Book Books

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Heyday of the Hydraulics, Hugh Dady

My copy arrived yesterday. :thumbs: What a great book, some EXELLENT photo's :drool:
Phill, the pic on page 30 of a class 22 SYP in blue on freight........ i can see this in your garden :thumbs: :drool:
My fav pic has to be Western Hero on 6V53 clay empties on page 5 :drool: :drool: . But close behind is page 65 Western Nobleman + D816 Eclipse on 6B64 mixed goods :cool: :cool:

Rob :wave:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Heyday of the Hydraulics, Hugh Dady

lancer1027 said:
My fav pic has to be Western Hero on 6V53 clay empties on page 5 :drool: :drool: . But close behind is page 65 Western Nobleman + D816 Eclipse on 6B64 mixed goods :cool: :cool:

Rob :wave:
I don't think I really can pick a favourite, they are all gems :cool: :cool: :cool: ...........best Hydraulic book in a long while IMO :thumbs:

Phill :wave:

Simon

Flying Squad
Superb new book with "unexpected hydraulics"

Shameless plug department :oops:

I have just recieved copies of Jeff Grayer's new book that covers the very last year of S&D operations together with lots of pictures of the freight only and demolition trains that ran after closure in March 1966.

It is published today (1st September) and I have updated my website :shock: :shock: :shock:

The best page to look at is:

http://www.titfield.co.uk/Featured.htm part way down (it is alphabetical by title down the page)

There are some absolutely amazing pictures in it (of hydraulics) mostly class 22s but also Hymeks and a few westerns, plus shunters and DMUs - all in colour.

What really sets this book apart is that the photos were taken by Derek Fear, a Radstock engineman who was "in the know", which has resulted in there being good clear pictures in this book of things I thought I'd never see a photo of.

For example the preparatory groundworks for the GW/S&D chord line put in at Radstock after closure, the running of the Bristol breakdown crane to rerail wagons that "ran away" down the line when kids undid the brakes, (very fortunately piling up at Norton Hill sidings rather than ploughing in to the level crossings at Radstock) pictorial proof of rail based recovery of the final Midsomer Norton to Radstock section after the main demolition contract had finished, and a cracking shot of a Western hauling the very last Writhlington coal out of Radstock (in HAAs) where the actual flash of a detonator going off has been recorded. Plus lots and lots of really good shots, even a couple of double headed 37s taking the fly ash trains into Highbridge for the M5 construction - not the best quality but who ever thought a picture ofthat would ever get published

A truly stonking book :thumbs:

?19.95 plus post from me, other bookshops are available :lol:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

'Sabotaged & Defeated' by Jeffrey Grayer is well worth a look too if you like Hydraulics on the S & D.............lots of lovely Class 22 & Hymek pics :drool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Phill :thumbs:

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer

Simon said:
I have just recieved copies of Jeff Grayer's new book that covers the very last year of S&D operations together with lots of pictures of the freight only and demolition trains that ran after closure in March 1966.

A truly stonking book :thumbs:

I bought a copy at Telford and it is indeed a superb book - highly recommended. :thumbs: :drool: :drool:

Regards

Dan

F

Figaro

I worked with a Jeff Grayer at Bristol Omnibus Co. in the 1970s and this must be him. We lost touch after he left.

I used to travel on the S&D as a kid and my interest in railways continues, although I left the area some years ago. I ought to track down his books as I've not seen them up here.

Anyone know how to contact him?

Geoff Kerr
Todmorden
West Yorkshire

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

I didn't realise when I mentioned 'Sabotaged & Defeated' that this book was the follow on, if it's anything like the first one it will be a most welcome addition :D :cool: :cool: :cool: :thumbs: ..........the book on the later days of the Withered Arm by the same author looks promising too :drool:

Simon

Flying Squad

Figaro said:
I worked with a Jeff Grayer at Bristol Omnibus Co. in the 1970s and this must be him. We lost touch after he left.

I used to travel on the S&D as a kid and my interest in railways continues, although I left the area some years ago. I ought to track down his books as I've not seen them up here.

Anyone know how to contact him?

Geoff Kerr
Todmorden
West Yorkshire

Hi Geoff

I see Jeff pretty regularly, if you pm me I'll pass on his phone number to you.

I would think it must be the same Jeff, he is pretty well clued up on buses and in fact the section in his new book on the replacement bus services is a one of the most interesting bits of the book.

Simon

Simon

Flying Squad

Phill Dyson said:
I didn't realise when I mentioned 'Sabotaged & Defeated' that this book was the follow on, if it's anything like the first one it will be a most welcome addition :D :cool: :cool: :cool: :thumbs: ..........the book on the later days of the Withered Arm by the same author looks promising too :drool:

Indeed, one of my favourite pictures in it shows a blue class 22 passing through Grogley with some of the Presflos used for Delabole slate dust in tow. He is currently putting the finishing touches to a new book on disused lines in Sussex too.

He is also planning to do another one on the withered arm and Devon and Cornwall and I mentioned to him your very good pictures (on your flikr site), I think he might be interested in using some for the new book if you were interested.

I'll happily give you his phone number of you'd like to follow it up, or vice versa if you prefer.

Simon

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

Simon said:
He is also planning to do another one on the withered arm and Devon and Cornwall and I mentioned to him your very good pictures (on your flikr site), I think he might be interested in using some for the new book if you were interested.

I'll happily give you his phone number of you'd like to follow it up, or vice versa if you prefer.

Simon

Hi Simon :wave:

I think all the Withered Arm ones are on Flikr now so if Jeffrey wishes to have a look & fancy's using some of them we can sort it out no problem :thumbs: ........just let me know ;) .

The rest are nearly all Southern Region in the 60's. I did think about posting the whole lot on here as a resource but I'm not sure if they appropriate for a Western forum & I didn't want to swamp the forum with 200+ colour slides :scratch:

Phill :thumbs:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

Pugsley said:
[quote=""Phill Dyson"":2mlzxqkl]
Is that the TVP one that Mike Arlett narrates ? http://www.transportvideo.com/the-somer ... 748-0.html I quite fancy that one myself :cool:
I'd recommend it, Phill, it's really interesting and there's some good footage of class 22 and Hymeks.[/quote:2mlzxqkl]

Cheers Pugs :thumbs: , I think I will be asking Santa for that one then :laugh:

S

Simon Dunkley

Does the video have a genuine sound track, or was it a cine film with sound (narration, maybe) dubbed later?

Simon

Pugsley

Western Thunderer

From memory (it's been a while since I watched now), some of the footage has a genuine soundtrack, but there were other parts of it that didn't quite seem to fit.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

Captain Kernow said:
[quote=""Pugsley"":j7i0dqaw]but there were other parts of it that didn't quite seem to fit.
I think it's the real Mike Arlett, though..... :D[/quote:j7i0dqaw]
:laugh: ....very good :lol: :lol: :lol:

westernfan

Western Thunderer

Just got my copy of sabotaged and defeated revisited.A very good book with lots of colour images :thumbs:, and as mentioned in the publishers preface the images are morbidly fascinating, as i was when exploring Hole  and Hatherleigh station on the Torrington - Halwill line back in the early 70s with the rails removed but with the buildings still intact and nature slowly reclaiming the infastructure . i also used to feel this fascination roaming around dai woodhams yard ,what a sad sight all those steam locos slowly rusting away with the help of the sea breeze coming in from the channel .Yet when i saw the first of the early warships there with a class 21 i didnt feel a thing ! ahh childhood memories .

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

westernfan said:
Just got my copy of sabotaged and defeated revisited.A very good book with lots of colour images :thumbs:, and as mentioned in the publishers preface the images are morbidly fascinating, as i was when exploring Hole  and Hatherleigh station on the Torrington - Halwill line back in the early 70s with the rails removed but with the buildings still intact and nature slowly reclaiming the infastructure . i also used to feel this fascination roaming around dai woodhams yard ,what a sad sight all those steam locos slowly rusting away with the help of the sea breeze coming in from the channel .Yet when i saw the first of the early warships there with a class 21 i didnt feel a thing ! ahh childhood memories .
I prefer the original Sabotaged & Defeated, but having said that I do like 'Revisited' as well.  I share your fascination with Barry (I made childhood pilgrimages too) & my railway is heavily influenced by my visit to the then recently closed Ilfracombe branch...............'In The Tracks Of The Ace' by the same author is well worth a look too IMO  :thumbs:

Phill  :wave: