Giles' misc. Work bench.

Giles

Western Thunderer
They require more force over a shorter travel, and they dont have the mobility and articulation. I raided Di's workshop to check first! By necessity, their wires are very short, and therefore rather unforgiving - even the large studs you can get. This home-made version is really quite friendly for its purpose!

Giles

Western Thunderer
Glad they found some suitable - there are certainly a massive variety available. Certainly worth checking out, though I'm very happy with the freedom of movement the home-made version gives me.

Giles

Western Thunderer
On to the bodywork. Here's one if the cab fronts with spectacle brasses ready to solder in

And a brace of Bagnalls in progress..... a lot of work has gone in to this so far - including abortive work and parts. CNC helps, but still makes cockups... most of this is soft-soldered, which is a pain, but I used Cool-paste where really necessary to stop things from falling apart.

I was a little worried about the 1mm beading buckling with heat as I soldered it on, but it ended up not being an issue

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Is there any connection, however tenuous, to the GE 45t family?

BR

View attachment 150494

Apart from having the same number of wheels and outside coupled bogies, no. The GE locos are diesel electric with a single traction motor in each bogie, and two engines driving generators. Quite different to the diesel mechanical with a single engine driving a central gearbox then prop shafts to each bogie.

Giles

Western Thunderer
Ive been plodding on in a fairly mundane way - although predictably things still hive problems! One I didn't quite predict was the steps. They are very simple bent flat section affairs - but the problem is they need yo be neat, symmetrical, and four of them.... I managed to produce one, which I wasn't very happy with, particularly as there were bends within 1.7mm of each other, which were difficult to reproduce, so I threw it away.
Produce a tool.....

Well worth the trouble, and produced identical steps very quickly. A lesson learned for me!

Giles

Western Thunderer
I confess that I simply CNCd both halves separately on the Stepcraft (out of 2mm brass), but in reality it would have been a quick job to have marked each part out with a steel rule and scriber, and done them with a hacksaw and files - and still well worth the effort!

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I confess that I simply CNCd both halves separately on the Stepcraft (out of 2mm brass), but in reality it would have been a quick job to have marked each part out with a steel rule and scriber, and done them with a hacksaw and files - and still well worth the effort!

It looks so much bigger than 2mm in the photo. Proof if ever we needed it, that photos do indeed lie.

Giles

Western Thunderer
Progress has been made... further bits have been fitted - the switch panels have been printed and fitted to both locos. The wonders of 3D printing! Light switches complete and detailed, but so small I can't see - the whole panel is only 5mm x 5mm.

The headlights are again printed shells with a 0.3mm wall thickness, 0.4mm LEDs fitted and back-filled with epoxy, and in turn epoxied on to a CNC'd shouldered lens to fit into the cab plate.

Lights and bogies are now wired up, but receivers still to sort out....