4mm & 7mm Llanfair ....

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer
View attachment 191624

And 4524 at Princetown in 1955, fairly feint but you can see the large size. Photograph by V.J.Bradley

IMG_1220.jpeg
(Photo : Small Prairie Tank )

You can use the tankside rivets as a guide - IMO the HMRS crest that Larry's used is a bit too large. Dapol have used what looks like the correct size on their version (photo Hattons) :

IMG_1219.jpeg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The P C Models totem looks too big, that's for sure. I'll weather it down in due course......It looks like its gonna be a dirty engine!!! Interesting to see 4571 was an early recipient of BR lined green. It could mean my black 'un will have to carry a different number.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Oh gawd , dont scare him off again , Larrys only just come back . Great news that it's in 7mm .
No one has ever scared me off haha. I change layouts nearly as much as I change cars. I've been aware for many years that the P C Model large totem is on the big side, but I have numerous transfer sheets left over from my pro days.

Quintus

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry,
Interesting to compare this model with my original Lionheart brass example.
It looks like the s.v. cover is taller, and no grab rails on the boiler, which on my version were flush with the cladding, along with the ones on the cabside and bunker. It was a bit of a faff to correct but had to be done!
As for the crest, the early large one is correct for many of the class. 4555 never had green livery on B.R._DSC4708~6.JPG

Last edited:

Nick Rogers

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry,
Interesting to compare this model with my original Lionheart brass example.
It looks like the s.v. cover is taller, and no grab rails on the boiler, which on my versionl were flush with the cladding, along with the ones on the cabside and bunker. It was a bit of a faff to correct but had to be done!
As for the crest, the early large one is correct for many of the class. 4555 never had green livery on B.R.View attachment 191678

Very nice model, Mike.

I have a few photos of 4555 during the summer of 1962 at Coryton, which readers might be interested to see.

First, a couple of colour photos from June 1962

4555-A~1.JPG4555-L~1.JPG

Same location, but in September 62.

4555, its business complete barks away from Colyton Sep62 Copyright Mike Roach.jpg

4555 on an earlier working pauses at Coryton. Sept 62 Copyright Mike Roach.jpg

All the best,

Nick.

paulc

Western Thunderer
It turned out I mistook a dried up jar of gun wash for my weathering paint! So having found the correct jar, the loco was 'weathered' this morning, not a full-fat version, but an everyday appearance that fits in better on a scenic layout...

View attachment 191653
Lucky for you , if you'd given it a squirt of gun wash it would be a complete respray if it hadn't attacked the plastic body . Nasty but wonderfull stuff .

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the added gen on weathered small Prairies. I am particularly grateful for the two colour pictures showing, as they do, other interesting things besides the loco.

I decided to add a little more weathering this morning, this time using a brush, enamel and turps....

WEB 45xx 5B.jpg

WEB 45xx 5C.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Track laid out roughly, but i'll know better once the station and goods shed are built. Platforms will be made from 4" X 1" planed wood glued to 1/8" cork to raise the height. The baseboard tapers from a width of 24" to 17" not only to give an illusion of perspective and distance, but to allow more walking space at the bottom end of the shed....
WEB Llanfair trial 10.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
When building a goods shed, I found it essential the roof be glued down to keep it flat. Loose roofs always bowed after the tiles were glued on....

WEB Goods narrow 8.jpg

Holding the roof down while the PVA Wood glue set....
WEB Goods narrow 9.jpg

The roof lights were filled in as usual using spare wood. I described how I made guttering in previous articles...
WEB Goods narrow 10.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Added this afternoon to show guttering (channel section), drainpipes etc. and chimney pots.....
WEB Station 7mm 9.jpg

Guttering rounded off on leading edge...
WEB Guttering .jpg

You can see why I built the station building much narrower than before to allow a lane behind the station to the goods yard....
WEB Station 7mm 8.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
0 Gauge was really a sprat to catch a Maceral in that it has gotten me back into the enjoyment of railway modelling, or more specifically, workbench modelling.

All the stored stuff was dug out today and Llanfair is continuing in 4mm/00....

Last edited: