Giles' misc. Work bench.

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
There's some great pictures of the steam crane at Nine Elms on the internet. I'd love to build a model of it, but I really wouldn't know where to start when it comes to making a fully working model. Having seen what you can do, I feel a static model just won't do! I'll be looking forward to seeing how yours progresses, even if I lack the skills and facilities to emulate your build.

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Mike, you may be aware the Nine Elms crane (a Grafton product of 1956 vintage) survives at the Hollycombe Steam Collection.
Something makes me think I might have a works drawing for either this crane or a very similar much earlier build - will have to go for a rummage.
What’s stopping you? :D

That would be extremely kind of you if you were able to locate the drawings. No excuses then for me not to proceed with a model then. ;)

Cheers
Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
I confess that this will be fully enclosed, and full to the rafters with motors, battery, receiver etc.... and therefore freelance - if that's not anathema to everyone! I have worked out that I can get a 700 mAh battery in there though, which should do a day's work.
I think if I am able to build my own steam crane I'll probably settle for just having the chassis motorised so it can trundle about a bit. I don't have the skills or access to the equipment to make the necessary gears etc for a fully working crane. I will however be watching your build with great interest.

Mike

Giles

Western Thunderer
I too am not into gearmaking...... the hoists are N20 gearmotors, but these are of the side-shaft type - all pre-made, so I simp,y fit a cable drum to the shaft. The slew gear I a large plastic gear - one from a bag of mixed gears I bought years ago - with the centre cut out with a piercing saw. I do like to keep things simple....

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Mike, you may be aware the Nine Elms crane (a Grafton product of 1956 vintage) survives at the Hollycombe Steam Collection.
Something makes me think I might have a works drawing for either this crane or a very similar much earlier build - will have to go for a rummage.

I recall you gave me a copy of the drg. Tony, as I will be building some of these in 7mm for Bow Creek :D, and I'll follow your build ,Giles, with interest.

Giles

Western Thunderer
I printed (filament) a motor mount/ drive shaft mount today and put the truck workings together. The real advantage of doing this by means of a print is that you can match the centre height accurately, and print a 185 degree hole (or there abouts) so the motor just clicks in. The printed mount is epoxied to the truck deck and all works. The noise suggests the mesh isn't perfect (the only guessing game is the length of the 2nd shaft) but it's pretty close, and will certainly work. The down-side to this method is those little brass gears are a fiver a pop....... the gearmotor is a teeny 6mm diameter 50ish rpm job, about 22mm overall

Brian McKenzie

Western Thunderer
Giles, the video shows some longitudinal surging of the shaft linking the two axles. Perhaps there is an issue with the bore of the bevel gears not being perpendicular to the PCD of the teeth as cut?
Another suggestion might be to jig up for fitting wheel tyres to printed wheel centres - after the centres are mounted to axles.

Giles

Western Thunderer
The body shell is almost there. It needs doors fitting, and the roof made to be practically removable (not only maintenance, but the ability to swap batteries over easily eould be useful).as you can see, it is tight for space...... and I need to put a bit of lead to the rear of the cabin to balance the jib. It will be a heavy little thing when in running order. The truck is already loaded with lead.

53220157303_7dd27c052c_b.jpg

53218971327_2616705964_b.jpg

Osgood

Western Thunderer
What is the source of your crane rope, Giles?
It looks similar to some fishing reel backing chord which is the most realistic miniature wire rope I have come across so far.
Anyone found anything better?

Last edited:

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer

Osgood
How early is the earlier drawing and is it available from the HMRS? Building something like that would certainly test the little grey cells but well worth a look.

Jon

Giles

Western Thunderer
The jib. I have a little Warco 3 in 1 rolls/guillotine/folder which I don't often use, but is occasionally very useful. I can cut myself a supply of N/S or brass strip for instance.....

The jib.

53225827277_b1bc669611_b.jpg

And after careful soft soldering

53228341767_0e269fa031_b.jpg

53228343472_53d8663ee8_b.jpg

The jib is 100mm - equates to 25'. It needs a a Derrick return pulley, a diverted pulley for the hoist and the hoist top pulley all mounting on the jib. I also have to make the hook and its associated pulley of course.

53229716040_6ae27533e0_b.jpg

Attachments

• 53225827277_b1bc669611_b.jpg
    53225827277_b1bc669611_b.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 53228341767_0e269fa031_b.jpg
    53228341767_0e269fa031_b.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 6
  • 53228343472_53d8663ee8_b.jpg
    53228343472_53d8663ee8_b.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 53229716040_6ae27533e0_b.jpg