4mm & 7mm Llanfair ....

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I'm afraid things have gone a bit higgledy-piggledy with rain preventing the LMS goods van from being sprayed.

The laser cut signal box from Rail Model arrived yesterday so I started on that. The kit will build a model of the box at Llansantfriad and so I have had to reverse the ends to put the steps at the RH end. Fortunately, the parts include interior walls and seeing as they were the reverse of the external walls, I simply used them on the outside of the box...Clever bugger!

WEB Llanfair Box 4.jpg

The external walls were used as internal walls to strengthen things....
WEB Llanfair Box 5.jpg

The back external back wall had to be altered so that the chimney stack was at the RH end....
WEB Llanfair box 2.jpg

The entrance door now has a locking room door below it using parts from a Peco signalbox...
WEB Llanfair box 3.jpg

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I enjoyed my Rail Model experience, Larry, even though I also did a lot of chopping and changing as you are. And I didn't need the two outside ladders, the entry to the box being at ground level with stairs inside. The choice of which box to buy is almost always going to be a compromise.

Paul

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I enjoyed my Rail Model experience, Larry, even though I also did a lot of chopping and changing as you are. And I didn't need the two outside ladders, the entry to the box being at ground level with stairs inside. The choice of which box to buy is almost always going to be a compromise.
Llansantfriad box is similar in many respects to the one further down the branch at Llanfyllin, so it was a no-brainer especially at the price. I find altering things very satisfying. I painted the black patches on with cellulose paint so that the HMRS 'Methfix' BR transfers would adhere...
WEB LMS Van 2D.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Signalbox built now, although some parts will not be fitted until after painting. The roof trusses were glued in place then when set, were cut away except for the stumps showing on the outside of the building. A Peco plastic roof from a scrap signalbox was cut to size ....
WEB Llanfair Box 6A.jpg
WEB Llanfair box 6B.jpg
WEB Llanfair box 6C.jpg
WEB Llanfair Box 6E.jpg
The box looks almost 4mm scale...
WEB Llanfair Box 6F.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
In a spare moment, a shed door was knocked up from 80 thou Plastikard and old plastic sprue to make the runners/wheels...

WEB Shed door 3.jpg

'Plastruct' 'U' section was cut along its length to make 'L' section for the top of the running rail and glued to the horizontal beam...

WEB Shed door 2.jpg

Only just spotted that I put the horizontal strap on the rail instead of the door..... Old age or bloody stupidity....

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thanks Gismo. Thick glazing was glued to the inside walls almost to the floor to support the window frames...

WEB Llanfair Box 8A.jpgWEB Llanfair box 8B.jpg

The corner windows, filed to be a firm fit, went in first pushed against the glazing and tacked in place top & bottom with the minimum of Loctite...
WEB Llanfair box 8C.jpg

The outer windows were accompanied by a piece of glazing and both pushed into place before being tacked with Loctite...
WEB Llanfair box 8D.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Another model that can go to bed ready for the layout next year...
WEB Llanfair box 10A.jpg

WEB Llanfair Box 10B.jpg

There will be restricted space in front of the box because of its closeness to the platform edge, so the drainpipes are mounted on the end...
WEB Llanfair Box 10C.jpg

According to my computer, this day two years ago (21st Nov) saw me completing the same kit as a LH version ...
WEB Llanfair Box 10D.jpg

paulc

Western Thunderer
Another model that can go to bed ready for the layout next year...
View attachment 174839

View attachment 174840

There will be restricted space in front of the box because of its closeness to the platform edge, so the drainpipes are mounted on the end...
View attachment 174841

According to my computer, this day two years ago (21st Nov) saw me completing the same kit as a LH version ...
View attachment 174842
In what scale Larry ?
That signal box is a ripper , great job mate .

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The stinky bit was done today, that of covering the walls with turps diluted PPC 'Dirty black' and wiping it off again to produce grey mortar. Many house windows were open for ages to get rid the of the smell while the shed dried in the sprayshop....

WEB 7mm Shed 14A.jpg

The two large windows have large pieces of glazing stuck behind them ready to take window frames. The door is also in place awaiting the front section. Bargeboards need renewing after alterations to the office gutter.....
WEB 7mm Shed 14B.jpg

Window frames painted with Halfords white primer and then a light stone surround added.....
WEB 7mm Shed 14C.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Another building just completed for the layout. Livery is GWR. I now think the station buildings at Llanfyllin were too
WEB 7mm Shed 16A.jpg
The window side will not be seen on the layout but it was finished for completeness. The corner brick 'wrappers' were not picked out in cream as it was considered too lavish for a good shed...
WEB 7mm Shed 16B.jpg

This side of the shed will be facing the operator.....
WEB 7mm Shed 16C.jpg

The slates were weathered in exactly the same way as the walls by brushing on turps-diluted PPC 'Dirty Black' and then wiping it off with a tissue...
WEB 7mm Shed 16D.jpg

All last nights indoor images were replaced this morning with outdoor photos to show a more accurate rendition of colours...

Last edited: