Trade ABS Models/Wrightlines/Classic Commercials News

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Hi David,

I've never seen a boxed ABS kit in the flesh... For them wot don't know, I assume wheels and bearings aren't included. Is this correct?

MarkR

Western Thunderer
Many, many years ago I scratchbuilt a GWR Mogo van, complete with ABS axleboxes, drawing pin buffer heads and black plastic wheels with metal axles, I am pretty sure the wheels were produced by Adrian. I still have the wagon, plus a few others built the same way.
Mark

djparkins

Western Thunderer
Many, many years ago I scratchbuilt a GWR Mogo van, complete with ABS axleboxes, drawing pin buffer heads and black plastic wheels with metal axles, I am pretty sure the wheels were produced by Adrian. I still have the wagon, plus a few others built the same way.
Mark

Ah yes - Those wheels. They were Adrian's attempt to produce some budget wheels. - we have quite a lot of the 3 hole wagon wagon, & 3' 7" coach. We will put them on the site as a budget wheel option. They look fine in most respects and might be ideal for a vehicle that spends most of it's time in a siding or tucked away in the corner of a yard. They seem to be quite 'true' so may be absolutely fine for running. Each set comes with PTFE tubing as a bearing. I'll put 'em on the site next week.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
My 3 ABS wagon kits arrived safely this morning, thanks David.

Had a quick look inside one box this morning, packed in May 1993 by the looks of the Radio Times packing! Takes me back, I was sitting my university finals...

Anyway, the castings look clean and crisp. Should be a nice build, although I think I'll upgrade the drawing pin buffers. I assume they are drawing pins?

Any tips on building them appreciated.

Tony Overton

Western Thunderer
In the past I had used dear old Araldite for the main body parts, but now I've tended to use Superglue. So I'll be interested to hear which glue you use, or indeed if you opt for low melt solder.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Well as we say in the announcement on our site - the pins will be going once the wagons are produced by us. What we are selling currently are the kits that Adrian had packed prior to his ceasing trading, and obviously the price reflects this.

Definitely not a complaint David and the kits are great value as they stand. Adding modern buffers to the new production will be icing on the cake.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
In the past I had used dear old Araldite for the main body parts, but now I've tended to use Superglue. So I'll be interested to hear which glue you use, or indeed if you opt for low melt solder.

I'm not sure yet what to use. I've not done any white metal kit soldering for 10+ years and don't really want to experiment on the wagon sides :))

John TAYLOR

Western Thunderer
I'm not sure yet what to use. I've not done any white metal kit soldering for 10+ years and don't really want to experiment on the wagon sides :))

Gorrilla Glue is the way to go...... the blue cap.

DSC04529.JPG

No real need to change the drawing pin buffer heads as I don`t know a replacement buffer that is as good profile wise as Adrians product.

5491228563_42208f878f_z.jpg

DSC04840.JPG

DSC05757.JPG

They take a little while to fettle ....but that used to be called `modelling` :)

djparkins

Western Thunderer
May I ask here where did the Zero One gauge O kits for?

Thanks

Julian

The Zero Zephyrs. I got eight kits [the four diesel shunters, a simplex, and the Wickham Trolley + two LSWR steam locos and the 36 Ton breakdown crane - the rest went elsewhere. I know but I don't know if he has announced it so I'll leave it to him.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Simplex? :)

I can't find any reference on the www to a Zero Zephyrs Simplex - is it by any chance a re-gauged WD Tin Turtle (example pictured taken from Martyn Welch's website - this one may be modified from a Wrightlines NG kit), or the standard civvy model with cast ends, or something altogether different?

Regauged Tin Turtle.jpg Standard Simplex.png

djparkins

Western Thunderer

I can't find any reference on the www to a Zero Zephyrs Simplex - is it by any chance a re-gauged WD Tin Turtle (example pictured taken from Martyn Welch's website - this one may be modified from a Wrightlines NG kit), or the standard civvy model with cast ends, or something altogether different?

View attachment 151186 View attachment 151187

Yes - as in your colour photo. We obviously have the narrow gauge simplexes so it makes sense for us to have the standard gauge one too. We have a few in stock at a good price. Will put them up on the site next week.

daifly

Western Thunderer
Allow me:
Picture1.png
From the Zero Zephyrs 2012 catalogue.
Dave