Flaxfield- A bucolic 1950s Suffolk backwater

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning all,

Despite being pre-occupied with prepping Ewe for it's trip to Exeter, Flaxfield reassuringly continues to occupy me.

The finishing of the 10ton van body for Ewe was good fun and the second will certainly be finished for Flaxfield. From perusing various books, well mainly Peter Paye's excellent work on the Middy ( recommended ) I can see the vans plonked about thereon were grey, as were some of the intermediate station buildings so we may see a change of finish.

Laxfield's trackplan is intriguing as trains approached via the "centre road", then swung right via the crossover just before the end of the platform to halt at said platform, the engine blocking the level crossing. Trains were then reversed back towards the engine shed before the loco was run round and the train propelled back into the platform. Departure was as per arrival, back over the first crossover and out along the full length of the centre road. This track plan relates to John Watson's lovely P4 rendition of Laxfield. The distance between the station and the mill is understandably foreshortened. In addition, pretty certain that the siding to the mill should be facing in the opposite direction.

trackplan-1.jpg

What I'm considering is adopting a modular build. Stage one will be the terminus, based on this...

trackplan-1-01.jpeg

I wll have to compress things to fit into a 140cm length. Depth will be 40cm. The point alongside the engine shed will be flipped to a left hand. In addition, the crossover ahead of the loading dock may done away with. However, I think doing so will compromise goods workings which I believe used the centre road only so more research is certainly needed on this before a final decision is reached.

A separate module will feature the mill siding but will be exhibitable only as a rather limited diorama or more normally as part of the main layout, something not possible in the Room of Doom due to space.

Still much thought to be given though as we are very far away from any start being made but as a layout plan, it's quietly coming together.

And staying with the Middy, I've ordered transfer sets for two regular Mid Suffolk locos, 65477 and 65459, J15s of the parish, from Railtec. If this goes well and I'm sure it will, a couple more will be ordered for 65388 and 65361 neither of which were fitted with Westinghouse brakes. The main issue here is that Hornby's non air braked BR J15 example uses the same footplate casting as their Westo's which includes the air pipe along the side and which is impossible to succesfully remove. However, certain LNER liveried examples don't have this as part of the casting so a footplate from one of these will do the job.

As ever then, much to be going on with.

Rob.

Last edited:

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Hornby's non air braked BR J15 example uses the same footplate casting as their Westo's which includes the air pipe along the side and which is impossible to succesfully remove.
Rob im going to be annoying here so feel free to ignore me but it is possible to remove the vac piping
IMG_20240616_113157388_HDR.jpg
All you need is a good file with a safe edge, plenty of time and to be completely bonkers.

I think your plan to swap parts around is a better option. But note the cab handrails come in long/short versions and will need matching with the right cab sides

In addition, pretty certain that the siding to the mill should be facing in the opposite direction.
Nope that's the correct direction. I know it looks wrong but there it is. If you think the original intention of the line was to get to halesworth and as the crow flies the mill was a little closer to that end of the line than haughley so it makes sense on a completed system to have the siding orientated to be able to dispatch traffic working towards Halesworth.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Rob im going to be annoying here so feel free to ignore me but it is possible to remove the vac piping
View attachment 217796
All you need is a good file with a safe edge, plenty of time and to be completely bonkers.

I think your plan to swap parts around is a better option. But note the cab handrails come in long/short versions and will need matching with the right cab sides

Nope that's the correct direction. I know it looks wrong but there it is. If you think the original intention of the line was to get to halesworth and as the crow flies the mill was a little closer to that end of the line than haughley so it makes sense on a completed system to have the siding orientated to be able to dispatch traffic working towards Halesworth.

Hi George,

Gosh! Not in anyway annoying. I'm glad that this thread is producing comment from others such as yourself as I'm not that well versed on things Great Eastern and every little helps. It's exactly the reaction I'd hoped for and demonstrates this benefits of this forum.

That's a top bit of work with the file there. Very neat indeed but possibly a bit outside my skillset......but worth bearing in mind. Thank you.

The mill thing..I needed to check as your mention of it once again stirred the little grey cells.

As the plan I popped into my post was John Watson's, I dug out MRJ 0 in which it featured and took this snap, including the relevant caption which clarifys John's thoughts.

20240616_125330.jpg

This photo from Peter Paye's book confirms it...

20240616_125343.jpg

So going back to the plan.....

trackplan-1.jpg
The mill should be on the same side as the allotments which in my world would be on the 'public' baseboard edge. So agreed. Not facing in the wrong direction but on the wrong side of the track.

Rob

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob,

I'm visiting my Mum, so to ease the boredom, I have Temploted your track plan to suit your layout size. Most of the turnouts are A5s, but one is A4.75 and is a slight Y, to maintain an almost minium 24" radius.

I have not cleaned up the timbering.

View attachment 217806

Hi Phil.

That's very useful. I may well get the pointwork out so as to have a 3D picture as don't seem to have the ability to visulise things from a plan. I think lack the required level of imagination.

But it looks rather doable so that's reassuring

Thank you..

Rob

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Not facing in the wrong direction but on the wrong side of the track.
There's definitely a little bit of artistic licence going on in John Watsons plan and probably with good reason behind it.

The other thing to note from the plan is the position of the water tower. If were being completely accurate this should be by the shed. There was a point where the locomotive took water between the station and the mill siding but this was just a pond. Might be a nice feature it include?

Gosh! Not in anyway annoying.
Fair enough but please do feel free to tell me to stow the gab if I start to sound like one of those awful know it alls.... I'm only as knowledgeable as the information I've learnt and there is so much more out there to discover...

Osgood

Western Thunderer
A Middy thread to watch - popcorn at the ready.
IMG_1067.gif

If it is of any interest at this stage in your planning Rob, this is how John imagined Cratfield might have looked had the line opened to passengers and stopped here, not Laxfield - hence the engine shed from Laxfield.
It was to be his last portrayal of the Middy, this time in S7.

The level crossing / platform fun is again at play, as is the push-back to run-around, albeit in a slightly different format to the Laxfield plan, and a coal yard replaces the mill.
The line back west to Laxfield runs out lower right.

A surveyor has been seen stalking the fields off the baseboard to the left - reckon he’s working on a scheme to extend the siding yet another station further towards Halesworth……

IMG_0654.jpeg

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
There's definitely a little bit of artistic licence going on in John Watsons plan and probably with good reason behind it.

The other thing to note from the plan is the position of the water tower. If were being completely accurate this should be by the shed. There was a point where the locomotive took water between the station and the mill siding but this was just a pond. Might be a nice feature it include?

Fair enough but please do feel free to tell me to stow the gab if I start to sound like one of those awful know it alls.... I'm only as knowledgeable as the information I've learnt and there is so much more out there to discover...

There were two water towers at Laxfield, George.

One was at the corner of the engine shed. Not shown on John's plan but seen here in Rod Cameron's image of John's Laxfield. Rod, amongst others, currently has 'ownership' of Laxfield and I was lucky enough to be able to have a good look over it in July last year.

laxfield07.jpg

Another view from Dave Dorman.

laxfield12.jpg

The other was at the pond and of a similar construction to that at the engine shed. This will be included on the 'Mill' board. There are pictures of 65447 ( still attached to it's coaches ) at this water tower and of 65388 at the pond included in Peter Paye's book. ( must get a second copy of this. My signed copy is getting well thumbed )

Rob

Last edited:

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
A Middy thread to watch - popcorn at the ready.
View attachment 217818

If it is of any interest at this stage in your planning Rob, this is how John imagined Cratfield might have looked had the line opened to passengers and stopped here, not Laxfield - hence the engine shed from Laxfield.
It was to be his last portrayal of the Middy, this time in S7.

The level crossing / platform fun is again at play, as is the push-back to run-around, albeit in a slightly different format to the Laxfield plan, and a coal yard replaces the mill.
The line back west to Laxfield runs out lower right.

A surveyor has been seen stalking the fields off the baseboard to the left - reckon he’s working on a scheme to extend the siding yet another station further towards Halesworth……

View attachment 217819

Morning Oz,

Thanks, that's very interesting. I thought of doing something Cratfield based. The advantage is that there doesn't seem to be any photos of the goods station that existed there, albeit very briefly. Nice to see how John saw it, developed into a passenger terminus.

Could a Cratfield side project appear at a later date I wonder........?

Rob

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Easy tiger...
Scratfield might be a squirrel - of the sabre-tooth variety.

The description of Cratfield in the 3rd edition (1997) of Nicholas Comfort’s The MSLR,( Oakwood Locomotion Papers 22) is the most comprehensive I’ve found so far (but I must check Paye again).

Last edited:

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning all,

Though strictly a question asked in relation to EWE, can anyone confirm the background colour to GER 'Beware of Trains' signs ?
I'm currently going with a dark blue background and white lettering.

Two are needed for Ewe. Balance will end up on Flaxfield.

Rob

Pete_S

A couple of unrestored examples:

Handy as it states the dimensions.

Undimensioned but rather bucolic... (possibly even totally & utterly bucolic):—
I see traces of Red (oxide?), white & black. There **might** be a tad of Blue & some yellow (?!) on the top edge, but that could be wishful thinking.

Type "Beware" into the search box & it'll bring up a slew of hits from their past sales including one that may be of interest to @Dog Star :)

Pete S.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
As the cast iron signs were more than likely acquired from an external foundry/manufacturer I would stick with a black background and white lettering unless evidence appears to the contrary.