BR Blue shunty planky TMD yard layout 33 challenge SPITAL JUNCTION now Kings Cross Depot

Colin M

Western Thunderer
This will be at least one exhibition hopefully for the judging in October '14.

Blimey!:) I couldn't even start to contemplate building an entire layout in less than a couple of years.

Is there somewhere I can see the "33 challenge" on -line? I'm interested to see the criteria.

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
I've got to finish my 08 conversion to S7 first but I've a bachy 03 to do next. If its possible, then no excuse for you Colin, especially as there is a huge s7 roundy on your door step! :)

Resistance is futile...

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
I've only got four tracks across the width though. Do you really think that is too tight?
Personally, yes. I'm looking at my cutting mat, which is 450mm deep, with my 37 on it and I think you're trying to cram too much in to the width. I guess it depends what you want though - if operation is your thing, and you're happy to compromise on the setting, then it will be fine.

Looking back to my 4mm layout, Chittle, the end closest to the camera in the photo below was 14 inches (360mm) wide, IIRC.
PA182262.jpg

Looking at that pic, it looks about right with the 3 EM tracks on there, but you're looking to get 4 S7 tracks in the same width. Do you need that front track?

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
The baseboards are built but I suppose I could add 6 inches to them to get the extra width as I do see what you mean. I've already lost the run through track to the front....

I want a shed layout, so do you think I should lose the siding and signal box?

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Again, I guess it depends what you want to achieve. With the layout above, I wanted to show that a small layout doesn't have to be cramped, but it can cut down on the operating potential though.

How about having the shed accessible from one end only, and have it up against the bridge end? You could have the fuel spur and headshunt at the other end, retaining the signalbox, but losing the FS track, which doesn't seem to serve any real purpose and is taking up valuable board space.

mickoo

Western Thunderer

Phil

Sorry, it's still a little complicated for a depot IMHO, the amount of points you have there would suit a much larger depot, rather than a fuel servicing point, I understand what's trying to be accomplished but less is more.

The red loop doesn't appear to serve a purpose, from a real railway perspective. If each square is 12" long then you can only store two locos and as a run round, run round for what? You can achieve exactly the same path via the other track and points, railways never, ok, rarely, replicate trackwork or pathing.

Within that space I think a two road single ended shed would be better at the front right hand end, something like Shirebrook with a fuel rack out front, along the back would be a line, single, or if you boards are wider double, your locos can enter and exit via that and it allows you to run a simple passenger service, two car DMU etc, your fiddle yards are only two tracks wide. Your dead or stored locos would be at front left, but I'd question how many need storing, if they can't be fixed locally and they can be towed then they would normally be towed off pretty quick to a depot that could fix them, two or three stored would be your max I think.

Serviced locos ready for the next service are a different matter, at Peterborough those were normally shunted down to the two roads by the station I believe.

Your double cross over is actually working against you operationally, its making it too easy to get from the shed, middle right I presume to the front track or storage, if you loose one of those cross overs it will entail a double shunt to store locos or to release and thus add more operational interest and thinking about how to get locos in and out. Try and see what it looks like with the right hand cross over removed and the left hand one put there in its place, you'd have more head shunt space to store locos with.

Without buildings and standing back a bit from the screen the current layout looks more like the approach to Waterloo than a small service depot and once you add buildings then it will get very cramped and you may not actually have room to add the shed, even single track sheds are quite a bit wider than we probably imagine. That may well be the effect your looking for, I dunno.

Hope this isn't taken the wrong way, no offence intended, just ideas in the pot, I'm heading back to the bunker LOL.

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Ok, I need a plan! I can save my Peterborough TMD extravaganza for when the loft conversion is complete.

I want to run blue loco's from circa 69 to 84ish, this will allow for a few Green loco's to guest appear and save quite a bit of updating to my Heljan loco's as they will be early 70's. ill also be able run my fledging Polybulker fleet that came in the 80's.

Also want a bit of the layout to be a diorama for taking pictures and displaying my project builds as I get them done. Cranes, tractor shunters etc as I get them done. Also like the idea of loco storage as I have loco's more than stock. Like the idea of four or five Heljans with SWD sound drowning out the conversation..

The baseboard frames are 450 x 1200 but I've been toying with the idea of making a curved front just to be different. That would make the middle board potentially 600 deep. I do have 2 x 700 x 1200 boards but these are for the fiddles really.

So any ideas? I'm in need!

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Ancaster?

Twin track mainline from Grantham to Sleaford, local station with service and a small yard serving a GRAIN terminal ;)

Just a thought mind :thumbs:

Western Thunderer
Ok, I need a plan! I can save my Peterborough TMD extravaganza for when the loft conversion is complete.

I want to run blue loco's from circa 69 to 84ish, this will allow for a few Green loco's to guest appear and save quite a bit of updating to my Heljan loco's as they will be early 70's. ill also be able run my fledging Polybulker fleet that came in the 80's.

Also want a bit of the layout to be a diorama for taking pictures and displaying my project builds as I get them done. Cranes, tractor shunters etc as I get them done. Also like the idea of loco storage as I have loco's more than stock. Like the idea of four or five Heljans with SWD sound drowning out the conversation..

So any ideas? I'm in need!

Love that idea Phil. Watchin this thread very closely :thumbs:

Steve :cool:

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Just looking now. The yard is gone but survived well into the 80's. I used to be stationed just up the road at Cranwell so did some digging when I was there. Forgot to add the excuse to run the Skeggy summer specials. Double headed 20's on Mk 1's all in glorius blue :p

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
That's a possibility. I had Kennet in mind which is near Bury St Edmunds and I also used to work there a long long time ago.

A twin track through station, and small goods yard with grain unloading/loading facilities.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Phil,

Adding in facilities for the Polybulker might be difficult but I can see why you'd want to do that to add interest but it might complicate things.

Found these images on top of the ones above that might stimulate some depot ideas, can't find a higher angle for Shirebrook but I think that'll be too large, Severn Tunnel Jct or Newport Ebbw Jct might work well, Buxton too, granted these may not be in the regions you prefer but it's the track plan that you'll use and add scenery to suit your taste.

The Newton Heath one I've added where I'd add a cross over in either of the two places but not both, your crane would go on the track far left, I'd add a bridge behind the fuel depot with a short exposed length so locos can come through there if you wanted, I'd retain the side of the shed as a back drop, but not sure how to close off the end below the camera, maybe just a row of buffer stops and the class 40 would be heading to a head shunt. Actually probably more track than you had originally LOL but it is a good example of how simple the real railways lay out tracks.

Inverness would add a older touch, keep the heritage buildings with some newer additions to fit with your choice of stock (nice choice of era BTW), and, theres always Kings X passenger loco for a really cramped fueling point, no space for your crane but plenty of locos kicking around.

Copyright unknown except where noted.

Severn Tunnel Jct
Severn Tunnel Jct.jpg

Inverness, we'd loose the fuel rack at far right and add it to track running down the right of the shed.
Inverness_TMD.jpg

Kings X passenger loco
Kings Cross Locomotive Yard.jpg

Newport Ebbw Jct
Newport Ebbw Jct.jpg

Newton Heath
Newton Heath_01.jpg

Don't worry, I've been bouncing off the walls with an almost identical set of conundrums and grabbing images hither and thither for years LOL

mickoo

Western Thunderer
That's a possibility. I had Kennet in mind which is near Bury St Edmunds and I also used to work there a long long time ago.

A twin track through station, and small goods yard with grain unloading/loading facilities.

That of course is the other way to go, rural and as simple as it gets and rely on passing trains to keep interest :thumbs:

Not sure how you speed them up and stop them with short fiddle yards each end mind LOL, haven't worked that out either.