4mm & 7mm Llanfair ....

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I hope people will learn from my mistake. It is best to glue the bare wood roof onto the building after it is painted and glazed. This way it will not bow and distort when adding slates.

alant

I hope people will learn from my mistake. It is best to glue the bare wood roof onto the building after it is painted and glazed. This way it will not bow and distort when adding slates.
I wonder if glueing card similar thickness to the slates on the inside of the roof would combat warping?

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I wonder if glueing card similar thickness to the slates on the inside of the roof would combat warping?
It might work as a counterbalance. But it is safer to file paint off the surfaces to be glued and attach the two roof panels with PVA while they are perfectly flat.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
If nothing else, you get variety on this thread...:p:p...

I need public transport vehicles for the station forecourt and have purchased some of Corgi 1/50 models for trials. I produced 1/50th scale castings and etchings some 30 years ago in partnership with Ralph Jackson and thought of using the bits to backdate the Corgi coach seen alongside the Oldham Corporation Roe bodied Leyland TD4. The latter would have been ideal for my needs had I not been reluctant to repaint it. This is another in-between job while the sprayshop is rained off...

WEB Buses 1.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The front wings were removed and filed back to resemble the shape of those carried by Leyland PSV vehicles pre-war. I haven got a Leyland bonnet in stock (different grill arrangement) or bonnet top louvers, so i'll pretend the new owner changed the bonnet...

WEB Buses 3.jpg

It is a Tiger TS8 chassis with covers over the front spring shackles. Additionally, the the continuous curved waist body styling was a late 1930's thing, which provided the basis of design for post-war coach bodies. I'll now consider the livery...
WEB Buses 4.jpg

Cab front extended downwards with plastikard strengthened from the back and filed to match the body after removing headlamp...
WEB Buses 5.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Getting there slowly. 1/50th or 7mm transfers would have been useful. From postwar AEC luxury coach to a prewar Leyland as running in the mid 1950's.....

WEB buses 6A.jpg

Trying to recreate a secondhand bus with a simple local repaint for stage carriage services. Plonked together for the photo. The cream is Ford Ivory, purchase becasue I aim to use it on the station building eventually...
WEB Buses 6B.jpg

Last edited:

paulc

Western Thunderer
Getting there slowly. 1/50th or 7mm transfers would have been useful. From postwar AEC luxury coach to a prewar Leyland as running in the mid 1950's.....

View attachment 175156

Trying to recreate a secondhand bus with a simple local repaint for stage carriage services. Plonked together for the photo...
View attachment 175154
Hi Larry , the bus is great but please tell me you printed off Llanfair T N . If you hand painted it then i will have to take up tiddlywinks or someting . Oh no , i just noticed Llanfair road down the bottom .
Golf anybody ????

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thanks Paul. Hand lettering was something I had to do in the days before transfers, but I struggle these days. Mabex do 4mm scale bus transfers, but hardly any in a larger scale.

It wasn't worth buying an aerosol of red car paint, so the red was mixed from cellulose by lightening my carmine red. I have no silver paint either so picking out handles will have to wait.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Rather than silver or aluminium paint I use these Molotow Chrome Paint Pens for creating chromework on vehicles. They are available from here among others https://www.amazon.co.uk/Molotow-Liquid-Chrome-Pump-Marker/dp/B01E7EG3NM

They come in different nib sizes from 1mm upwards.

I use the 1mm version for any chrome trim on vehicles where required - bumpers, headlight and radiator surrounds, door handles, etc.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the tip Dave. I hadn't heard of those pens. I scraped back to metal this morning.
WEB Buses 7A.jpg
The bus was sprayed with Halfords Satin Lacquer and then reassembled when dry...
WEB Buses 7B.jpg
None of the aluminium trim on the Duple body was picked out, as I wanted the vehicle to look secondhand, purchased solely for stage carriage use by Llanfair Road Services. I used to drive for Gold Star Line and have fond memories of the s/h vehicles we got to drive...
WEB Buses 7C.jpg
I wonder how many members remember traveling in the old coaches. Patterned moquette seats, avant-garde glass shades over the interior lights and carpeted ceilings. A lot of sound insulation went into these designs.

Last edited:

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I wonder how many members remember traveling in the old coaches. Patterned moquette seats, avant-garde glass shades over the interior lights and carpeted ceilings. A lot of sound insulation went into these designs.
Aah yes, Larry. The Royal Blue Bristols (I think) we used to go to New Milton in to visit an aunt. They had staggered seats I remember, so that everyone had an easy view out of both sides.

Brian

Gismorail

Western Thunderer
I can remember a coach company Fishers of Whitchurch who used to take our school at Ellesmere to away sports fixtures that had some old coaches with interiors like that but unfortunately I can’t remember the make

King Crab

Western Thunderer
Cumbria Classic Coaches used to run a regular Tuesday service from the Fat Lamb at Ravenstonedale via Kirkby Stephen to Hawes for the weekly market. At the time this was our only scheduled bus service!
Covid seems to have killed it off I'm afraid.
Here is one of the fleet we flagged down at our Outhgill stop in 2019 .
Listening to the gears meshing and fancy clutchwork as it made the steep climb over Ais Gill was always a treat...

Peter

190218.OUTHGILL.6.1.jpg