Giles' misc. Work bench.

Giles

Western Thunderer
Leaf springs are fitted, but you can't see them in the photos! But in real life you can see them when you look below the boiler. The side control was a bit too strong, so I stretched the springs and then trimmed them back - thus weakening them - and they appear to be about right now. Certainly when I push the loco through the points it follows through nicely, rather than just relying on the drivers to bring it round.

20240613_171511

Giles

Western Thunderer
Springs in situ, and bevel gear on the driving axle. A 3v N30 70rpm gearmotor will do the driving.

The cab back sheet took a lot of delicate soft soldering to get square without unsoldering anything else right next to it! However, it now looks like a Tattoo (with a dropped boiler)

this rather shows how small the quarry Hunslets are....

simond

Western Thunderer
That does rather beg the question of whether it could be arranged so that the cylinders pump the steam (or air I guess) to add a bit of ”chuff”.

I recall my Battle Space Jinty (olive drab livery) was equipped with a similar device, which if memory serves, was a piston with a reed valve built in, driven off a plastic gear engaging with the top of the worm. I was too young to realise that one chuff per revolution would not be super useful…

Giles

Western Thunderer
That does rather beg the question of whether it could be arranged so that the cylinders pump the steam (or air I guess) to add a bit of ”chuff”.

I recall my Battle Space Jinty (olive drab livery) was equipped with a similar device, which if memory serves, was a piston with a reed valve built in, driven off a plastic gear engaging with the top of the worm. I was too young to realise that one chuff per revolution would not be super useful…

I remember that system! I had that on something..... can't remember what though. Just shows I never grew up.....

PhilH

Western Thunderer
I remember that system! I had that on something..... can't remember what though. Just shows I never grew up.....

Like this ?

Smoke Units.jpg

The gear wheel sits on top of the worm and drives a small piston inside the box. Inside the box is a pad with a heating element on which you add the fluid in the capsule, and the "smoke" comes out of the hole at the far end which is under the chimney. I must have had these for 40-50 years at the back of a drawer in case they might be of use, but no doubt they never will. I'm not sure now whether they came out of a loco or were extras and I can't recall ever using the system. The fluid is possibly toxic and something they wouldn't be allowed to sell today.

Bill Campbell

Western Thunderer
The Tri-ang system was known as Synchrosmoke. The oil was vaporised by a heating element in the cast block. The oil also made a nice mess of the loco's paintwork and I seem to remember it being difficult to clean off.