Captain Kernow's layouts

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Hi Tim
What glue did you use
John
Oh, sorry, doh!

Yes, the glue, I think I used my current method, which is to use a Pritt stick, usually on the card and then put the paper carefully over the top.

For strips of roof slates (either Howard Scenics or Scalescenes), I would apply the Pritt to one strip at a time, get it positioned correctly and tamp it flat, before moving on to the next one.

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
I have now started a scratchbuild of the brick weighbridge hut from Leckhampton, the drawings for which are in the first volume of the Eric Plans booklets (mine has a price of 36p on the cover!).

I planned to build several structures from the two GW booklets back in the day (in the 1970s), but the only one I actually completed was a model of Dunster station building, prior to the reopening of the WSR and long before Hornby had thoughts of bringing out their own version of it.

As such, it feels good to be having another go at one of these buildings, even if it's only a small one, all these years later.

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
Oh, sorry, doh!

Yes, the glue, I think I used my current method, which is to use a Pritt stick, usually on the card and then put the paper carefully over the top.

For strips of roof slates (either Howard Scenics or Scalescenes), I would apply the Pritt to one strip at a time, get it positioned correctly and tamp it flat, before moving on to the next one.
Hi Tim, many thanks

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Hi John,

The cottages in the recent photos are the Howard Scenics kits. The brickpaper comes with the kits and is based on hand-painted, water colour originals, as far as I am aware, although I can't recall who the original artist and designer of the kits was.

Glue CK, glue!

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Recent work includes continuing with the 'old school' landscaping and building the weighbridge hut (based on the Leckhampton ones in the Eric Plans book):

I've also been playing around with some photos of Victorian factories from the internet, reducing them to a suitable size, cutting them out and placing them between the major existing structures that form the backscene:

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
I hadn't originally planned to have a weighbridge hut on 'Callow Lane', but recently decided that there ought to be one.

The location is within the blue circle, at the bottom of the approach lane:

As documented earlier in this thread, I have been (slowly!) scratchbuilding a model of the Leckhampton building, using the drawings from the old EricPlans booklet, which for me is a bit of a nostalgic trip back to younger modelling days.

The building still isn't finished, but just needs the chimney and roof details finishing off.

In the meantime, I have been pondering how to place the Smiths etched weighbridge plate. I wanted it to be flush with the existing yard surface and not visibly sit on top of it.

The surface of the yard at that location is tile grout, laid in place a few years ago sanded very smooth, to represent a metaled surface (part of which has worn away in places, to reveal old cobbles beneath).

In the end, I marked out the exact site for the weighbridge plate and scored the tile grout, along the outline, with a sharp scalpel. I then got a rotary tool going and removed tile grout to a depth of approx 2mm. The sides were cleaned up and the etched weighbridge plate placed loosely inside, to ensure that it was not proud of the adjacent ground level:

The weighbridge hut building was also placed alongside, to get an idea of what it would look like:

The next step was to glue the etched plate in place, using 5 minute epoxy. Sufficient epoxy was used to act as a 'filler' between the tile grout and the plate itself and the whole thing weighed down until the glue had cured overnight.

A very thin gap around the sides of the brass plate were then filled with a mixture of Polyfilla and PVA and left to set overnight.

I then marked round the weighbridge plate, to show where I would scribe some surrounding granite setts:

I then scribed the setts into the tile grout:

Next steps, apart from finishing the weighbridge hut, will be to spray the brass plate with primer and a top coat and paint the surrounding granite setts.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I hadn't originally planned to have a weighbridge hut on 'Callow Lane', but recently decided that there ought to be one.

The location is within the blue circle, at the bottom of the approach lane:

As documented earlier in this thread, I have been (slowly!) scratchbuilding a model of the Leckhampton building, using the drawings from the old EricPlans booklet, which for me is a bit of a nostalgic trip back to younger modelling days.

The building still isn't finished, but just needs the chimney and roof details finishing off.

In the meantime, I have been pondering how to place the Smiths etched weighbridge plate. I wanted it to be flush with the existing yard surface and not visibly sit on top of it.

The surface of the yard at that location is tile grout, laid in place a few years ago sanded very smooth, to represent a metaled surface (part of which has worn away in places, to reveal old cobbles beneath).

In the end, I marked out the exact site for the weighbridge plate and scored the tile grout, along the outline, with a sharp scalpel. I then got a rotary tool going and removed tile grout to a depth of approx 2mm. The sides were cleaned up and the etched weighbridge plate placed loosely inside, to ensure that it was not proud of the adjacent ground level:

The weighbridge hut building was also placed alongside, to get an idea of what it would look like:

The next step was to glue the etched plate in place, using 5 minute epoxy. Sufficient epoxy was used to act as a 'filler' between the tile grout and the plate itself and the whole thing weighed down until the glue had cured overnight.

A very thin gap around the sides of the brass plate were then filled with a mixture of Polyfilla and PVA and left to set overnight.

I then marked round the weighbridge plate, to show where I would scribe some surrounding granite setts:

I then scribed the setts into the tile grout:

Next steps, apart from finishing the weighbridge hut, will be to spray the brass plate with primer and a top coat and paint the surrounding granite setts.

CK, I was expecting you to put bags of cement in the Blue Circle... Hat. Coat. Etc

Looking good. I also have nostalgia for the Ericplans books and built a pair of stone cottages from one of the drawings - one of my first ever scratch built structures. Still in use on a club layout some 38 years later.

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Looks good Tim, only one comment to make, would have been easier to add some gun blue to the deck before fitting it?

PS, I find the brass takes paint better.
Yes, I thought about spraying the weighbridge plate first, but I knew that I would need to have masking tape all over it, in order to put the filler around the edges and didn't want to risk the tape removing some of the paint, so I will mask the surrounding ground off and spray the plate in situ.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Looking good. A similar weighbridge is available in laser cut form and, being wood, it looks suitably rusty. I painted the parts where wheels regularly passed over it with weak Humbrol 27003 'Metalcoat' and then slightly polished it when dry.

GrahameH

Western Thunderer
Yes, I thought about spraying the weighbridge plate first, but I knew that I would need to have masking tape all over it, in order to put the filler around the edges and didn't want to risk the tape removing some of the paint, so I will mask the surrounding ground off and spray the plate in situ.

You'll get there I'm certain of that.

Looking very good as per your usual standards.