HO Eine Sekundärbahn

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Yes, I think we are. I certainly appreciate watching developments here.

I realise you are essentially repeating your blog posts here, but if I may say WT is a slightly different audience.
Hello Heather,

The blog is essentially my first priority, otherwise I only post on WT and DSO (the latter, only infrequently) it makes sense to post only some of the blog but I am becoming less and less interested.

Tim

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Well, I would find a pity if you stop updating here. However, I understand how long it can take, and completely respect your decision if you decide to concentrate only on the blog. At least we know where to find you!

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
I should have asked but is anyone really interested in the mumblings about building a German layout? Maybe time to stick to just the blog…..The blog

Please keep posting here Tim. Not all of us read blogs but prefer the variety of topics on WT. German railways may not be our own modelling focus but we can all learn something by peeking over your fence.

Ian

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
IMG_1208.jpeg

20250522_Farm1.jpg

Productive Sunday....80% complete but the last 20% will take 80% of the effort

Tim

Last edited:

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Tim, I never visited East Germany so your prototype photos help me to understand the scene I am looking at. I am enjoying seeing your efforts all come together, so I do hope you keep posting here.

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Tim,

Please keep posting on WT. Like others have mentioned above, I don't do 'blogs', and would miss the news of your excellent work and research greatly. Apropos your recent content on Irises, I have just returned from the Vale of Evesham where my daughter has a bank of yellow Irises in her garden pond - they are a sight to behold and well worth modelling.
I look forward to more news from Pottendorf as and when.

Roger.

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Hi Richard,

The setting for Pottendorf is Oberfranken during the '60s.

When the project began, it was merely a generic trackplan and both East and West were equally viable but that was sometime ago, Oberfranken that was the ultimate choice.

Tim

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Roger,

Today's progress is stalled whilst further supplies of suitable scenery products are awaited, in the meantime these two images are this morning's efforts. The front edge of the layout is rather threadbare and it will take at least a couple of days to rectify the situation but compared with post #126 last October, it is a different situation.

20240520b1100.jpg

20240520c1100.jpg
Tim

Simon H

I should have asked but is anyone really interested in the mumblings about building a German layout? Maybe time to stick to just the blog…..The blog
While I follow the blog as well, I sometimes find the chronological content on WT easier to follow, particularly if I'm looking back for an item. I really think both have their merits.
Many thanks for both, as I find them useful and inspiring for my own German railway modelling.
Simon.

timbowales

Western Thunderer
I, like many others, enjoy reading your posts. Your efforts are definitely an example of “less is more” so please keep on posting.
Tim T

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
The 2mm static grass from Heki has finally arrived and the station allotment has been given a layer of 'neat' grass

20240520_allot1.jpg

It isn't finished, I need to sort out the pump and cistern, some rhubarb and find the blessed hole in the base for the scarecrow whilst the magnificent budleia will find a place inside the plot.

Tim

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Hi
Just completed most of the grass work, still lots to do but tomorrow will be cleaning up the track/layout and running a train. Still lots to do, I have no idea where to place the trees, maybe take some inspiration from the previous smaller version of Pottendorf that was sold in 2018. My instinct is to place the trees in random groups of three, no idea if that is natural but it does provide some balance to the few buildings on the layout.j

One last major effort is the front edge of the scenery, it always gets damaged, maybe just a subtle green painted meridian rather than vulnerable static grass?

IMG_4533.jpeg

20240521c.jpg

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Rob,

It is a 20-year old Fleischmann model, very accurate and reliable. Catalogue numbers 4098 and 4099, fairly easy to source.

Tim

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer

IMG_4544.jpg

Win some, lose some, the precaution of placing stuff to see if it looks OK is a wise one. Whilst building the dung heap, silage bund and crane, they looked OK until placed on the layout. Consequently a much smaller, simpler version is underway (just a concrete pad) and the crane has been replaced by a tractor with front shovel. Making a 'better' midden, first a small concrete base of card, on which there is a dung heap similar to the above image. The heap is a small pile of seeds from Juweela, soaked with dilute PVA and left in the sun to harden afterwards it was dusted with straw.

Midden5_800.jpg

Tim

Last edited: