Flaxfield- A bucolic 1950s Suffolk backwater

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning all,

Regulars to the Sheep Chronicles may well have seen reference made to a change in approach to my modelling courtesy of a day spent at Expo EM in Bracknell a few weeks ago now.

Now despite what it suggests, this doesn't necessarily mean abandoning 00 gauge and adopting EM and certainly not P4, much as I admire those who follow that path. No, it jyst means that I want to change certain aspects of how I'm currently going about things. Improvements rather than a total discarding of what I've done before if that makes sense.

The biggest change is time. Time I give myself to do things. I'm currently somewhat under the cosh to complete a layout ( my decision and I could pull the plug but I won't and therefore I only have myself to blame) and though there is a degree of enjoyment to be had, it's proving difficult for a variety of reasons. This approach stops with this layout.

So, that's time. It's not new to me. I had this approach building EWE. Some of the buildings were finished first which set the tone and then the rest seemed to follow on from that. It was actually quite smooth.

I'm going to introduce electric points. How is that new you'll say ? That's basic train settery. Well, it's new to me so a small test bed will be used to allow me to learn all about this electrickery. Frog juicers, point motors, droppers to plain track, bus wires, DCC. All basics for some but as I say, a significant step up for me.

Uncoupling/coupling. Same test bed will explore remote uncoupling. I have a significant stock of Kadees. I don't like them on typical 1950s stock and steam locos but having looked into AJs, Dinghams and all other typical British 'Finescale' alternatives to the traditional British T/L, I see these as my first option.

Baseboards. With six layouts built since 2016 on IKEA foundations, this changes. I'll be using kit baseboards from Grainge and Hodder. I can accommodate all the wiring and point motors etc sub- baseboard firma. Again not rocket science to many but new for me. My bendy board troubles on the latest build cements this change.

Fiddle Yard. Leading on from the above, a traverser is current favourite to reduce stock handling. A turntable is ideal but the home location cannot accommodate such a gizmo so best not. G&H offer a bolt on loco turntable to their traverser so job done there.

So what stays ?

4mm 00 remains favourite but I've an open mind on EM but it's certainly NOT a must have.

The Cameo layout concept stays. I like it and the compact, integrated convenience it brings with it.

Ready to Run stock. I've no issue with it and pretty much all I want is available.

Ready to plant buildings can provide with the impression I want to create so again no change.

Scenery. I'm happy with how I'm going about this and the materials I use so again, no changes are anticipated here.

So to many on here, this reset is not ground breaking but for me there are a few aspects which will be significant changes made to how I go about things. Overarching this is a change in tempo. A more measured less frenetic approach which in itself will be beneficial and ultimately allow a more relaxed approach but one which will get things done.

So what am I doing ?

Last edited:

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
So, Flaxfield.............

Primarily inspired by the Mid Suffolk Light Railway but drawing on elements from other East Anglian backwaters including the Tollesbury branch, Snape branch, Thaxted branch and the Mellus and Eye railways.

Small platform, small buildings, small locos and rolling stock. Each aspect worked on to introduce as much character to each individual item in the hope that as a whole, the scene is made up of things to draw the eye from one to the other, holding the viewers attention. Bold words indeed and those which seem at odds with my usual "less is more" approach but that is exactly the case. With only a few key elements within a scene, each component has to be just so.

So why the Mid Suffolk ?

I've long been attracted to the more bucolic corners of the railway system, the weedier and more neglected the better. Now, the Mid Suffolk wasn't the worst by far but it had it's moments.

East Anglian branches could be quite impressive, Framlingham, Wells etc but these are not for me....just yet. It's the incredibly optimistic light railwayesque approach that fires the imagination for me.

What I intend to do is use this thread to document the inspiration behind what should be a quite different build and may even feature the build itself. It will certainly feature each part as it is worked on. That's not to say the main thread will die a death as it will continue to feature developments on the existing layouts and trips out for them.

I'll leave you with a few of the images that firm part of my reference material.....

Screenshot_20210208-212921_Samsung Internet-01.jpeg

thaxted_old1.jpgScreenshot_20210208-213001_Samsung Internet-01.jpeg

And the first step. Seen before but now the Hornby waiting room will finally have it's layout.........

20210228_114907-01.jpeg

Rob.

MarkR

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob,
This all looks very interesting. After thinking about it for years, I have just purchased a Hornby J15, which runs very sweetly. I have had the Wild Swan Mid-Suffolk Light Railway book for years, and today added the Oakwood title. I have in my head "Bugglesham" in EM.
The trouble is I have several other projects in my head, and there's very little room for them! We shall see what, if anything transpires.
Mark

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Afternoon all and thank you.

Now, whilst Flaxfield isn't to be a model of a prototypical Mid Suffolk location, the intention is to model a couple of the locos that frequented the Middy. A must do is J15 65447, a regular until the end. Numerous photos exist of it but these by George Powell, held by the Great Eastern Society are rather nice and crucially depict the loco with a tender fitted with a weather board ( available from NIU as a 3D print )

65447-at-Laxfield-Jul-1951-e1620135148713-1024x724.jpg

Class J15 loco no. 65447 beside the coaling stage at Laxfield on 24th July 1951. Note the weatherboard on the tender for reverse running. The loco is in dire need of attention from the cleaner! Photo by George Powell. Great Eastern Railway Society.

65447-cab.jpg

Standards were maintained even as closure approached! The cab of no. 65447 at Haughley on 22nd July 1952, with polished brasswork, burnished steel, and a white roof. Photo by George Powell. Great Eastern Railway Society.

And this image of 65447 at Laxfield by Malcolm Root gives a lovely depiction of the colourful scene that any model could preset in lieu of any actual colour photographs.

Very useful these painter types....!

middy-memories-1024x775-1.jpg

Rob.

Northroader

Western Thunderer
Point motors? Tried using them a long time ago, and burnt several out, probably down to cack handedness, so never went back. Points? I think I’ve gone the same way there..

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I use blue point actuators instead of point motors.
BluePoint.jpg
They are very reliable no electronics just two wires in and one off to the frog. They can be used on both DC and DCC layout. Only problem is supply as they are made in the US and are only imported by EDM models in the UK but I think you can get them on fleabay. I've used them on Scratchy Bottom, WC Boggs and they will be installed on Llareggub Wharf.

Marc

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
On the matter of point motors, for Elmham Market I started out using Fulgurex (some of which, on the Stratford St James baseboards are still going strong after thirty five years) but as they began to fail I have been replacing them with the DCC Concepts Cobalt motors, which are very easy to use and so far (fingers crossed!) reliable. Although I use DCC for operation, I don’t for point motor control, so they are standard DC versions.

Nigel

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Servos servos servos all the way.... For me at least

Cheap, easy to work with compact and hopefully if my designs work out very easy to replace on Skeetsmere when it will be out and about.

On another note, love the concept Rob, such a modelable prototype. And I'm sure you will finish your slice of Mid Suffolk before I get mine working :))

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Servos servos servos all the way.... For me at least

Cheap, easy to work with compact and hopefully if my designs work out very easy to replace on Skeetsmere when it will be out and about.

On another note, love the concept Rob, such a modelable prototype. And I'm sure you will finish your slice of Mid Suffolk before I get mine working :))

Interesting. My experiment with servos has left me somewhat underwhelmed and vowing never to use them for point actuation ever again. Every time the layout was powered up it seemed to be potluck as to whether the servos would remember their settings or if I'd have to readjust them again. Can't be having that. Used a Megapoints servo controller.

I've used Tortoise point motors previously but these are too big (deep) for the current 00 layout framing. I've bought some MTB MP1 linear point motors to replace the servos and controller.

simond

Western Thunderer
Tortoises are fab, reliable and easy to use. Cobalts are similar, I believe, but even more expensive.

Servos should not have been so much trouble, @Jon Fitness builds a lot of signals, and if the servo doesn’t behave, it could get very messy there. For point actuation, there are servo mounts that allow the servo to travel through 180 degrees to move and lock the point - worth Googling - they are very “low geared” and slow acting, and can’t overtravel.

And if you can be bothered with programming, you can drive them from an Arduino, and that offers really cheap control (And potentially interlocking too!).

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Interesting. My experiment with servos has left me somewhat underwhelmed and vowing never to use them for point actuation ever again. Every time the layout was powered up it seemed to be potluck as to whether the servos would remember their settings or if I'd have to readjust them again. Can't be having that. Used a Megapoints servo controller.

I've used Tortoise point motors previously but these are too big (deep) for the current 00 layout framing. I've bought some MTB MP1 linear point motors to replace the servos and controller.

It was after hearing about and observing your "adventures" with the servos, Pencarrot, I decided to avoid them. No good if they require constant re-adjustment.

Funny you should mention MTB point motors. I was chatting with Chris H ( Gilbert ) about these very things only a week or so ago. I have a few MTB locos which are very well built, so if they arecanything to go by, these may well be first choice. Do tell how you get on with them.

Rob

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
On the matter of point motors, for Elmham Market I started out using Fulgurex (some of which, on the Stratford St James baseboards are still going strong after thirty five years) but as they began to fail I have been replacing them with the DCC Concepts Cobalt motors, which are very easy to use and so far (fingers crossed!) reliable. Although I use DCC for operation, I don’t for point motor control, so they are standard DC versions.

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Same here. I see DCC as first choice for loco control but retaining traditionally operated points. For me, Cobalt motors are the alternative to the MTB examples.

I'm going to build a small test piece to get the hang of this.

Rob

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob,

Best of luck with your venture into proper baseboards. A few pointers, if I may, get the track laid and tested, and tested again before ballasting and scenics. It makes small adjustments easier. It allows the boards to be put on their sides or ends to make the wiring easier, without stuff falling off.

Keep the track wiring separate from the point wiring, this includes multi-pin plugs and sockets. If you get a point motor problem, you can usually keep something moving whilst the errant point motor gets sorted. It also makes fault-finding easier.