would you believe they are the Intermountain 3 rail hi-rail truck frames?! They do actually have moulded springs, although that could make them look better than a few weedy springs that don’t work anyway.

I would be tempted to try the correct San Juan trucks as they really are very nice, and Right o Way wheels so they look correct at the back. I never thought I would be worried about the detail on the back of the wheels, but from this angle the flat face really does show up - doesn’t it??

JB.

JasonD

Western Thunderer
Here are pics of some P48 parts in stock. If it's of any interest I can make a full list(!) and when I've done that you could all get together and make me an offer to take over P48 supply 'over here'!! Another set of pics can follow with couplers, more loose wheels, Red Caboose and other truck frames, 4 mystery driving wheels for a 4-4-0, a set of 40" diesel wheels (in the pics), etc.

JB, I seem to remember that when announced the IM trucks had solid moulded springs and then regular springs came along with China-assembled - something like that. Usable springs, as you say, just don't look right!
Jason

Attachments

• P48Wheels1.jpg
    P48Wheels1.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 13
  • P48Wheels2.jpg
    P48Wheels2.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 12
  • P48Wheels3.jpg
    P48Wheels3.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 14
  • P48Wheels4.jpg
    P48Wheels4.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 15

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Thanks for that.

Would you believe they are the Intermountain 3 rail hi-rail truck frames?! They do actually have moulded springs, although that could make them look better than a few weedy springs that don’t work anyway.

I would be tempted to try the correct San Juan trucks as they really are very nice, and Right o Way wheels so they look correct at the back. I never thought I would be worried about the detail on the back of the wheels, but from this angle the flat face really does show up - doesn’t it??

JB.
Profiled or ribbed wheel backs are quite visible on US stock as the trucks are mounted close to the ends of the cars.

The San Juan trucks have an annoying feature which I am planning to deal with. They have unprototypical moulded ears on the side frames to hold the brake gear which look too obvious to me. I am planning to chop them off and suspend the brakes more prototypically. This pair came with the earlier moulded rubbery stuff springs which I couldn't get to fit at all so they have been replaced with actual coils (which do look too weedy but function).

bgIMG_2519.jpg
bgIMG_2521.jpg
bgIMG_2523.jpg
These have Protocraft wheels, one of the smooth back versions. Depending on era, these bogies would have often had ribbed backed wheels but from memory the Protocraft ribbed back wheels (which are very nice) have a different axle end so don't suit the San Juan bogies. I think they fit Athearn trucks with pin point axles.

bgIMG_2526.jpg
An Atlas roller bearing caboose truck part way to being converted to P48 with Protocraft wheels, and a Protocrft roller bearing 70T truck showing the profiled wheel backs and tapered axles.

JasonD

Western Thunderer
JB, pic #4 in my 'what's in the biscuit tin?' collection (post #106 above, click on it a couple of times to enlarge) shows an NCO triangular track gauge with P48 and On3 locating pins for code 125 (another one for 148) rail. I haven't examined whether true O-scale code 100 rail can be used.

Top row in the middle of pic #4 is a custom P48/On3 gauge, rail spacing on one side, wheel spacing on the other.

Mike Calvert brought these back from the US and I had thought about holding these as a sort of 'tool hire' set, but I think I need to hand over these ideas to enthusiastic youngsters ... :)
Jason

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
JB, pic #4 in my 'what's in the biscuit tin?' collection (post #106 above, click on it a couple of times to enlarge) shows an NCO triangular track gauge with P48 and On3 locating pins for code 125 (another one for 148) rail. I haven't examined whether true O-scale code 100 rail can be used.

Top row in the middle of pic #4 is a custom P48/On3 gauge, rail spacing on one side, wheel spacing on the other.

Mike Calvert brought these back from the US and I had thought about holding these as a sort of 'tool hire' set, but I think I need to hand over these ideas to enthusiastic youngsters ... :)
Jason
Many thanks again Jason, I’ll need to have ‘another’ good look through the pictures!!

JB.

JasonD

Western Thunderer
When I lazily say 'it' I mean the image on which you can just make out the part being fingered. Otherwise you'll be scrolling down'n'down the full size images. Mind you viewers might see something they thought they could safely miss ... hmmm, thanks daifly.
Jason

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Could this be the most ‘finescale’ track ever?

On3 - P48 - Scale7

View attachment 156716

JB.
To be the most you need more, something like this -
Gladstone IP sa.jpg
Gladstone, South Australia in 1980 when it still had 5'3", Standard and 3'6" gauges. Standard gauge EMD GM class on the Indian Pacific on the left, broad gauge English Electric 500 class in the centre and a narrow gauge Sulzer NSU class half visible on the right. Still not sure how I managed to cut the NSU in half, must have been concentrating on the track.

AJC

Western Thunderer
Could this be the most ‘finescale’ track ever?

On3 - P48 - Scale7

View attachment 156716

JB.

Very nice. But no cigar, because well, of the existence* of Brian Harrap and his various 'Zob' layouts at least one of which included triple gauge in P87: 1 of 11 | Axalp | 2014 | Scaleforum | Scalefour Society

His current empire, Quai:87 only has the two gauges... The man has also produced finescale Z, which is almost beyond credibility, but it works.

Adam

* I can't think of a suitable adjective for Brian, he's unique, and brilliant.

Last edited:

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
To be the most you need more, something like this -
View attachment 156720
Gladstone, South Australia in 1980 when it still had 5'3", Standard and 3'6" gauges. Standard gauge EMD GM class on the Indian Pacific on the left, broad gauge English Electric 500 class in the centre and a narrow gauge Sulzer NSU class half visible on the right. Still not sure how I managed to cut the NSU in half, must have been concentrating on the track.
Wow! That’s quite something. And what a sight that must have been to see. Thanks!

JB.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Very nice. But no cigar, because well, of the existence* of Brian Harrap and his various 'Zob' layouts at least one of which included triple gauge in P87: 1 of 11 | Axalp | 2014 | Scaleforum | Scalefour Society

His current empire, Quai:87 only has the two gauges... The man has also produced finescale Z, which is almost beyond credibility, but it works.

Adam

* I can't think of a suitable adjective for Brian, he's unique, and brilliant.
Absolutely brilliant. I wouldn’t mind seeing that myself. Really shows how bad track building in the more common gauges is unforgivable.

Wouldn’t mind seeing that in person sometime.

JB.

Reactions: AJC