BR Blue shunty planky TMD yard layout 33 challenge SPITAL JUNCTION now Kings Cross Depot

lnerjp

Western Thunderer
And there is no check rail on that left hand line under the 40 - the next 3 have one......​

The road with the 40 on is slightly less servire.

Wiki claims minimum radius is 4½ chains which I find....interesting....as that is very sharp, standard for container flats is 7 chains. It could be because the Class 40 draw gear is attached to the bogie and thus will reduce buffer lock, where as a container flat or coach does not and are of similar length.

Normally minimum radius curves are taken at dead slow (walking pace). Iteresting question as to why a bogied coach or wagon would not be aloud around such a tight radius, possible guesses been due to the overhang and been out of gauge, or due to the risk of it de-railing as it is pulled into the curve ie. being physically pulled over. Only applicable when to have several viechles?

Keep up the layout suggestions, it's giving me lots to think about as I need a short shunting test track.

J.P.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
I was assuming as both roads came out of the shed from parallel that the left (inner) one would be a smaller radius - at least near the shed ( but maybe the check rail starts under the beast.....).

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I was assuming as both roads came out of the shed from parallel that the left (inner) one would be a smaller radius - at least near the shed ( but maybe the check rail starts under the beast.....).
Not so, it's the distance from the points to the shed front that counts, although the left one should be the tighter radius, it's not because it not running parallel to the other, it's running on a closing course and because it's further from the points (behind photographer) will have a larger radius.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
It looks like that both roads go in to the same point which would interesting to model.
Not quite Phil, the crossing of the class 40 track is just behind the switch blades of the points the camera man is standing on, they are very close, Bing maps has a good view of this area.

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Just noticed on bing maps some Tesco traffic just north of the depot :)

Do you think I could get away with a4 points on those sharp curves?

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Graham, will I need to make a special jig for the Vee?
The items which are available from the S7 Stores are summarised in the Supply of Crossing and Vee Jigs thread. Whilst the stores does offer a crossing assembly jig for 1:4 crossings there is no corresponding Vee filing jig - the use of the different jigs are summarised in the Jigs and Gauges for track making thread.

I have had to make Vees of non-integral angles for Hartley Hill, the current work is making a turnout where the crossing angle is 1:8.25 and there is no filing jig for that angle, see Making a common crossing thread. This thread shows how I have made the vee by using the nearest Vee filing jig to the required angle... and by making a jig to hold the point rail and splice rail whilst soldering the two parts together.

For a 1:4 crossing I suggest that you will probably gain by making a Vee assembly jig to simplify the soldering of the two rails of the vee. You can try to twist Paul Stokes arm for a 1:4 filing jig... desirable although not obligatory.

regards, Graham

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Hi, still thinking on my super plan.

Has anyone got a track plane from the early seventies for the depot at kings cross?

Pic below of the area I'm after.

image.jpg

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I have, but I'm not giving them to you as I'd been planning that too LOL ;) , seriously, give me a short while to dredge my memory and try to remember whey they are stored printed and I'll get them across to you.

Andrew Thompson

Western Thunderer
I have, but I'm not giving them to you as I'd been planning that too LOL ;) , seriously, give me a short while to dredge my memory and try to remember whey they are stored printed and I'll get them across to you.

Both.

I have an actual BR scale plan I obtained from BR Eastern region in the 70's . Once I dig it out of the attic can let you know the size and cost to print and post if you are interested .(Shows all the crossing angles etc all in imperial none of this this metric rubbish)

Andrew.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Andrew, I'd like a copy when you get chance, I've two copies, a hand draw BR one (off the web) and a more official LNER one (will scan this evening) with measurments and such like, though steam based it does give a good idea of the site and only a few tracks changed over the years, namely the additional one outside the huts close to the station throat and of course the removal of the Turntable, of which I cannot find a definative date and I'm sure there would have been a short crossover period when steam officialy left and diesels, specifically Deltics were there.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Its a well photographed area and IIRC Diesel and Electric on 35mm videos (1&2) show this area quite a bit.

Views from the station side abound but other views from other angles are much harder to obtain, especially in diesel days, I've only one shot from above the tunnel mouths showing the turntable area in steam days and only three or four from the road way down onto the depot.

Andrew Thompson

Western Thunderer
Views from the station side abound but other views from other angles are much harder to obtain, especially in diesel days, I've only one shot from above the tunnel mouths showing the turntable area in steam days and only three or four from the road way down onto the depot.
Mickoo
Gavin Morrison has a shot at ground level in one of the loco shed books early 70 s looking back from the ex turntable area cant see much of the tracks but reasonable view of the signing on buildings .Also Bradford and Barton Diesels in close up Deltics and 47s on the stabling point . I will route out the plan and let you know the details in due course .

Andrew