Giles' misc. Work bench.

Giles

Western Thunderer
Tramfabrik also sells some 009 choppers, I believe - they are quite pricy, but loo, good. Perhaps just a touch larger, but not much. Are you thinking of going down that route Gareth?

garethashenden

Western Thunderer
I keep being temped by narrow gauge generally, 4mm more specifically. But couplings are something that seem to be a problem without a clear universal solution. Printing my own could work.

Giles

Western Thunderer
The 'standard' 009 coupling may be functional, but it is rather over-size and aesthetically offensive! Considering they've finally cracked the manufacture of quarry Hunslets, perhaps a more scale coupling system might not be unreasonable!
I'm happy enough with the experiments I've done to go down the working chopper path myself. I print in ABS like resin, which seems quite strong enough for the job.
I've tried to make them about scale, allowing a tail to attach a sliver of steel wire for a magnet to work on, and it all seems reliable so far....

The Baldwin I cheated with, and shoved a coupling up the existing socket, having just pulled the original one out.

Giles

Western Thunderer
Remember these old things? I've been asked to do a couple of 7mm conversions for something which will become clear in time, and one of the elements was a front loader. The specimen provided was a different type, and after carefully looking at it, I reckoned that the geometry of the lifting arm and crowd wouldn't work (the ram would go over centre, and wouldn't return). I therefore researched all the others I could find, and the most promising I could find was the 50 year old Dinky Yale Loader.

Even this wasn't at all straightforward to convert to radio. Drive on the rear axle (only) is straightforward, but steering surprisingly proved to be the most problematic. I tried two different servos, as large as I could fit in, but it was glitchy and unreliable, and eventually made a linear actuator from an N20 gearmotor, which works well. The loader arms are now lifted by a single centre ram,and the bucket crowd is by a single much smaller ram. Sadly the motor for this is rather more prominent than I would like - but I cannot get it anywhere else, due to the geometry.

Whilst I was at it, I made two of them, so I get to keep one.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Before you get carried away with decals, the branding of these machines is ‘complicated’ - perhaps why Dinky hedged their bets by describing them as Yale Eaton Trojan.

If it were a machine sold in UK I reckon it would likely be Eaton, Eaton Yale or Yale (and possibly earlier or later Trojan) and sold by the TW Ward group. But I’m sure never all three Unless it was intended for an overseas market and diverted to UK for a customer.

Differing ranges of materials handlers were marketed under different names in the same country, and under different names again in other regions, and the range name changed over time in each location.

In the words music of Dave Brubeck, Take 5…..

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Here is a 1970 USA advert showing a TROJAN 6000 with a EATON YALE & TOWNE logo on it - EY&T being at that time the name of the head company.
The 1970 cab design (still current across all models in 1978) is different to the Dinky version which was launched in 1971 - which could have been simplified for ease of production.

EY&T brochure.jpeg

I wonder if any 6000s were sold in the UK?
TW Ward were rock quarry operators in England using some big Yale machines, so if any were in UK it could likely be in those quarries, because:

TWW was the sole UK distributor from maybe when EY&T no longer had a UK presence (1970?) until circa 1978 when sales to the UK ceased (this could have been when Faun took over Yale/Eaton's loader business - Faun later to become part of O&K (Fiat) and then GM Terex).

If you'd like more info on logos for UK let me know.
Some Yales had an EATON logo (often in profile-cut steel plate welded on rear face of counterweight).

Last edited:

Giles

Western Thunderer
For picking up goods and chattels - in reality also for pulling other vehicles out of trouble I suspect!

Giles

Western Thunderer
Having been thoroughly played with, I gather the front loader is on its way back to me to have working headlights and yellow beacon fitted.... and then back to Heaton Lodge!

Some time ago I converted a Hornby W4 to EM using an etched chassis kit, which was very good...... I've also had a B2 awaiting similar treatment, knowing I would have to scratch build a chassis. However, I had a thought about another approach, and thought I would try it. Whether it was worth it I'm not sure - on the whole - yes......

The basic premise is to print wheel centres (which need doing anyway) but with an extended boss on rear, allowing the use of the original axles. The benefit of this is the driving axle can be used with its gear intact, with no modifications. By the same token, one can use the original chassis, and print overlays with detail to brill the frames out to where they should be. I had hoped that I could leave the cylinders where they were, but that was pushing it too far. In fairness it turned out to be quite simple to move them out and fix them reliably. I did however knacker the pickups, and I need to make some entirely new ones which is a pain (reminds me why I like radio control!)

Reusing Hornby's inserts

Giles

Western Thunderer
I've started something - I don't know why - I've got for plans for it, but perhaps I just couldn't face doing other things.....

It's an EM steam crane, radio controlled, quite a small but practical little thing, and I found myself cutting metal before I knew it.

The crane base, with a 10mm OD tube to take a slim bearing outside and a slip ring internally. The slip ring will provide power to the truck motor.

Showing where the slip ring goes (pushed further in....)

The bearing with the slew ring temporarily fitted.

The traction motor is a 6mm 50rpm job, as has a Mod 0.4 bevel gear fitter

Axles done with bevel gears loose on axles. The other two are for the second drive shaft to power the trailing axle.