7mm Poor man's Alamosa.

AJC

Western Thunderer
Absolutely brilliant. I wouldn’t mind seeing that myself. Really shows how bad track building in the more common gauges is unforgivable.

Wouldn’t mind seeing that in person sometime.

JB.

There's a whole thread of Quai:87's development on t'other channel: QUAI:87

The running is, I must say, excellent even at RailWells which is a tough gig for exhibition layouts (or rather, it shows up the poorly-built or under-tested exhibit).

Adam

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I'm struggling to find any decent, or any for that matter, SP steel bay sided C-40/50 cabooses.

Drawings would be better then I could knock one up from etches.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
I'm struggling to find any decent, or any for that matter, SP steel bay sided C-40/50 cabooses.

Drawings would be better then I could knock one up from etches.
It does seem to be one of the trickier railroads to get a caboose for!

JB.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Last edited:

JasonD

Western Thunderer
This SP Bay Window was done in the Trainman line so they could be offerer in non-prototypical road names. I have a feeling they did it in the SP Police Dept scheme too(?)
1646665238733.png
Jason

mickoo

Western Thunderer
This SP Bay Window was done in the Trainman line so they could be offerer in non-prototypical road names. I have a feeling they did it in the SP Police Dept scheme too(?)
View attachment 157938
Jason
Cheers, that's a C-30-6 a bit early for me though they lasted a long time to be fair. There are issues with the model, it'd take a lot of work to correct and you may as well scratch build, which is what I hope to do if the books I've ordered drawings are usable. My preference is C-50 or possibly a late C-40.

For additional interest, the C-30-6 were the last Cabooses built by the SP themselves, all other orders went to outside suppliers.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I think that is exactly what Richard Carr is after.

JB.
Exactly, it'll suit a GP9 perfectly, but they were thin on the ground in SP's later years.

Once my SP Caboose tome arrives I'll get more accurate date lines but generally speaking, C-30 were post war built until the 60's, then C-40 and finally C-50 until production stopped in 1980 or there about. I don't know exactly when SP stopped using them (I do/did, but have since forgotten where I saw it to double check) or the built/scrap dates for each type as yet.

richard carr

Western Thunderer
I'm only after one of those because there is a model of one, I would prefer a later one but I don't think anyone does one.

Jason you are correct, Atlas did do it in the SP police grey livery, there are a couple for sale on US Ebay.

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I'm only after one of those because there is a model of one, I would prefer a later one but I don't think anyone does one.

Jason you are correct, Atlas did do it in the SP police grey livery, there are a couple for sale on US Ebay.

Richard
I've not found one yet either and like you want a later one.

If, as noted above, the (in the post) SP Caboose tome/bible has drawings of use then I'm planning to etch my own, the C-50 without roof walkway is the current primary candidate.

JasonD

Western Thunderer
Mick without wanting you to feel too committed(!) would you occasionally feel uncomfortable etching more than one model (with caveats when appropriate)?

Blimey, aren't I polite ... in my day we used to say "got any spares??" :rolleyes:

Jason

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Mick without wanting you to feel too committed(!) would you occasionally feel uncomfortable etching more than one model (with caveats when appropriate)?

Blimey, aren't I polite ... in my day we used to say "got any spares??" :rolleyes:

Jason
Jason,

If it comes to fruition then no I have no objections, most of my stuff, etchings or 3D is available to anyone for an appropriate exchange of shekels :thumbs:

I'll know later today if the promised drawings in the book will suffice.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
At the risk of this thread starting to look like a vanity project, I got a chance to take a few shots of all the toys including a few new ones, with thanks to Mr Carr.

There will be some ‘modelling’ soon I promise. Main thing will be a complete strip and super detailing of the K36, the one with a very blue-ish silver smokebox. The custom paint job isn’t great, and it deserves to have a load more rods and pipes added to it just to add to that depth of detail that makes a great model.

21DC93A4-62BB-40EB-941E-E73B64BF7362.jpeg765A9455-EE83-49FE-9218-F1C69720F8B1.jpegEAC48B03-91D3-46C2-AF09-843D4987BCE7.jpeg658BF556-E0C0-4132-952E-B9AAA9A66919.jpeg531991FE-4D93-446B-B119-EC0641757684.jpegE7FD83F2-2546-4938-8203-4A2766BC0D57.jpeg372727F5-9289-4222-94B7-5C32125B336E.jpeg

681BBEC9-A4CD-4D58-8804-A7A80E376997.jpegF95987FC-7EDB-4533-A46F-F3C2D1AEDB0C.jpeg

I must admit this project has changed massively from its initial description, half tempted to change the thread name!

JB.

Attachments

• 402802F4-7E33-49D5-AE99-5F680EE1564B.jpeg
    402802F4-7E33-49D5-AE99-5F680EE1564B.jpeg
    281.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
A new acquisition found on a bring and buy stand at a show over the weekend. At the price it was a no brainer. I was after a GP30, but that’s a big money brass purchase, and I do like the look of the GP35. It comes close to the GP30’s ‘cheeky’ stying. It’s also just about suitable for mid-60’s Rio Grande by about a year or so.

Needs a little bit of work, and spent a few fun hours already trying to improve the running qualities and it’s getting close now. Ideally I’d like to find a pair of the Atlas spring pickups to really get it working faultlessly, the previous owner seems to have removed these for some reason.

Full repaint will ensue shortly. It’s current livery is particularly bright!

8275FA68-BBAF-44E3-AE70-AF24A7B69C03.jpegF47B16DA-A633-4D7A-9308-3DBA8F4F65A5.jpegF5BA0971-9C29-4DF0-AC4B-E98790F4AC67.jpeg327BB4FE-7B4B-451B-906A-568954DB0B3A.jpeg48124478-2630-4971-8CB5-7482B36EF4EC.jpeg

JB.

JasonD

Western Thunderer
Hi JB, the last picture shows it well ... everyone says replace the Atlas couplers with Kadees, so Atlas replaced their originals with Kadee 8xx lookalikes in response. Then Kadee brought out the 7xx variants to stop too much praise(?) for the P48-loving competition.

The original Atlas China couplers (look very much like the original Roco-tooled version) have a long fixed arm on the knuckle and when you try to couple them to a Kadee the clearance is a bit too tight. Take your end cutters and snip 1/16" or 1.6mm (I keep up with changes) off the fixed bit of the old Atlas knuckle and file it smooth, it will couple. I also replace the Atlas steel(?!) spring with a spare Kadee p/b.

I've posted this ramble on a few sites, so apologies if I have done it here before. If it doesn't improve matters to your satisfaction, apart from fitting Kadees, I wonder if you can get new version Atlas couplers. They should be drop-in replacements using the current box I think.

And yes, P48 wheels... this week, just had a pleasant week with grandkids, but back to reality.
Jason