Dublingham Goods Station

Western Thunderer
The cattle dock and 'view block' shed have come up very well. :thumbs:

They both complement and provide a contemporary feel to the 'Dublo' approach.

Thank you, I thought a lot about how to compliment the old Dublo items, figuring card is the best medium, it's an older technique and so contemporary with Dublo.
Tony

Western Thunderer
Here's the milk dock, a simple construction using various digitally modified ScaleScenes parts. The dock will be the flexible pipe kind of milk dock, not the overhead gantry type. There will be a hut at one end that will contain all the pumping apparatus.

Tony

IMG_20200103_133047.jpg IMG_20200103_133020.jpg

Western Thunderer
Have been ballasting and laying more air dry clay, so now only one siding isn't yet ballasted, so hopefully will have the whole lot finished by Stevenage next weekend.

The pic below was from yesterday before I did more acrylic paintwork, so will post more tomorrow once more of it is complete.

IMG_20200104_152731.jpg

Last edited:

Western Thunderer
Ok, I know it's really wrong to put a 21t hopper in an ordinary coal train, but the 21t hopper was the last proper wagon Hornby Dublo produced (discounting the rail cleaning wagon) and I quite like them. Original ones are very pricey, the collector market inflating the price, fortunately Wrenn carried on production and I picked this one up at the NEC 50p north of a fiver.

I might dare to run it at Stevenage...
Tony

IMG_20200107_210452.jpg

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Ok, I know it's really wrong to put a 21t hopper in an ordinary coal train,

Why not - it's your railway :) . It's nice to see the older tinplate stock in there as well.

I do have one Hornby Dublo item passed down from my dad - a 1964 2-rail leaflet catalogue priced 1d.

Out of curiosity The 21T hopper wagon is priced at 6/11 (35p), 16T mineral wagon at 4/11 (25p) , 6w passenger brake van at 10/6 (52.5p) and the diesel shunter at £3 4/- (£3.20) - decimal price equivalents are not inflation adjusted though.

HD1.jpg
HD2.jpg
HD3.jpg

Western Thunderer
Well, I'll only run it a home I think. I have a bauxite fitted 16t mineral that is genuine Dublo, so I'll run that instead. Cost me £12 mint boxed. I do like that tinplate mineral, it has a charm of it's own.

My 6 wheel brake cost me £60, the most expensive item I have paid for and it needed a lot of work to get it running, mint ones go for twice that.

Tony

Western Thunderer
The layout is at the Milton Keynes show this weekend, looking forward to its fifth outing.

Layouts – 2020 exhibition – Milton Keynes Model Railway Society

Appearance wise, there's nothing new, but I had to remake the main board subframe as the MDF had warped and the legs were looking a bit drunk at Stevenage. It's now wood and stronger for it. I also tired of my basic fiddle yard, so I've remade it, pics to follow.

For a little fun and education, I've made an A5 sized sign that will sit on the lid. It's all part of my idea to make the layout vaguely educational. I've highlighted three rules from the BR rulebook as below in a 60s style of sorts.

IMG_20200212_221541.jpg IMG_20200212_221529.jpg

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Interesting if you lift parts of the rule 153b in isolation.

.... the man in charge of such train, must be attached - when it can be conveniently done - as near to the rear of the train as practicable.... :) - by rope, blu-tac?

Western Thunderer
Also interesting in that this is before the widespread introduction of block trains, I don't think I've seen any freights in photos without a brake van. This rule must be there for certain rare journeys or times when a brake van had failed with a hotbox or something like that?

Hoping someone can now point out some interesting pre 60s brake van free trains...

It's also very clear that the railway was to be worked by solely by men (conveniently forgetting WW1 & WW2) and ladies were just another sector of the business, along with parcels, general merchandise, livestock, oversized loads etc...

Last edited:

Western Thunderer
A shot of my new fiddle yard board, it enables me to run round the train without lifting the loco off, as the previous board was just two dead end sidings. It now also bolts down at the exit end, gravity wasn't enough for the old board, so running over the joints is now much smoother. Lots of extra wiring, but should be worth it.

It's also slightly longer so I will be able to get the 8F in with a full complement of wagons.

IMG_20200214_143305.jpg

This is my old fiddle yard board.

IMG_20190331_161647.jpg

Last edited:

Western Thunderer
Milton Keynes show went well, especially as I got two show invites! The new fiddle yard took a little getting used to but worked well as I could sit down for most shunting moves. The layout now has a complete run round facility.

As previously mentioned, I had to remake the subframe in wood as the MDF had gone soft and wobbly, so here's a shot of the new subframe. The shallow box in the middle holds the Gaugemaster transformer. It's much more robust and takes knocks easily.

IMG_20200216_165944.jpg

Reactions: AJC

Western Thunderer
Had the pleasure of Exhibiting Dublingham at the HRCA AGM today at Statfold Barn. Always a pleasure to be at Statfold, so much wonderful narrow gauge to see.

IMG_20200222_100810.jpg

The roundhouse is brilliant.

IMG_20200222_143212.jpg

IMG_20200222_100744.jpg

My Dublo 8F (48220, a one time Annesley loco) debuted today, sadly was a failure, not enough sideplay to get through the PECO small radius streamline points with fully flanged Romford drivers and my favourite 60:1 gears alongside sprung buffers and lots of scale handrails on the loco and tender.

The problem was that I'd put washers in the crankpins to reduce sideplay, thinking there was too much. Doh!

Western Thunderer
So now that my next two exhibitions, Luton MRC and Exe MRC have been rightly cancelled, time is available to work on the frivolous stuff. locos.

So here goes, Dublo 8F, with Romford wheels, new and extra handrails and some old LMS sprung buffers I found from a project to build a 4F when a kid. The 4MT also has Romford wheels, Dapol body and Dublo mechanicals.
Both have Romford 60:1 gears.

The LNER van is by Chivers.

Weathering will happen next.

All done in the spirit of Frank Dyer's Borchester I think and respectfully hope.

Tony

IMG_20200322_095151.jpg
IMG_20200322_095259.jpg
IMG_20200322_095319.jpg
IMG_20200322_102008.jpg

Last edited:

Western Thunderer
Work has been progressing, focussed mostly on buildings at the moment. I need a perishable depot and decided to electronically modify the Scalescenes goods shed, by doubling the length, removing the office, one end entrance and making the windows square. The latter is important for me as I'm not a fan of round topped windows, they always look slightly different to each other and with six in a row will look terrible. It also has the effect of making the building look more 20th century and not Victorian.

R009 Goods Shed - Scalescenes

R009_featured.jpg

Been slow going as there's a lot of work just to get to this point. The windows are by LCUT.

IMG_20200601_114135.jpg

Last edited:

Western Thunderer
Ok, so here goes another silly project, upgrading the Wrenn 08 shunter chassis. The previous three loco upgrades have just been adding the Romford 60:1 gears and a repaint, so step forward the Romford wheeled and geared Wrenn 08 with added Bachmann sideframes. The body needs the steps cutting off and allowance for the Bachmann sideframes. The Romford wheels and cranks are the new self quartering ones, they cost nearly as much as the four locos did.

It's completely daft I know, but I'm doing it because I can and I'm having fun.

Tony

IMG_20200607_180848.jpg

Last edited: