Crane Locomotives

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Mike, how do you just ' find' 00 handrail knobs? I can't find something I was using 20 mins ago!

regards Rog
Hi Rog

I recently had a tidy-up of all my accumulated small fittings. I vaguely remembered the whereabouts of said handrail knobs. If I was looking for the same in say six months time I dare say I'll have forgotten their very existence! ;)

All the best
Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
I've had to order some nuts and bolts to help with this build/bodgery :) so while I await their delivery I thought I'd add a few bits of extra detail.

20231228_164138.jpg20231228_164527.jpg20231228_165120.jpg20231228_165845.jpg

I'm hoping this will divert attention away from some of my less than perfect ammendments and additions. I'm still trying to figure out a way of reinstalling the front steps without it looking too awful! The only way seems to be to remake them from brass sheet (really not looking forward to that:confused:) or maybe just omit them. I have seen a picture of a B4 minus the front steps.

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
I have also been making a start on the crane. I was originally going to use the Gladiator etching, but comparing it to the drawing shows that William Adams has deviated from what I suspect is a standard off the shelf crane design. So I mocked up the shape in Plastikard.
20231231_202347.jpg

I suppose I should make it out of brass, but if the plastic version looks OK I may stick with it. I might embellish it with some rivets which I find quite easy to do with the RP Toolz rivet punch.

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Crane propped in place to give an idea of what I'm trying to achieve.
20240102_194015.jpg

I've been reinstalling some more bits and pieces.
20240103_194034.jpg

The Dapol parts are IMHO quite well detailed, but are a bit fragile.
20240103_194309.jpg

I'm still undecided as to what colour this locomotive will be painted. I doubt if I'll be reinstating the LSWR livery, and was instead thinking of black with early or late Southern lettering.

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Been a bit busy with Birthday celebrations, so not a lot of time for railway modelling. I did however manage a short stint this afternoon.
20240110_191241.jpg20240110_191358.jpg

I also need to thank Richard Gawler for generously donating a set of etchings to allow me to get some front steps attached. Not as neat and tidy as Richard's modelling! But at least they're on now. Cheers Richard! :thumbs:

20240110_191406.jpg

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Most of the parts have now been primered.

20240118_190113.jpg

I'm still undecided about what paint scheme I should go for. I did think about maybe reinstating the LSWR livery, but my painting skills are really not up to the standards required to replicate this.

I'm erring towards boring black with maybe Bulleid 'sunshine' Southern lettering. But then I'd need a loco number, which of course never existed. Decisions, decisions! :)

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Next step will be to add 'Southern' lettering to the sidetanks. But I really need to add a number as well. Ideally an unallocated number, but I can't seem to find any lists of Southern loco numbers to avoid duplication. Does anyone have suggestions where I might find this sort of info?

Cheers
Mike