4mm Llanfair ....

JasonBz

Western Thunderer
The cattle dock on the end of the road there works for me - its a bit Moretonhampstead looking :)

I believe that the access to cattle docks was, where practicable, kept pretty much separate from the general good facilities.
Such beasts are big, easy to spook, and hard to herd when they are spooked.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry,

perhaps a large gate across the access road to the goods yard at the far end of the cattle pen (your last photograph) to be kept shut when the cattle are being loaded/unloaded on/off of their transport would solve the problem.

regards

Mike

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Goods shed is safely away from stray hands and elbows! After laying yet another new siding spaced away from the running line to give the signalman a clear view past the goods shed, I discovered it wasn't necessary!
WEB Llanfair Rd 34A.jpg
Above is the latest view of the good shed....

Limited view of line from signalbox at Lechlade. It was the same situation at the Fairford. terminus of the branch.WEB Signal box & shed.jpg

Last edited:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Goods shed is safely away from stray hands and elbows! After laying yet another new siding spaced away from the running line to give the signalman a clear view past the goods shed, I discovered it wasn't necessary!
View attachment 168695

Limited view of line from signalbox at Lechlade and also the terminus at Fairford...
View attachment 168696
..so where is your turntable going to be situated then, ala Fairford?

regards

Mike

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Apologies.....I should have made it clear that the images I posted were of the re-sited cattle pen. Photoshopped image merely helped me make up my mind. I agree the cattle dock does look better where it is.
And spookily, that's exactly the position the cattle dock was in at Bodmin North. Makes sense to have it there. When the livestock traffic disappeared, the dock (without) fences was used to load barrels of presumably oil and other liquids.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry,

perhaps a large gate across the access road to the goods yard at the far end of the cattle pen (your last photograph) to be kept shut when the cattle are being loaded/unloaded on/off of their transport would solve the problem.
Spot on Mike and thanks for the tip. Gate now in place. At this stage, the coal yard was still at the bottom end......
WEB Llanfair Rd 35A.jpg

Bringing the coal yard closer makes the yard look longer and barer, and adds to the rural nature of the scene IMV...
WEB Llanfair Rd 35B.jpg

Naughty point rodding now disappears inside the coal bags hut.....
WEB Llanfair Rd 35C.jpg

A general view of proceedings....
WEB Llanfair Rd 35D.jpg

Last edited:

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry, I am really enjoying how this layout is evolving. It is fascinating how the smallest details can add so much to and about a scene.

Michael

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer

You've done more than me Larry. I've not done any model railway related activities for 4 months. My focus has been biting the bullet on domestic DIY projects. Various tools from the modelling drawers have been used and I'm sure that it will take a while for them all to be repatriated.

The train room floor is currently covered by dust sheets, the remnants of 16 sheets of cement board, boxes of tiles, plumbing supplies, a toilet, shower cubicle and sink. Just trying to keep the momentum going as the bathroom is needed back in use! Not easy when I'm also doing a full time job.

Looking forward to getting back onto working on my 7mm layout Pencarrow. The summer has seen various nice items of stock arrive (03, 63xx), with another item (45xx) due shortly and I really want to have a good play.

I'm enjoying your thread updates and seeing the progress, however slow.

simond

Western Thunderer
I rebuilt our en-suite bathroom, I just checked back in my RMW thread, in 2016.

There are four tiles that still need to be glued to the base of the shower and grouted, to finish the job.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
We had our bathroom rejigged in 2010. It’s still not finished.

In fact, I can beat that record with our kitchen. That was started in 2005…

simond

Western Thunderer
Ah, now, the kitchen I did in 2007. About 10 days before getting the job in India, so our lodgers got the benefit of that.
We just had it repainted last week, which got rid of the beer stains on the ceiling. (Kids are no longer teenagers!)
I replaced the under-cupboard lights, and I reckon it’s looking pretty good.
MrsD is however on a home improvement pathway at the mo’!

Sorry, Larry, this is entirely irrelevant.

Gismorail

Western Thunderer
Agree with all the praise about the development of the layout Larry most impressive. The moving of the cattle pens to the new position is a master stroke and from a logistics ( a phrase not known at the time of your model ) point of view is the correct position as escape routes for spooked cattle is reduced. The shading and dull effect that you have achieved on this structure is very reminiscent of the disused pens that can still be seen today at the old Corwen auction market.
Keep up the good work Larry really enjoying the project ;)

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Screwing down wood formers for an embankment...

WEB Embankment  1.jpg

Grass vinyl mat cut to shape with scissors and glued along the back edge to the wood with Evostik Impact....
WEB Embankment 2.jpg

Crumpled paper stuffed underneath and the edge nearest the track glued down, assisted with a heat gun and glove....
WEB Embankment 3.jpg

The easiest way I know of creating scenery. It will be covered with static grass eventually....
WEB Embankment 4.jpg

General view towards the station....
WEB Embankment 5.jpg