7mm Bleddfa Road

Muddysblues

Western Thunderer
Thank you Michael, I must admit that I have enjoyed painting the scene and watching it develop myself:)

Thanks Jason, those very hills provided plenty of inspiration.

Cheers Craig,

I'm dead from the neck up after leaning over the layout to paint those scenes! :D

View attachment 131691

Just glad that I can see light at the end of the paintbrush now. Those trees around the station building are there to catch shadows and will eventually have proper unkempt hedgerows, bushes and bosky trees in front of them. The trees behind the water tower are in the process of being highlighted, and will have proper modelled examples in front and to each side.

Geoff

Geoff, the million dollar $$ question, would you ever go back to 4mm now ?

Best regards
Craig.

Geoff

Western Thunderer
I will kick this update off by thanking everyone who has been kind enough to post comments and likes, all of which are very much appreciated.

Geoff, the million dollar $$ question, would you ever go back to 4mm now ?

Best regards
Craig.

The short answer to that Craig is no, though my stud of 4mm locos that ran very well, they just can't compete with the running qualities or sheer presence of the larger models. The same goes for rolling stock, even a single wagon stabled on a siding has the same presence and feeling of weight. It is often said that you don't need much in 7mm scale, and I have found that to be very true. I hope you are able to make the most of your coming free time and make a start on your own project ;)

Anyway and moving on, I finished the backscene yesterday and here's some shots from a different angle for a change.

P1180108.JPG

Those trees in the background will have some modelled ones in front of them in hope of creating a feeling of depth.

P1180109.JPG

Likewise the unkempt hedgerows behind and around the platform will have modelled examples in front of them.
Geoff

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Progress has come to a shuddering halt at Bleddfa Road due to my wife being hospitalized with Covid-19. After a couple of days on oxygen and being pumped full of antibiotics, not to mention some fantastic care in Warrington General she is now back at home, and on the long road to recovery. I too have tested positive but have only lost my sense of taste and smell, in fact it feels just like having a cold, so I have been very lucky indeed. We stuck rigidly to the rules, had our shopping delivered from day one and on the rare occasions when we ventured out we wore masks. So please do be careful out there, I would hate anyone to go through the same experience as we have.

I think it will be a while before my modelling gets back on track so I will leave you with a selection of monochrome images that were taken a few weeks ago.

P1180121.JPG
P1180123.JPG
P1180124.JPG
P1180125.JPG
And finally one of my favourites..........

P1180131.JPG

Take care and stay safe.

Geoff

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Geoff. Bad news indeed, but good that your wife is now at home and you have been less affected.

Mrs D and I have been shielding since March but your experience is salutary and we'll take even greater care.

Many thanks for the warning, and hope that everything will improve for you from now onwards.

Brian

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I love this layout.

It is rather worrying to read the Kung Flu' got through despite all the care you and your good lady had been taking. I only know of one person who has had it; my youngest son in Blackpool, but his job puts him on the firing line.

adrian

Flying Squad
Progress has come to a shuddering halt at Bleddfa Road due to my wife being hospitalized with Covid-19. After a couple of days on oxygen and being pumped full of antibiotics, not to mention some fantastic care in Warrington General she is now back at home, and on the long road to recovery. I too have tested positive but have only lost my sense of taste and smell, in fact it feels just like having a cold, so I have been very lucky indeed. We stuck rigidly to the rules, had our shopping delivered from day one and on the rare occasions when we ventured out we wore masks. So please do be careful out there, I would hate anyone to go through the same experience as we have.
Sorry to hear you and your better half have been exposed and had to deal with all the crap it entails, I felt a little uneasy about "liking" your post so please take it a message of support. Although I'm glad to hear that the care has been excellent and hopefully you are on the road to recovery. We've managed to steer clear so far but we have half a dozen friends and colleagues who have been exposed to varying degrees and as you say it's not nice. I hope you have a support network to help you at this time - however I'm not far away at Preston so if you need anything please, please do shout up - I'd be only glad to help out. As we've gone into lockdown again my wife has gone into baking mode. So to save me putting on another couple of stone in weight then if you'd like some cakes and/or brownies then only too glad to provide!!

Regards & Stay safe!

Geoff

Western Thunderer
I would just like to thank you all for your lovely messages of support, the offers of cake and for wishing us both a speedy recovery.

Thank you all very much, your kind words and gestures are very much appreciated.

I'll catch up with you all as soon as I can.

Geoff & Heather

Nick Rogers

Western Thunderer
I would just like to thank you all for your lovely messages of support, the offers of cake and for wishing us both a speedy recovery.

Thank you all very much, your kind words and gestures are very much appreciated.

I'll catch up with you all as soon as I can.

Geoff & Heather

Take care both of you.

Best wishes,

Nick.

michael mott

Western Thunderer
So sorry to hear about your bout with The Covid 19, It is a nasty Trojan type virus We are seeing a spike here in Alberta and it is worrisome over a 1000 cases today. Glad to hear that you and your wife are recovering.

Michael

Suddaby

Western Thunderer
Hi Geoff,
Sorry to hear you and your good lady fell foul of this virus. Hope the recovery is soon complete, and look forward to seeing you commenting again on Bleddfa Road.
All the best,

Kevin

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Before I begin this latest update I would once again like to thank everyone for their get well wishes and messages of support. Though we are still not back to full health we are slowly getting there, and can at last see some light at the end of the tunnel. I think I have replied personally to everyone who left a message here on the thread now, apologies if I have missed anyone out.

IMG_0409.JPG

I eased my way back into modelling by scribing the water tower stonework, the next job will be to paint and weather it before the window and door are installed. The tank itself is in need of a little tidying up, then the addition of some pipework and a ladder will more or less complete the build.

IMG_0521.JPG

This Slater's 7 plank has been on and off my workbench for the last twelve months, but after reading how to paint unpainted wagons by Martyn Welch in MRJ 262, I decided to try his weathering techniques. Had I not run out of a couple of paints and thinners then it would probably have been finished by now. The lettering is from the Railtec range, and the interior has been fitted out by using Mr Parkins etched sides, the body top rail and brackets being from the same etch.

At the other end of the layout I have been working on my version of Blodwell Junction road bridge, and have finally come up with a design for the lime kiln..........

IMG_0408.JPG

The buffer stop is a much modified Peco kit, which is slowly being over run with long grasses and weeds. The track and ballast is yet to be painted and weathered. I will be covering the bridge abutments and lime kiln with DAS modelling clay, stonework will then be carved into the surfaces of both.

P1180256.JPG

Finally to round things off a Bradford Barton inspired photo of 7719 leaving Bleddfa Road with a short goods train.

Geoff

Last edited:

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Good to hear things are improving, Geoff.

In relation to the 7 plank, can I ask, what's the name of the firm producing the etched interior ?

Rob.

Geoff

Western Thunderer
I very glad to hear that you both are improving and it's lovely to see progress on the layout too.

Thank you Neil, it is good to be back modelling again.

Good to hear things are improving, Geoff.

In relation to the 7 plank, can I ask, what's the name of the firm producing the etched interior ?

Rob.

Thanks Rob.

The etched interiors are produced by D.J Parkins who is a member of this very forum, and offers an excellent mail order service.
David J Parkins He produces plenty of other useful wagon detailing bits and pieces as well

I find it best to glue the etches to 10thou styrene sheet with a spray contact adhesive, and then cement the styrene complete with etch to the wagon interior with solvent. Barry Norman came up with the idea, which makes for a far neater job.

P1160967 (2).JPG

Geoff

Last edited: