4mm & 7mm Llanfair ....

LarryG

Western Thunderer
This time, the goods shed has benefitted from a BR repaint although it is clear from colour photos that goods facilities in many areas of the Western Region remained in GWR colours. A set of steps was recovered from the previous goods shed as was the shed door...

WEB Goods 4mm 10.jpg

I liked the irregular appearance of the slates and decided to varnish them rather than paint 'em...
WEB Goods 4mm 10B.jpg

Cambrian bargeboard trimming courtesy Intentio....
WEB Goods 4mm 10D.jpg

Let track cutting commence....

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I have spent hours juggling track around and tracing shunting events, but I think (hope) I've arrived at something now. The mistake on the previous 'Llanfair' has been corrected and there is now plenty of space behind the goods shed plus the shed does not block the signalman's view...

WEB Goods 4mm 10C.jpg

Last edited:

Nick Rogers

Western Thunderer
Evening Larry,

Nice to see progress. A couple of quick questions, if I may.

First of all, what is the size of your shed?

Second, what width have you gone for baseboard-wise?

I'm hoping to move in the near future and am interested to know what can be achieved in various-sized sheds!

All the best,

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Evening Larry,

Nice to see progress. A couple of quick questions, if I may.

First of all, what is the size of your shed?

Second, what width have you gone for baseboard-wise?
Hi Nick, The shed is 14' x 6 '. Baseboard tapers, so it's 24" at the door because width is needed at the station for the yard, but it tapers to 15" at the other end. A by-product is the tapering also gives the illusion that the layout is longer.

Nick Rogers

Western Thunderer
Hi Nick, The shed is 14' x 6 '. Baseboard tapers, so it's 24" at the door because width is needed at the station for the yard, but it tapers to 15" at the other end. A by-product is the tapering also gives the illusion that the layout is longer.

Morning Larry,

Thank you for that. My plan is to move soon and ideally have a decent sized garage/garden office/shed to house my layout. It’s always good to know what can be accomplished in various spaces.

Keep up the good work,

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer
Hello Larry. I still prefer the shed over the tracks from the station building, as in your pic above. Prototypically, it'd avoid the commercial vehicles driving across the station forecourt, and IMO looks more balanced, esp. in this rural setting. A favourite branch of mine is the Denbigh to Mold, and Caerwys doesn't look too dissimilar?
IMG_1278.jpeg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I had trouble in 2022 deciding which side of the track the goods shed looked better. I suppose my preference is for this if only because the shed, loading gauge and yard crane are out of harms way, plus I have a clear view of trains especially when uncoupling...

WEB Llanfair 4mm 4.jpg

Purchased this week on WT-Sales off 'Captain Kernow', I have a use for it carrying the daily output of Llanfair's raincoat factory.....
WEB Siphon 1 .jpg

Last edited:

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Larry,

I'm glad it's not just me that finds goods sheds awfully hard buildings to place. They are really big things and often I find in the wrong location they can get in the way, view block and ruin the overall look of the scene.

I think you are right to put something that large towards the rear of the scene where it's volume gives backdrop rather than blocks the foreground.

But then does it partially block the bobby's view from the signal box?

Herbie

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Larry, I get the feeling you prefer making to running?

So I suggest put the goods shed at the front, where it will add balance for photography. I would do this myself if only to stop me using the front of the baseboard for storing stuff. If the good shed is demountable, you have the option to lift it out for operating sessions, or to get access to work on the station behind.

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
A technique I've been using on Mucklemouth is that of a scale mock up.

Allows all kinds of trying things out, redrawing and reshaping all from the comfort of your desk

IMG_20230901_161826630.jpg

I could do this full size on the baseboards but I find it easier to get it right here first

IMG_20230901_161834062.jpg

IMG_20230901_161838922.jpg

It's also easier to check the track plan works for stock movement.... Lego bricks=stock

IMG_20230824_065648815.jpg

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry,
If you've not fixed anything down, have you thought about putting everything on a slight skew, rather than straight and parallel with the baseboard? It may pay to try skewing in both directions.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Hi Phil O, One of the advantages of joining all the track up as a web is it can be slewed diagonally or even curved. I bent a gentle curve beyond the platform end to make it look more railwaylike and less geometrically restrictive due to using proprietary points...

WEB Llanfair 4mm 5.jpg

Last edited:

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
I don't think having space on the baseboard is a bad thing.

I find that in very guilty of trying to squeeze in as much as possible into my designs. An extra siding here, a lineside industry there. And it just makes it cramped.

Holding back from adding too much in may help the eye be drawn to key focal points rather than being lost in a sea of features (ok in a urban layout but in a rural setting not so much)

Also I might be a lot easier to add in extra scenic features later on if it looks too empty. It may be harder to hack them out if it looks like too much

Just some thoughts I might as usual be talking nonsense

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The layout is now like a 'V' to give more space where it is needed. The signalbox has been moved back 6 feet from the platform edge and a platform slope made for trolleys to and from the shed.....
WEB Llanfair 4mm 6.jpg

The curve at the platform end is 150 inches radius.
WEB Llanfair 4mm 6C.jpg

Peco bullhead track is far too flexible and is a pain! SMP bullhead is ideal but the sleepers are thinner. I have been tempted several times to simply lay Streamline code 75 and get this task out of the way quick-style....
WEB Llanfair 4mm 6B.jpg

Last edited: