Finescale - of a sort?!

Richard Insole

Western Thunderer
I couldn't help myself looking back through the journey of this project. There has been so much work, sweat, tears, and love poured into this little/big loco. I have been trying to keep the little eyes away from seeing this, so they can have the 'big reveal of just how far this Christmas present has really come. I believe the last time that they saw it was some months ago and with no firebox or knobs and leavers to speak of.

You really have done the unimaginable with this from concept to where it is today.

It is quite the legacy to live up to, one I endeavor to one day be able to try and be as close to. (probably not though)

Fabulous work dad.

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
View attachment 142208

I still need to find a matching M3 nut and bolt for the main handle pivot, but in the meantime, a splash of my "oily steel" mix at least gives the impression of advancement.

With my lumbar problem receding, and with it a reliance on paracetamol, is it nearly, or really safe for me to start picking up hard or sharp things in the workshop again... ??

Pete.

Pete,

Your ‘oily steel’ mix looks just like, well, steel! If you hadn’t shown how you made the lever I would swear it was steel. Can you give us mere mortals an inkling on how we could copy your techniques please?

Ian.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
It has been a funny sort of day today.

Parts of the story started a while ago, quite a while in fact. As mentioned very recently though, I am becoming keener than ever to get the engine running properly under it's own "steam". Fitting up the reversing switch was a major step in that direction, and apart from some details that remain to be sorted out, it is otherwise in fully functioning condition. The next technical hurdle in the wiring loop to receive attention is the all important regulator.

I'm afraid that during a slightly wobbly time I missed posting some of the work as it was slowly ongoing. One of those items was the steel regulator handle and brass stuffing box/packing gland. For tonight I will just show a couple of images of the finished item:

hSAM_yx5328.JPG hSAM_yx5329.JPG

As you might all see, there are two, angled lever travel stops in the upper part of the stuffing box. There should be a tee bar section on the rear face of the regulator lever that would make contact in the fully open or closed position. The total travel arc is therefore quite short, and while it was doubtlessly adequate for a steam fitting, I was afraid that connecting the lever and handle to operate an electric potentiometer type switch could be seriously problematic - hence the reason for not yet fitting the tee bar and ending up committed to something that was practically unworkable?

My initial thoughts were for installing some reduction gears in a box and was absolutely delighted, as well as very much encouraged to see Tom's (of this parish, as well as son!) success with the design and build of just such a fitting for one of his own projects! Would his 3D printed unit scale up and still be robust enough when connected to a heavy lever and likely subjected to some fairly forceful handling? It probably would be OK. but prevailing upon the generosity of his employer and using their tools while making stuff for his old dad might be asking too much though?

Being the fool that I am, I finally decided to not only try and work out the precise ratios required, but even resolved to attempt cutting the gears in brass - by hand !! The first part was a near impossible task for one so profoundly disnumeric, and so was utterly astonished to eventually find a geometric solution and also have a lovely piece of artwork produced with the aid of nothing more than a compass! So what if it did take me almost three days to get there?! I was beginning to fancy that scanning, reducing and sticking paper printouts on the brass sheet as a cutting guide was actually feasible!

I have looked up at the clock and realized that the today was yesterday, and I have just been admonished for staying up late and keeping all the lights burning.

The story will have to continue tomorrow now !!

Pete.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Now we are halfway through tomorrow, I will carry on !!

Since Covid, the Love Lane group have continued to meet once weekly using on-line conferencing, and I feel privileged to have been included. I will admit that I have found the experience a rather mixed blessing though, in that while it is clearly so mutually beneficial to be able to regularly see and hear such good friends, I have personally found that the remote nature of the experience only seems to highlight the distance between us! There have been times when I have had difficulty coping with that, and have too frequently made various excuses for not joining in. Despite all my silly reservations, and after recently missing several sessions, I was really keen and absolutely delighted to feel able to sign in again yesterday!

When asked what I had been getting up to lately, I proudly held up my (hard won?) drawing, and gleefully announced my intentions for it's use. The revelation produced an on-screen wall of what can possibly be described as a prolonged mixture of stunned silence, some incredulity or perhaps utter bemusement. It was politely suggested that I was not only taking on the appearance of a Rasputin like character, (no haircut since lockdown) but my behaviour in imagining that I could manually cut gear teeth was (correctly?) taking self belief way beyond reason... ?? My reply that; "even though it was possible to order small packs of various, plastic gears on-line for only a three or four quid", but that; "none of the firms advertising gave sufficient information on product dimensions, or indeed, even the type of plastic used to manufacture them" cut little ice.

Then, one of our number, Mr. P. (I won't potentially embarrass him by publicly mentioning his name without prior consent) in an outright moment of genius, reached off screen to his right hand while saying; "If you want gears Pete, will one of these do?" and then presented one of those battery free, wind up torches in a partly dismantled condition!

One of my sons; (Mr. O.") had at that point returned home from work, and was sitting just out of my laptop camera range on the settee, and fortunately as it turned out, was listening in. He leaned forward and observed the object on screen and whispered; "We've got one of them", left the room and returned in very short order to hand me precisely the same design of torch!

Without any further ado, I grabbed a screwdriver and started taking ours apart in front of everyone. First noting the promising proportions, and then after making some marks on the lovely, tough, nylon wheels contained therein, confirmed with a triumphal hurrah that by means of a double reduction, exactly the desired relative movement was achieved !

hSAM_yx5600.JPG

Could even have it up and running in less than twenty four hours ?!

I can't imagine why, but that comment produced some laughter.

Meanwhile, with the conference still continuing, and while Mr. O., and self were still enjoying a sense of high achievement, we got up, he to go off and do some gardening, while I went to the kitchen to make a cuppa. As I returned to my seat in front of the laptop, I noticed that one of our little wagons for the train was missing from it's cabinet cubbyhole.

Uh, oh! I immediately guessed what Mr. O., was up to.

I am perfectly happy that horticulture, rather than railway matters is his thing, especially as he has chosen to fully adopt our quite long, and rather unmanageably wild garden. He has graciously permitted me to lay rails down on his new and planned pathways when the opportunity eventually arrives.

On the subject of rails; our "just about" adequate stock of track panels are deemed to be suitable for indoor, carpet use, and will be retained for that specific duty. I would not trust the stuff to last for a single season of exposure to the elements when outdoors. Something more durable would be desirable. It is not just a case of being a confirmed cheapskate that gives me the wobbles at the thought of the price of steel or aluminium, but the actual availability of sufficient funds. Besides, it is not just the rails themselves, but all the extras such as sleepers or ties, fixings and fishplates, ballast and right down to weed-proof membranes that would have to be taken into account.

In other words, forget it ol' boy, it simply ain't goin' to happen any time soon - or more likely ever in my remaining lifetime !!

Research revealed that a surprising number of Americans actually use timber for their rails?! However desperate, I really do not like the idea of providing perfect bed and breakfast facilities for the comfort of every homeless and hungry fungal spore in the district, thank you very much.

Mr. O., loves plants, but doesn't much like grass. He wants to cover the ground with more formal slate chipping and gravel paths connecting all the flower beds. Well, that's a sound trackbed, with ballast and membranes partly taken care of then? But what of metal rails, even if they unexpectedly became affordable and could be laid there upon? I fear they would still be rather nasty ankle twisters that could do some painful damage to shin and knee if anyone haplessly trips or stumbles over on them. The plastic stuff is so much better in that last resect, and does work - albeit with the penalty of adhesion limitations. If only I could find a cheap, UV stable plastic as a compromise?

I did !!

Fairly widely available UPVC bar. Thank you again "Boyblunder" for picking up the first length from your local stockist for an experiment.

A notable flaw with the material is it's flexibility though. Fine for going round corners, but next to useless under any vertical load. What it needs is continuous support underneath. Mr. O., want's good paths that will not in some places become too well trodden quagmires. The answer is that recycled plastic hexagonal geo-textile stuff that cars can be parked on, and driven smartly off without distributing pebbles all over a large area.

Last year, armed with a box of large headed, plated, self-tappers and some concrete mix, Mr. O., laid the first rail for me. The screws were zipped in on the chosen lower surface of the bar, at intervals aligning wherever possible with the centres of the still empty hexagonal pockets, then with the rail held firmly in position, concrete was poured and puddled in round each screw. When set, the remaining textile was filled with the ballast in the normal way.

I am happy to report that the trial has been quite successful, with everything staying put after much trampling, soaking in storms and especially freezing up right through till the last few weeks!

Dear and eager to assist Mr. O., being an horticulturalist rather than a railwayman had unfortunately not quite grasped the finer points and intricacies of gauge, and he had more or less "guesstimated" the alignment. It would have to come up and be relaid before any running trials this Spring.

The wagon had disappeared down the garden, along with Mr. O!

I had to rudely beg hasty leave from the meeting, hoping to be in time before any of the specially rapid setting concrete was applied or worse, started to go off after the use of some very generously proportioned, extremely coarse scale wagon wheels to adjust the gauge with !

Two happy, and satisfied chappies, father and son, sat for a while on garden chairs, watching the cement drying in a time honoured fashion...

hSAM_yx5599.JPG hSAM_yx5598.JPG

Then, as the lowering sun warmly touched us with it's last rays of that pleasant evening, my wife came home from visiting her Mother.

When she let herself in, she evidently spotted something on the coffee table that I had completely forgotten about; Namely, a pile of bits and cog wheels.

"Oi!", "What have you done to my special emergency torch...?"

Ahhhh... erhhh... hmmmm...!

"Doghouse?"

Pete.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Thank you Ian for your query, I will try and explain something, that to be honest I'm really not quite sure how I do in the first place..!

The main problems are twofold:

Firstly (The bit I do know something about): Nothing in this world is quite what it seems, and oddly, we get so used to identifying everything around us in a particular way, that we fail to notice - or even deliberately ignore things that might challenge that understanding.
What I mean, is that colour doesn't exist - at all, or indeed anywhere else in the entire universe - except inside our own brains. It is merely our individual response to varying wavelengths of radiation - the visible (spectrum) bit we refer to as "light".
The most troublesome part is the fact that every "colour" that we see changes, sometimes radically depending on, amongst other factors, our particular viewpoint - or location in that universe.
A prime example is grass. We all "know" what it looks like, and most of us have a pretty good idea in our minds, and could easily recognise what colour it is. So what is it then?
Each blade is not opaque, but translucent. Some "light" shines right through it, some is disturbed during it's journey and refracted by it's cellular and chemical structure, and some is so disrupted that we regard it as "absorbed", but then, because the stuff has a fairly smooth outer surface, light is also reflected - bouncing unobserved off into the ether - unless of course that is, you or I just happen to get in the way. Another significant point is that natural light is by no means pure, and also includes a myriad of wavelengths similarly refracting and reflecting off everything else in the vicinity!!
It should follow, that if you stand in the middle of a lawn, and on any type of day, rotate yourself from north through to south, the colour will inevitably change.
It does.
The problem is that our brains refuse to accept, and seem to automatically compensate for that variation on the basis of a "lifetimes worth of accumulated knowledge". That is quite understandable, bearing in mind the simple fact that none of us can occupy two places at the same time, and will therefore never have the opportunity to challenge such an alterative notion of reality. We just willingly or perhaps even wilfully accept that "things are the way they are".

Grass is what grass does, but paint will never, and cannot ever be anything other than paint. For sure, it certainly wont be anything like real grass!

If any "experts" ever claim to have mixed a paint, ink or a dye shade, and have the temerity to call it "Grass Green", they must be regarded as (at worst, if they are charging money) conmen and charlatans, and at best; either just fooling themselves, or be one of many artists and modelmakers that have learned how to fool everyone else !!

The above statement referring to that specific green equally applies to all other materials on this planet - and in part includes railway paint liveries, but predicting an inevitable avalanche of brickbats heading in my direction anyway, I'll not visit that subject, this time.

Here is, (at last?) the second part of the problem:

How do we fool the eye into believing that silver paint might actually be genuine steel. Simple answer: We can't !!

Steel, cooked and slightly tarnished, lightly rusted and, or smothered with an oily film is the only possible option - and even then it involves a high degree of subterfuge.

Trial and error (an awful lot of) has led me to this formula, but I stress that it only applies to the Humbrol enamel range currently available. I cannot say whether similar pigments in any alternative products will provide anything like the same effect.

hSAM_yx5602.JPG

The colours on the palette, and the prime ingredients are: Matt 33; "Black", Matt 98; "Chocolate Brown" and Gloss 191; "Chrome Silver". Metallic 11; "Silver" is used later for highlighting.

Referring back to earlier posts; the aim is to blend the chrome silver, brown and a tiniest amount of black for the overall effect, using only a bit of additional black in the mix for nooks and crannies - or areas where dirty oil and grime might tend to accumulate.

hSAM_xy3109.JPG

If possible, finding a genuine sample of the material to work from is preferable, but please beware!

Do remember my point that any colours will change according to the viewing angle, so even this can be highly misleading. You must therefore choose one facet, and rigorously stick with it!

hSAM_yx5603.JPG

I have indicated some areas on my palette where I was reasonably happy with a match.

The most important (clincher in fact) is a final dry brushing of the outer edges with the number 11 Silver. It provides a perfect "twinkle" on what is otherwise a generally muddy background, and as you can see, is just what happens on most metal objects - including my sample in the above image. I suppose that as it is only a very thin line, there is not enough of the highlighter to betray the fact that it is only paint, rather than real metal?

The next part is also critical:

The overall mix, despite the metallic content, might be a good match for colour, but does lack "Lustre"!

Beware, beware! any temptation to use a spirit based varnish! I have found to my utter despair, that such stuff has an occasional tendency to soften and lift some of the tiny reflective particles in the silver paint and distribute an unwanted "glitter" all over a carefully blended piece of work!

I always wait for a few days for the enamel to harden off, then apply a safe, water based, Satin varnish to finish.

hSAM_x2843.JPG
hSAM_xy3118.JPG

Ronseal; "Antique Pine" applied in at least one coat (or more until the preferred effect is reached) that is to my eye a pretty good representation of a yellowish, brown mineral oil for items that would normally be expected to be smothered with.

The ordinary "Clear Satin" variety still works well for a surface that we might imagine had been recently cleaned.

Although "other brands are available", I feel compelled to repeat that the recommended ingredients are the only ones that I have had any experience with.

I do hope this post might prove to be useful?

Pete.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Still confined to the kennel, despite assurances from my good lady. I am getting an uneasy feeling that a Rubicon had been well and truly crossed this time...??? Discretion being the better part of valour, I think keeping a low profile - preferably somewhere down the garden might be advisable.

Even though the engine is not quite ready for a thorough gauging and adhesion test, (yeah, yeah!) and while down among the dandelions, (OK., OK., just one or two!) I couldn't resist temptation...

hSAM_yx5606.JPG hSAM_yx5605.JPG hSAM_yx5608.JPG

Wheeeeeeeeee!!

It went the clappers!

There is a a very slight gradient, and am glad no-one was looking when I discovered it. Must have been a picture?

A matured and rotund body, with knees and feet held well up perching on the little tender, long whiskers blowing in the breeze beneath a broad brimmed, canvas hat, all careering backwards down a very short line.

Failing to observe passing landmarks, my progress was abruptly arrested by the exposed geodetics at the end of the line.

!!!!!!!!

Pete.

Richard Insole

Western Thunderer
What an incredible morning!!!

A little joint post, you could say (with me an dad). This morning, I was scrolling through some posts (catching up really). Whilst doing this my little, not so little boy, looks over my shoulder and remarks on how similar Grandad looks to the drawing of a 'Peter Insole'... The penny drops... "wait, that’s grandad?". That was where the idea was formed. Perhaps we are well overdue a visit to see them (socially distanced of course, making most of the rule of 6).

Turning up in the car, the children shrieking out in pure joy and extraordinary energy, so loud in fact, that they could probably hear us coming. How long should I wait to ask to go and see the track? While trying not to be too much of a pest of course. Naturally, we found ourselves down the line... I mean.... garden.. within minutes, I and was feasting our eyes on the near 2, foot of laid track. within no time, the riding truck was out and I 'accidently' found myself upon it, grinning from ear to ear and enjoying the same thrills as dad says in his last post.

Wheeeeeeeee!! What a superb, all be it short, ride.

I of course had to 'test it' for 'safety' before I allowed the children to have a turn. Reluctantly, I gave up the hot seat to allow the children to jump aboard and go backwards and forwards in turns. Dad disappearing up the line and returning with the original sit on engine. This of course, added an extra level of excitement. To our amazement, with combination of the sit on and two wagons, it somehow managed to hall 2 children and myself... What!?! How on earth did it manage that? In dad's little engine, this has a far more uprated and superior motor. This is and was an amazing proof of concept!!

20210502_114242.jpg

Ahhhh... I see why dad disappeared up the line now...

We had to get a photo opportunity in the sun. It was not ready for a full test, as dad has said, it is still in the process of making a full head of steam and taking its first 'chuffs' down the line.

20210502_114744.jpg
20210502_114708.jpg

Now, that's a pretty little engine! It looked so smart and we all just couldn't get enough of it. Poised and ready to show us what it could do. My daughter was the first to jump on and ever so delicately check the firebox, engage forward gear, open the regulator and ever so carefully twist the knob.
20210502_114856.jpg
20210502_114847.jpg
She was ready.

The boy got in on the action too... all be it, a little more scrunched up but just as egger to twist, pull, open, close and twiddle with all of the exciting knobs and levers.
20210502_115055.jpg

After a short while, and a much needed sandwich break was needed, it allowed the adults to just look and discuss. 20210502_115820.jpg 20210502_115847.jpg

We took a moment to truly reminisce how far this project had come. A rare opportunity to see the origin loco to the little beauty that dad has built from the ground up...
20210502_120056.jpg 20210502_120235.jpg

It is safe to say that we are all VERY excited for what is yet to come. Laying more track through Mr O's garden, dads next steps on the engine, potential future projects that I hope to be getting stuck in with (I may have the bug now)...

Thank you for having us today, we all had such a lovely time. All our love.

Cannot wait until we have a proper stetch and see what this little beasty can actually do.

Rich

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Fabulous! It's great to see the loco in full for a change. I remember seeing it at a ScaleSeven meeting a few years ago, when it was still embryonic, but seeing these photos show just how much work has gone on and how good it looks.

Well done Peter! You should be really proud of the little work of art you're producing.

How will you make the chimney and dome? Or is it too soon to ask such questions? :))

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
Thank you Ian for your query, I will try and explain something, that to be honest I'm really not quite sure how I do in the first place..!

The main problems are twofold:

Firstly (The bit I do know something about): Nothing in this world is quite what it seems, and oddly, we get so used to identifying everything around us in a particular way, that we fail to notice - or even deliberately ignore things that might challenge that understanding.
What I mean, is that colour doesn't exist - at all, or indeed anywhere else in the entire universe - except inside our own brains. It is merely our individual response to varying wavelengths of radiation - the visible (spectrum) bit we refer to as "light".
The most troublesome part is the fact that every "colour" that we see changes, sometimes radically depending on, amongst other factors, our particular viewpoint - or location in that universe.
A prime example is grass. We all "know" what it looks like, and most of us have a pretty good idea in our minds, and could easily recognise what colour it is. So what is it then?
Each blade is not opaque, but translucent. Some "light" shines right through it, some is disturbed during it's journey and refracted by it's cellular and chemical structure, and some is so disrupted that we regard it as "absorbed", but then, because the stuff has a fairly smooth outer surface, light is also reflected - bouncing unobserved off into the ether - unless of course that is, you or I just happen to get in the way. Another significant point is that natural light is by no means pure, and also includes a myriad of wavelengths similarly refracting and reflecting off everything else in the vicinity!!
It should follow, that if you stand in the middle of a lawn, and on any type of day, rotate yourself from north through to south, the colour will inevitably change.
It does.
The problem is that our brains refuse to accept, and seem to automatically compensate for that variation on the basis of a "lifetimes worth of accumulated knowledge". That is quite understandable, bearing in mind the simple fact that none of us can occupy two places at the same time, and will therefore never have the opportunity to challenge such an alterative notion of reality. We just willingly or perhaps even wilfully accept that "things are the way they are".

