Intentio 7mm SR Concrete Provender Store

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
The continuing saga if the SR Provender Store erm, continues...

I've deviated from the intended build a reasonable amount on the roof...

First, I've made it a separate module, which has definitely been a benefit to the way I work on and paint buildings.

Second, I've introduced a slight lap effect on the horizontal rows of cladding material by putting a spacer underneath the lower edges.

Third, I've introduced an extra eaves edging detail made from paper overlays. These have been soaked in superglue to stiffen them up. These were stuck on top of the original MDF eaves pieces. Looking at photos they seemed to be a scale 6' long for this size of store.

Fourth, I removed the original MDF cap to the ridge ends and replaced them with a plasticard circle that sits proud of the eaves. And whilst I was at it, I added some joints to the ridge line from plasticard loops.

Fifth, I've trimmed back the lower edges of the corrugated roofing by about 3mm. To my eyes it went a little too much beyond the wall. There's another reason for this amendment, but that's a later post...

Anyway, this is what the roof currently looks like.
PXL_20240803_100817516.jpg

And on the building.
PXL_20240803_100934473.jpg

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Another, very minor amendment I've made is to cut some narrow strips from the same thing MDF board that the eaves boards came from. These have been stuck onto the horizontal beam that runs along each end to make it slightly proud of the vertical columns.

The tip of the pencil is touching the the widened beam.
PXL_20240803_102252351.jpg

This adjustment does however mean the the MDF eaves boards supplied with the kit need cutting back to just touch the top of the beam. I was happy doing this as the area would be covered by the new paper eaves capping pieces.

This is a snippet of the photo in Southern Nouveau that I've been working from.
PXL_20240803_103512974.jpg

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Turning back to the 3 little huts, all have been primed in grey and have had an initial coat of off-white over the top to start off the concrete painting.

The GWR hut has door and window temporarily fitted for the photos.
PXL_20240803_110424567.jpg

PXL_20240803_110433199.MP.jpg
I couldn't decide if the roof should be concrete or if it had some sort of roof felt placed over the top. In the end I decided that the SR staff at Pencarrow decided to slap on some roof felt, as well as apply a lovely shade of green to the door and window.

The SR hut is also coming on too. There's a slight cut in still in the underside lip where I bodge filled the missing piece gap. That will get sorted out.
PXL_20240803_110446463.jpg

PXL_20240803_110455920.jpg

The SR tool shed is most progressed in painting.
PXL_20240803_100738982.jpg

PXL_20240803_100746322.jpg

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
The Halfords grey primed roof of the SR Provender Store has now been lightly over painted with Vallejo grey primer 70.601. This was applied neat but quickly brushed out so that it was quite a patchy finish. It's supposed to be grey but is closer to white in practice.

This was they followed by a diluted wash of Lifecolor Green Stone 1706. Strong enough to leave some colour behind but thin enough to flow. The combination of the two gives a patchy, mottled effect. I'm going to leave it for now, but will be applying further subtle paint splatter in the future.

PXL_20240803_115227000.jpg

PXL_20240803_115314287.jpg

I like how the ridge ribbing and eaves edging extras have come out.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Very nice, they are great kits

Yes, they all come together very nicely and look the part. You certainly get the finished product significantly earlier than a scratchbuild. I've not worked with MDF much in the past for buildings and it's different in many respects to working in plasticard. For the time starved modeller, or one who has little interest in buildings, these kits are a big help.