jonte

Western Thunderer
Sorry to hear of your woes with the filler: back to Squadron, I guess, Jan?

Handy and sturdy bit of kit, Jan :thumbs:

You can’t beat ‘proper’ tools ;)

Jon

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
It looks a sturdy little unit and any pillar drill is better than no pillar drill. I use mine daily so always a useful investment.
Thank you, Adrian
I hope it proves to be.

For those wondering, the spec is here

Next up is a small machine vice..... #itneverends :D

Cheers
Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Sorry to hear of your woes with the filler: back to Squadron, I guess, Jan?

Handy and sturdy bit of kit, Jan :thumbs:

You can’t beat ‘proper’ tools ;)

Jon
Hi Jon,
Not sure. I'll try to get the rest of the Milliput out - so the replacement filler has a decent bed to lie upon. Maybe I'll try Tamiya.. the granularity is important..

No. It - and my Unimat - deserve a 'proper' home. But I'll be relying on their portability until that Lottery win rolls in :)

Al the best

Cheers

Jan

adrian

Flying Squad
Next up is a small machine vice..... #itneverends :D
To be perfectly honest although I have a small machine vice for the drill I very very rarely use it. 99% of the drilling is thin sheet and plastic so most of the time I hand hold it on a small hardwood block. For drilling brass bar stock or slightly bigger items I use engineer clamps to hold the material and then hand hold the clamps on the hardwood block. I just find it far easier to get the centre punched dimple under the drill that way.

It's only when drilling thicker steel bar or round stock - that I'll resort to the machine vice.

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
To be perfectly honest although I have a small machine vice for the drill I very very rarely use it. 99% of the drilling is thin sheet and plastic so most of the time I hand hold it on a small hardwood block. For drilling brass bar stock or slightly bigger items I use engineer clamps to hold the material and then hand hold the clamps on the hardwood block. I just find it far easier to get the centre punched dimple under the drill that way.

It's only when drilling thicker steel bar or round stock - that I'll resort to the machine vice.
Hi @adrian
Thanks. I have the full panoply of toolmakers clamps - from the wee to the brute - including some I made half a lifetime ago as an apprentice! The wee ones are very useful, and I’ll certainly consider them in this regard, so thanks for sharing your knowledge. It’s appreciated. However, I do get a bit twitchy with fingers and drills; something to do with all those overly-gruesome H&S videos we had to watch as apprentices back in the 70s, perhaps :)

Cheers

Jan

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I found the Katsu drill very useful and precise enough for my needs drilling out hundreds of whitemetal bogie sideframes for bearings. I set the depth to almost the full length of the axlebox and the drill did the job admirably with no holes poking through. It is rarely used these days but its there when needed.

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
See change
As a break from filler fun (I’m being sarcastic….) I’m planning on having a dip into mixed media, with a GNR 8 wheel brake van from Diagram3D (GN04-W007) https://www.diagram3d.com/index.php?route=common/home . I made the D&S kit moons ago, but the etched steps were too fragile and haven’t survived very well…
It looks interesting; hopefully it will be OK to build to P4…. One thing I notice is that my default settings see the beautiful precision of the technique as lacking in 'character' (when compared to whitemetal, that is) and the thickness of the sides appears to make them ultra-flat (even compared with brass). I guess we'll see how it translates....

The roof is card, so that will serve as a template...

53233619869_e316c20fe1_o.jpg
Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Steps Taken
A little progress on the Brake Van, and other things. The headspace hasn't been great these past few days, and the TTR has become more of a sanctuary than a workspace. But I've done some stuff.
Capture1.PNG

The Basic box of the Brake Van has been built and some confirmatory research undertaken; I was wondering about the presence of the high mid-point side lamp in BR days - Tatlow's Wagons of the LNER shows it as being present on the GNR version, but I could find no photos of the later years. However, a request on The Clearing House FB group directed me towards DaveF's thread on RMWeb; and lo, my question was answered.... https://content-eu.invisioncic.com/...3044.jpg.a2af81260c12c930290f7047f5d24584.jpg So now I have to find some measurements for the footboard and associated handrail...

While I do that, I've been occupying my fingers (and mind) with some ScaleModelScenery cable drums. Lovely work and design... I've tried to do them justice...
Capture2.PNG

I'm hoping to make it to Uckfield over the weekend. If the weather is kind, and the car survives the 11 hour round trip....

Cheers

Jan

Last edited:

jonte

Western Thunderer
Steps Taken
A little progress on the Brake Van, and other things. The headspace hasn't been great these past few days, and the TTR has become more of a sanctuary than a workspace. But I've done some stuff.
View attachment 198450

The Basic box of the Brake Van has been built and some confirmatory research undertaken; I was wondering about the presence of the high mid-point side lamp in BR days - Tatlow's Wagons of the LNER shows it as being present on the GNR version, but I could find no photos of the later years. However, a request on The Clearing House FB group directed me towards DaveF's thread on RMWeb; and lo, my question was answered.... https://content-eu.invisioncic.com/...3044.jpg.a2af81260c12c930290f7047f5d24584.jpg So now I have to find some measurements for the footboard and associated handrail...

While I do that, I've been occupying my fingers (and mind) with some ScaleModelScenery cable drums. Lovely work and design... I've tried to do them justice...
View attachment 198451

I'm hoping to make it to Uckfiled over the weekend. If the weather is kind, and the car survives the 11 hour round trip....

Cheers

Jan

:thumbs:

Safe journey, Jan

Jon

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
A Glue ton for punishment
More work on the brake van. I’m not sure what this wood is (Bamboo?) but it’s both very light and very dense. As well as being very brittle in areas like the verandah pillars. Its density - and smoothness - means that any glue applied is held on the surface. I’ve tried a couple of different superglues (I started out using wood glue, as I naturally thought… well, let’s just say that I was wrong, and leave it at that….)
IMG_0755.jpegIMG_0764.jpegIMG_0760.jpeg

The basic shell is done. The instructions say that adding the sides takes five minutes. More like half an hour, for me. There’s no positive location for the sides against the internal tray/cabin/floor; you have to go off the ends of the cabin lining up with the edges of the verandah apertures. Tricky when you’re also trying to keep the sides flat upon on the glass… and not disturb the other side in the process…. The last photo shows that the sides are actually about 0.6 mm shorter (0.3 mm each end) than the base/ends combination. So I’ve had to cut a channel in the rear of the ends to make them flush with the sides. A lot of pain, during which I snapped one of the corner uprights (see my earlier comment..) and the bufferbeam… Some thin superglue was applied to fix that.

I have drilled out the holes for the handrails on the sides, plus the two horizontal ones at each end on the uppermost edge. These holes weren’t provided in the kit. I’ve used the photo in Tatlow’s LNER Wagons as reference.

Frustrating it’s been.

Cheers

Jan

Last edited:

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Round the bend
I’ve made a start on the plethora of handrails that are dotted about this van. Maybe it’s just me, but the Eastern side of the country seemed to have had some sort of handrail fetish going on… It’s 0.45 mm wire, bent using one of Bill Bedford’s handrail jigs; one of the most useful of modelling aids, for me.
IMG_0776.jpeg
I’m torn between painting them separately, and then adding them to the (subsequently) painted body, or painting them in situ.

Cheers

Jan

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Jan

Interesting project - what's going to be used as a chassis? Just browsed the GWR range, these seem like an aid to scratch building. I like the multi-media approach.

Mike

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Jan

Interesting project - what's going to be used as a chassis? Just browsed the GWR range, these seem like an aid to scratch building. I like the multi-media approach.

Mike
Hello @Mike Garwood
Thanks. The ‘chassis’ is a 3D print (separate print for the brake gear), with holes for the pinpoint bearings. I might put some MJT RTR compensating units on the outer axles. I’ll wait and see how flat the chassis is… one thing I’ll have to do is add a strengthening piece between each footboard hanger and the solebar; the 3D printing process doesn’t render them all the same thickness, and some are more bendy the others…

Yes; these are definitely a scratch aid. I suppose it’s all to do with how much you want to add. But handrails are a must - especially as the kit is pre-holed for most of them.

The windows are acrylic ‘bricks’. A slightly loose fit in the apertures; might need a thicker glue for them.

The roof is a piece of card. Pre-punched for the chimney gubbins. I’ll probably replace that.
IMG_0777.jpeg

Cheers

Jan

Last edited:

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Well Handled
The GNR Brake gets side rails.
IMG_0783.jpg
I used 0.45 mm brass for this, and softened the ends of the horizontal rail so as to be able to squish it flat. Then, with the help of a rebate filed in the back of the two uprights, solder it up. Far easier to do than try to butt joint the ends…
IMG_0782.jpg
It’s come out OK, I think. The bras is maybe too soft, so I might (MIGHT) revisit this with nickel silver instead ... The handrails are set 1 mm clear of the sides. I got this dimension from a GWR brake van diagram in Tourett et al.
IMG_0779.jpg

Cheers

Jan

Tim Birch

Western Thunderer
Jan

Mike
I have built a few of this firm's kits in 7mm and I think that they have been developing their technology over time as the later versions are easier that early kits. For the LNWR carriages there is a neat jig to hold the various layers of the sides. Some parts are not as successful as others, but they seem to form the basis of some good rolling stock. At a slight risk of usurping Lyndhurstman's thread, here is a photo of a 7mm LNWR OCT which is built as it came, with the addition of wheel, buffers and couplings.LNW OCT.jpg

jonte

Western Thunderer
Well Handled
The GNR Brake gets side rails.
View attachment 200788
I used 0.45 mm brass for this, and softened the ends of the horizontal rail so as to be able to squish it flat. Then, with the help of a rebate filed in the back of the two uprights, solder it up. Far easier to do than try to butt joint the ends…
View attachment 200787
It’s come out OK, I think. The bras is maybe too soft, so I might (MIGHT) revisit this with nickel silver instead ... The handrails are set 1 mm clear of the sides. I got this dimension from a GWR brake van diagram in Tourett et al.
View attachment 200786

Cheers

Jan
Neat, Jan :thumbs:

Jon

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
I have built a few of this firm's kits in 7mm and I think that they have been developing their technology over time as the later versions are easier that early kits. For the LNWR carriages there is a neat jig to hold the various layers of the sides. Some parts are not as successful as others, but they seem to form the basis of some good rolling stock. At a slight risk of usurping Lyndhurstman's thread, here is a photo of a 7mm LNWR OCT which is built as it came, with the addition of wheel, buffers and couplings.View attachment 200832
Usurp away @Tim Birch. That’s very nice.

I fully understand these are a scratch aid, and am fully prepared to add the usual stuff (buffers, wheels, couplings etc.). There’s no jigs for us Minor Scale guys :) which makes the assembly ‘interesting’.

Cheers

Jan

adrian

Flying Squad
I have built a few of this firm's kits in 7mm and I think that they have been developing their technology over time as the later versions are easier that early kits. For the LNWR carriages there is a neat jig to hold the various layers of the sides. Some parts are not as successful as others, but they seem to form the basis of some good rolling stock. At a slight risk of usurping Lyndhurstman's thread, here is a photo of a 7mm LNWR OCT which is built as it came, with the addition of wheel, buffers and couplings.
Intriguing - new to me & looks nice. Judging from the instructions I guess we have to source axle boxes and brake gear as well.

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Neat, Jan :thumbs:

Jon
Hello @jonte
Thank you. fiddly. Measure 12 times... I've finally found a 'proper' use for the Stanley small anvil I've had for many years :)
Intriguing - new to me & looks nice. Judging from the instructions I guess we have to source axle boxes and brake gear as well.
Hello @adrian
Allow me to respond on Tim's behalf;

Yes; the 4mm instructions say

This kit is intended to reduce the time, complication and labour associated with the construction of a model of a railway vehicle. It uses wooden parts which have been cut and scribed by laser. This is not a complete kit of parts. The choice of wheels and other fittings is left to the modeller

Cheers

Jan