Grass is what grass does, but paint will never, and cannot ever be anything other than paint. For sure, it certainly wont be anything like real grass!

If any "experts" ever claim to have mixed a paint, ink or a dye shade, and have the temerity to call it "Grass Green", they must be regarded as (at worst, if they are charging money) conmen and charlatans, and at best; either just fooling themselves, or be one of many artists and modelmakers that have learned how to fool everyone else !!

The above statement referring to that specific green equally applies to all other materials on this planet - and in part includes railway paint liveries, but predicting an inevitable avalanche of brickbats heading in my direction anyway, I'll not visit that subject, this time.

Here is, (at last?) the second part of the problem:

How do we fool the eye into believing that silver paint might actually be genuine steel. Simple answer: We can't !!

Steel, cooked and slightly tarnished, lightly rusted and, or smothered with an oily film is the only possible option - and even then it involves a high degree of subterfuge.

Trial and error (an awful lot of) has led me to this formula, but I stress that it only applies to the Humbrol enamel range currently available. I cannot say whether similar pigments in any alternative products will provide anything like the same effect.

View attachment 142414

The colours on the palette, and the prime ingredients are: Matt 33; "Black", Matt 98; "Chocolate Brown" and Gloss 191; "Chrome Silver". Metallic 11; "Silver" is used later for highlighting.

Referring back to earlier posts; the aim is to blend the chrome silver, brown and a tiniest amount of black for the overall effect, using only a bit of additional black in the mix for nooks and crannies - or areas where dirty oil and grime might tend to accumulate.

View attachment 142415

If possible, finding a genuine sample of the material to work from is preferable, but please beware!

Do remember my point that any colours will change according to the viewing angle, so even this can be highly misleading. You must therefore choose one facet, and rigorously stick with it!

View attachment 142416

I have indicated some areas on my palette where I was reasonably happy with a match.

The most important (clincher in fact) is a final dry brushing of the outer edges with the number 11 Silver. It provides a perfect "twinkle" on what is otherwise a generally muddy background, and as you can see, is just what happens on most metal objects - including my sample in the above image. I suppose that as it is only a very thin line, there is not enough of the highlighter to betray the fact that it is only paint, rather than real metal?

The next part is also critical:

The overall mix, despite the metallic content, might be a good match for colour, but does lack "Lustre"!

Beware, beware! any temptation to use a spirit based varnish! I have found to my utter despair, that such stuff has an occasional tendency to soften and lift some of the tiny reflective particles in the silver paint and distribute an unwanted "glitter" all over a carefully blended piece of work!

I always wait for a few days for the enamel to harden off, then apply a safe, water based, Satin varnish to finish.

View attachment 142427
View attachment 142426

Ronseal; "Antique Pine" applied in at least one coat (or more until the preferred effect is reached) that is to my eye a pretty good representation of a yellowish, brown mineral oil for items that would normally be expected to be smothered with.

The ordinary "Clear Satin" variety still works well for a surface that we might imagine had been recently cleaned.

Although "other brands are available", I feel compelled to repeat that the recommended ingredients are the only ones that I have had any experience with.

I do hope this post might prove to be useful?

Pete.

Hi Pete,

Thank you very much for your very full explanation, a master class. I don’t have the paint you recommend in stock but as soon as I can I will give it a go.

Your recent post with photos of your work is even more of an inspiration. More power to your elbow.

Ian.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Thank you Richard for posting those super pictures and comments as a reminder of such a happy day. Judging by my aching facial muscles, I now know that over all those long, often very difficult months, I had completely forgotten how to smile.

Just seeing the children (and grownups!) playing, let alone so obviously enjoying their little trains was a such a tonic! I am very much looking forward to more adventures along the railway line to come.

Thank you too, Class27 and Heather, for your kindness. The chimney and especially the dome are indeed going to be two of several challenges in the pipeline ?!!

Pete.

Bagpuss

Western Thunderer
Truly fabulous looking little engine Peter, it looks so good even though its not yet fully finished.
I always look forwards to see your new posts, they are always very interesting and inspiring.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Dear, oh dear, where did the last two months go ?! Getting over (or around?) the far too frequent bouts of irritating ill health that I shall have to live with from now on, some progress has been made - regrettably not on the little engine though!

A belated thank you to cmax and Bagpuss, and please accept my apologies for not calling in and responding earlier.

Referring back to Rich's last post on this thread, I am very happy to say that he has indeed "caught the bug!" The only problem with this new interest (possibly apart from my dear daughter-in-law's point of view?) is that he and the family live in a first floor maisonette - not exactly a suitable location for any model engineering activities exceeding 4mm scale! Sharing my work space while our good ladies entertain each other and the young ones could be a bonus, if only I could get anywhere near it myself ?! I should be ashamed to admit that a lot of shuffling and shifting is usually required to even reach the bench - the top surface of which has not been seen by a single soul since at least 2018 !! The old Insole estate and residence was hardly grand in the first place, so finding a home for all the present paraphernalia (polite term!) is a prospect so daunting that I have been tempted to request analgesic assistance !

I have no idea how, but....

hSAM_yx5659.JPG

Tar-rahhh !!

Not exactly a room with a view, but (just) enough room for two ! It seems such a pity to fill it all up again?

Here's a thought for the day:
It is said that mankind was made in God's image. I have never considered that to mean a beard and long blue and white robes, (I'm partly succeeding with that first part, while my wardrobe has a surprising addition - thanks Glenn!!) but rather that we are the only other creative beings in this world. However, in completely ungodly fashion, we are quite incapable of creating anything without first mucking something else up! After all, you can't make a brick without first digging a hole. Can't dig that hole without a pick or shovel - which needs even more holes - and some trees cutting down - which means you need an axe.....!

Let's face it; we are designed to make a mess. Well, that is my excuse anyway !!

Now able to briefly enjoy a bit of space, the project beckons:

I had finally got round to acquiring a bundle of copper pipes, including perfectly scale 3/16'', 1/4'' and what was supposed to be 3/8'' - but turned out to be only 8mm., and therefore of no use to me. I chose the thick walled, and notably more expensive variety, with the notion of being a novice and making a hash with flimsier material, having never attempted to bend accurate shapes for a scale loco model before. I also foolishly fancied any additional traction weight available, however small that may be?

I also stupidly ordered on-line, without having seen the real thing beforehand, one of these next to useless bending pliers...

hSAM_yx5730 next to useless.JPG hSAM_yx5733.JPG

It came with two mandrels, that as it turned out, were divided into half sections of 3/16'', 1/4'', plus 5/16'' and 3/8''. so I naturally thought I was on a winner?! How wrong!

For a start; the mandrels are rough castings and their stupid design obviously had precluded accurate machining, but even so, I might have expected the pipes to actually fit the stated sections! The first trial bend revealed that they didn't - leaving a distinctly squashed pipe with some very nasty scratches and pitting. In desperation I spent a couple of hours carefully opening out and smoothing the sections required with fine rat-tail needle files. It was only after all that extra effort that I was finally able to achieve a clean and reasonably round shaped pipe in the bend. Next, that abysmally bad, divided design meant that only 90 degree bends are possible - and even then, needing quite long, straight leads and tails at either side of the bend. The position of the closers prevent the pipe being being shifted round to complete a 180 degree turn, let alone start an "S" bend !!

In the end, and after having to discard almost too much of the precious 1/4'' pipe in a miserable failed attempt, I got more or less what I wanted by lots and lots of annealing, quenching and bending with good old fingers and thumbs.

hSAM_yx5725.JPG hSAM_yx5726.JPG hSAM_yx5729.JPG

Ouch! That hurt !!

I have put the above pics in front of the next ones, as by the time I had finally wrestled the two ends into position - and at the same time ensured that the pipe more or less followed the desired route in between, I was too knackered to be bothered taking photographs!!

I was content to leave everything for the following day.

Having wasted so much pipe, I was quite convinced that there was not enough 1/4'' remaining for the final section along the running plate from the injector to clack valve. Furthermore, I needed another 90 degree bend at the very end to bring the pipe up under that clack - utterly impossible without anything left to grip.

Then I had an idea...

hSAM_yx5732 KandS solution.JPG

Some odd bits of K&S brass tube, layered for extra strength could be used to hold the softened copper in shape, bending a little, re-annealing, easing it along, bending a bit more and so steadily pull the curve right up to the end of the pipe.

I was so busy concentrating that I forgot to photograph that operation yet again, only remembering to grab the camera for the the last, relatively easy bit...

hSAM_yx5716.JPG hSAM_yx5719.JPG hSAM_yx5720.JPG

The bodged end does look a bit crabby, but the worst bit will disappear up inside the clack valve union nut, and later the rest polished out quite nicely!

I was so relieved to find there was just enough pipe to fit, rather than having to waste a whole lot more on a fresh order of additional pipe - and all for the sake a few millimetres!

hSAM_yx5721.JPG

You might note that I have slightly deviated from the drawing and put in sharper angles in the rising, middle section of the pipe; but that is a closer match to the finished work of both Beyer Peacock, and the later Horwich fitters !!

hSAM_yx5722.JPG

One unexpected effect of all that annealing work on two consecutive days were the rather rough nights that followed. This morning I awoke, not only with sore fingers and thumbs, but an absolutely blistering headache, while worse, I felt as if I had been punched in the chest - very hard!

As if I don't have enough problems with the various bits of internal plumbing already, I am now told that annealing copper releases some rather noxious chemicals that should be avoided at all costs !!

Cooking outdoors on a nice still day next time then - but not the kind that strangely, some men seem to think requires the wearing of a silly, or even mildly pornographic apron ?!

I'll stick proudly with my own, unconventional robes!

Pete.

Richard Insole

Western Thunderer
Truly fabulous work Dad!!

I would not have believed it with my own eyes that the remaining piece was long enough. Super jammy... and super well done for pulling off the impossible. In an odd way (even though I know that these would be the parts polished before and after a hard days labour) I must say, I love the look of the heat torched copper pipe. Adding just two bits of bent copper pipe has added so much to the overall feel of her.

Many memories of the workbench and it feels wonderful and humbling to know that all of them years ago as a wee nipper, I would still adore spending time with you in the depths of the house, bashing, crashing, drilling and dropping everything. Even though my head rubs on the ceiling now, I can't help but feel transported back to a time when I would be peering upwards, hanging on the side of the bench to catch a glimpse of what was being worked on. I am sure that you felt the same way but, Sunday just gone with the children treating the stairs like some sort of attraction ride going up and down to see what all the noise and fuss was about, was really great to share together. It will only be a matter of time before they too will ask if it's a "sodding thing"... Sadly, I don't think that the missus (Claire) will be joining us in the cellar on the account of the occasional cobweb. However, this does afford us the grace of being able to work away below, whilst she can enjoy spending time with the children and mum.

I do believe that we also have a small helper itching to get involved this summer. Upon our return home after the Sundays session in the cellar, Ethen asked if he could help with the digging in the garden, to which I of course I said yes. We will make a budding fanatic of him yet.

One day I will have my own workspace to fill with shenanigans and all things fun and useful but, until then, thank you for welcoming me into your den, as it were. I will always hold dear to me that 11 years ago when I flew the nest to start one of these overrated adult lives and found ourselves in a pickle some 2 (ish) years later, pregnant and unsure where to turn, you were the one who turned to mum and said: "they are coming home". You have always made way for all of us and shared what you have, even if we didn't always return the tool we needed to fix our bikes (amongst other things) and make you go on a wild goose chase to find the bloomin' tools.

Truly superb work again.

Sorry for being all soppy... I just really do love sharing this joint passion/hobby/bug with you. I guess you could say... The apple doesn't roll far from the tree after all.

I might just share our joint project together with all the boys and girls that I have kept waiting for...

Rich.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Thank you so much Brian, you are too kind. I suppose there are some things that I could be proud of, it is just that they are hard to find amongst all the junk and failings!

Pete.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Posts overlapped there! Thank you too Rich - no problem!. I am so much looking forward to seeing lots of happy little (and some bigger) faces heading off down the garden by train !!

Pete.