Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Supportive Silliness
The GNR Brake Van has two handrail brackets along its length. I thought it would be a good idea to try and replicate them..
DDE8D3D1-D5D1-4358-8ABF-C5B420A23691.jpeg
I’ve used some offcuts of thin brass strip to replicate the base and support. It’s a bit further off the side than I’d like. Trying to control a 0.45 mm drill isn’t easy…

It’s taken about 90 minutes to make four and fit one.

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Open Season
Almost a year since last this particular beast got an airing. And it is finally finished.

During the week, thought I’d try to make a fixing got the EZ- Line I intend to use for tying down the wagon sheet.. some bits of 0.3 mm brass, fettled by hand, and superglued into holes in the bufferbeam.

IMG_1085.jpeg

IMG_1089.jpeg
For the final push,,it’s been a too-and-fro this weekend; first off, on the brake front, I decided to go single-sided Morton instead of Dean-Churchward III. Then I had to take out one set of brakes to enable this. Then I had to make 10 off tiny loops for the EZ-Line elastic ‘rope’, using some strands of 0.2 wire from some wiring I had kicking about, and securing the knots (each fixing has two turns of rope on it) with some Gorilla superglue.
IMG_1190.jpeg
Having done all that, I couldn’t forgive the semi-tumescences that are the door bangers, so these were sliced off and swapped for some more shapely replacements from Chivers. And the coupling hooks added…

Then it was a few hours of covering up all the hard work by dropping the tarpaulin on and threading elastic into the loops (fake cleats) before titivation of worn paint on the underframe.
IMG_1192.jpeg
IMG_1194.jpeg

Cheers

Jan

jonte

Western Thunderer
Open Season
Almost a year since last this particular beast got an airing. And it is finally finished.

During the week, thought I’d try to make a fixing got the EZ- Line I intend to use for tying down the wagon sheet.. some bits of 0.3 mm brass, fettled by hand, and superglued into holes in the bufferbeam.

View attachment 207127

View attachment 207128
For the final push,,it’s been a too-and-fro this weekend; first off, on the brake front, I decided to go single-sided Morton instead of Dean-Churchward III. Then I had to take out one set of brakes to enable this. Then I had to make 10 off tiny loops for the EZ-Line elastic ‘rope’, using some strands of 0.2 wire from some wiring I had kicking about, and securing the knots (each fixing has two turns of rope on it) with some Gorilla superglue.
View attachment 207129
Having done all that, I couldn’t forgive the semi-tumescences that are the door bangers, so these were sliced off and swapped for some more shapely replacements from Chivers. And the coupling hooks added…

Then it was a few hours of covering up all the hard work by dropping the tarpaulin on and threading elastic into the loops (fake cleats) before titivation of worn paint on the underframe.
View attachment 207131
View attachment 207132

Cheers

Jan
Such a shame to hide all that weathered wood, Jan, but if you must, that’s the way to go !

Such dedication and fortitude in the interests of fidelity, to say nothing of dexterity and ingenuity along the way (or ‘journey’ as modern society prefers to term every experience :rolleyes: ).

Such an awesome outcome that cons the observer into believing theyre seeing the real thing.

Well done.

Jon

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Such a shame to hide all that weathered wood, Jan, but if you must, that’s the way to go !

Such dedication and fortitude in the interests of fidelity, to say nothing of dexterity and ingenuity along the way (or ‘journey’ as modern society prefers to term every experience :rolleyes: ).

Such an awesome outcome that cons the observer into believing theyre seeing the real thing.

Well done.

Jon
Hi Jon
As ever, I’m very appreciative of your support and kind words. They provide sustenance to my travails against emotional variability.

Truth to tell, I wasn’t very happy with the way the internal ironwork turned out, so I was happy to hide it. And the Old Time Workshop transfers I used were for a 10T version; which may/would have been uprated to 13T when it acquired RCH aspects to its physiology. So that debate has also been rendered null by the disguise that the tarpaulin brings. Of course, if I wanted to reverse it, then it’s nothing but a few slices with a sharp blade…. I am quite chuffed with the colour of the planking, so you never know….

Thanks again

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Jan,

Did you describe your method of making weathered wood? It is a process that I have always failed to master.

Thank you,

Tim
Hi Tim,
Not really; it's all acrylics over a Railmatch BR Grey base. There's a bit here...
The central plank (no pun intended :) ) of my preferred colourings are derived from https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/product/hobby/sets/effects-en/old-and-new-wood-effects-71187/ with the 74.517 Dark Grey used as a diluted highlighter - applied in a drop-wise manner via a 000 sable brush that runs into nooks and crannies..

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
So true for so many of us on so many projects

Lovely modelling though. Really inspired by the painted finish
Hi George,
Thank you. That's very kind. Now if I could just replicate it at will... :) (FWIW, I think acrylics are good for those of us (ME!) who want to get rid of something if we're not happy with it. I've yet to master the washing out/fading of coloured wagons... grey is so much easier :) )

Cheers

Jan

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Hi George,
Thank you. That's very kind. Now if I could just replicate it at will... :) (FWIW, I think acrylics are good for those of us (ME!) who want to get rid of something if we're not happy with it. I've yet to master the washing out/fading of coloured wagons... grey is so much easier :) )

Cheers

Jan
Jan I use acrylics from the citadel range.

The way I blend colours is hardly layer on shades going on from dark to light then use a homogenising translucent layer to blend all together.... I will be doing that on my current project soon and if it would be helpful I can post blow by blow images

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Jan I use acrylics from the citadel range.

The way I blend colours is hardly layer on shades going on from dark to light then use a homogenising translucent layer to blend all together.... I will be doing that on my current project soon and if it would be helpful I can post blow by blow images
Hi George
Yes please! I have some Bachmann 'red oxide' PO wagons I'd like to 'Condemn' using this approach

Thanks

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Rescue Archaeology
A wagon in distress. This one jumped (into) the queue. Not from a great height, but enough to disenfranchise some of the bits from their neighbours. It’s a round (or actually arc-) ended kit in very brittle white plastic. With metal folded up W irons and rubber springs. This last makes me think of PECO Wonderful Wagons.. but they were card bodies, I think…
IMG_1203.jpeg
It was EM, I believe (it came without wheels, but has the letters scratched on the weights beneath the underframe) and has the dates 1910 - 1947 on the underneath of the floor. This is either:

a) The lifespan of the wagon
b) the build time in hh:mm.

I’m going to try and keep the Bass markings; although ‘naive’ they have a charm.

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Peco WW were Zamak bodies with embossed card overlays and polythene chassis, which had legs that poked into the body, and could be secured by melting with a soldering iron
Thanks, Simon
I knew there was card in the mix somewhere!

This wagon is plastic in the main, but the W irons appear to be pressed steel (they were rusty before I touched ‘em, Your Honour ) with rubber springs.

Cheers

Jan

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Those w irons and axle boxes are Peco wonderful wagon remains. The rest is scratchbuilt by the looks of the photo?
Tony
Hi Tony
An interesting thought. Maybe it is. The black paint is quite thick in places, so - like Ernie Wise’s toupee - you can’t see the joins :)

Cheers

Jan

Last edited: