Larkrail

AJC

Western Thunderer
Well I thoroughly enjoyed myself and it was good to meet @SimonT and to catch up with various others. I was particularly interested to see the versions of Wantage (and no fewer than three versions of Wantage Tramway no. 7 as well as all those models of 'Bodmin'*), Peter Kirmond's 'Big Boy' diorama which doubtless will attract entendres of various kinds for years to come but also Bob Barlow's take on Ynys Gwyntog which caused much enjoyable discussion and waving of hands about all sorts of things, artistic and technical. It wasn't in a wonderful position for photography - the sun had the temerity to shine - but on balance I rather liked it and it's a shame that it is unlikely ever to be fully finished (as far as I'm aware).

Barlow_in_Bath.gif

Barlow_in_Bath_1.gif

Bath is always worth a visit anyway, even on a summer Saturday when it's heaving, and is an excellent place for ghost signs. Here's my favourite:

Bath 005.gif

Adam

* Iain Rice's North Cornwall Minerals stock was a particular delight.

Mr Tiger Viking

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon
Another fantastic show, full of inspiring models and modellers, great to meet up with old friends and spend the day talking railways, if Carling did model railway shows, then they would probably do this one!
Simon Thanks for letting me part of it again and a big thank you to the Catering team, Lesley, David and the boys for the constant refreshments in tea and cakes.
It would be unfair to name any particular model as a favourite as the standard was so high and I personally found a point of interest in everything I saw, however in the afternoon when the sun (yes the sun) shone through the halls windows it casts its light over the grass land area of Ynys Gwyntog and made for a very moody scene, image is taken via iPhone so not brilliant, however Steve (official show photographer) Cook hopefully has some better quality images.
Thanks for the bar-be cue social in the evening and finally getting around to seeing the completed loop of your Garden railway.
Until next year BE-BARP.
Mr Tiger Viking

Attachments

• Image2.png
    Image2.png
    788.2 KB · Views: 13

SimonT

Western Thunderer
What can I say other than yesterday was another fabulous time. Thank you to all for your company and for the inspiring modelling. My sortie down to Da Shop resulted in four back numbers of NG&IRMR and a lot more weaviling in of the 16mm narrow gauge bug. Oh bum!

SimonT (aka Steve!)

daifly

Western Thunderer
What can I say other than yesterday was another fabulous time. Thank you to all for your company and for the inspiring modelling. My sortie down to Da Shop resulted in four back numbers of NG&IRMR and a lot more weaviling in of the 16mm narrow gauge bug. Oh bum!

SimonT (aka Steve!)
Simon
One day you will be as old as me. Humblest apologies for my senior moment! Original email amended.
Dave

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
One year, I'll arrange my life better so I can attend this event. Mind you, I think I said exactly the same thing last year and still managed to plan something else when Larkrail was on!

queensquare

Western Thunderer
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Well what a cracking day we all had. Iain Rice and I had often talked about how nice it would be to get all the Bodmins together so I was absolutely thrilled when he turned up with not just Bodmin but Pioneer and Hercules as well. They spent much of the day posed on the Wharf and were a real talking point posed alongside the two, 2mm versions of the Fletcher Jennings saddle tank, both the work of the brilliantJohnGreenwood
What was no surprise to me was that I wasn't alone in being influenced by Iain's wonderful writings in 70s and 80s 'Model Railways' on his seminal North Cornwall Mineral Railway. My ownNorth Somerset Light draws heavily on those inspirational articles.
The Arthur is the latest scratch built masterpiece by John Greenwood. It's not quite finished yet but really is a quite exquisite piece of work.

Apologies that the pictures are all in the wrong order but I'm afraid it was that or launch Kim's iPad across the room!

Jerry

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
Thank you for those Jerry; all those wonderful, genuinely inspirational, pieces of modelling. I never thought that I'd get to see Rice's NCMR models, made my modelling year.

Adam

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
A few photos from Saturday, starting with the setting up which went as smoothly as expected :D
The first couple of halls go OK as the trade (Branchlines and Gas Cupboard) set up at the far end

LR2 Setting up 2.jpg

whilst the demo tables in the 'food court' are laid out and draped waiting for people to turn up. Simon ruminates with Roger

LR1 Setting up 1.jpg

Simon and Peter move into the small hall

LR3 Setting up 3.jpg

And just over an hour later its musical demo tables as everybody shuffles around due to some 'space issues'. The space is the same, there just may have been the odd table missing from the plan :p

LR4 Setting up 4.jpg

Back in the big hall, Maggie performs some stretches, Simon meanders through and Steve Harrod gets out his toys

LR5 Setting up Steve Simon Maggie.jpg

The Gravetts display takes shape

LR5 Setting up 5.jpg

Whilst the Brothers Brown are ready to go (with Rich doing his best camera ignoring stance0

LR6 Setting up 6.jpg

Ted and Rich start early

LR7 Setting up 7.jpg

Jerry and John get ready for a 2mm FS demo / chatting session

LR8 Setting up 8.jpg

Charlie and Dennis do figure painting, Warhammer and Pin Ups respectively

LR9 Charlie and Dennis.jpg

Yorkshire Dave relaxes whilst demonstrating DCC

LR12 Yorkshire Dave.jpg

Roger has just dumped some stones into the moggie

LR13 Roger.jpg

Laurie Griffin talks scratchbuilding

LR14 Laurie.jpg

The place starts to fill up readily

LR10 hall filling up1.jpg

and you can almost walk all the way around the small hall.

LR11 hall filling up2.jpg

Steve

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Phrase of the day in the small hall must surely have been "Sorry, excuse me". It certainly was densely populated!

Steph

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
I think Maurice and Phil saw me coming so by the time I got there

LR15 Maurice and Phil disappear.jpg

Roger Bird stayed around though, showing off his beautiful collection of Irish stock

LR16 Roger Bird.jpg

Iain Rice pulled the 'Maurice and Phil' trick on me to, but Simon De Souza carried on chatting next to Iain's collection of buildings

LR17 Simon De Souza.jpg

The Fred Phipps Appreciation Society made their annual appearance with the man himself

LR18 The Fred Phipps appreciation society.jpg

Steve Harrod was showing off this lovely pair

LR21 Steve Harrod Nice Pair.jpg

LR20 Steve Harrod Warship.jpg

Andrew Vines brought along his finished Class 22 to many admiring glances

LR19 Andrew Vines 22.jpg

whilst on the table opposite, there was almost a bit of bare faced cheek. Just to save the potentially embarrassing google search history, click here for more details of the figures in question :)

LR22 Cheeky.jpg

Tim Tincknell brought along Plaxtol Road

LR23 Plaxtol Road 1.jpg

LR24 Plaxtol Road 2.jpg

LR25 Plaxtol Road 3.jpg

Peter Kirmond's Laramie made its second appearance, this time with the shed building starting to loom large

LR26 Laramie1.jpg

The spaciousness disappears pretty quickly though

LR27 Laramie2.jpg

Parts of Robin Gay's Wantage layout were so fresh they needed 'Wet Paint' warnings

LR28 Robin Gay Wantage 1.jpg

LR29 Robin Gay Wantage 2.jpg

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Jerry's William Smith's Wharf played host to a wide variety of stock throughout the day

LR30 Jerry William Smiths Wharf.jpg

John Bruce proves that 18" square is enough room for a layout with Wherewithial Quay

LR31 Wherewithial Quay.jpg

Mike Corp debut'd Heybridge Wharf in 3mm

LR32 Mike Corp Heybridge Wharf.jpg

Alan Henham brought along the Rocky Mountain Recycling layout whose purpose is 'Carbon Footprint' recycling

LR33 Alan Henham Rocky Mountain Recycling.jpg

Andy Cundick did as per the pre-show advertising and showed up with 'something Irish' :)

LR34 Andy Cundick Something Irish.jpg

As you've seen, Ynys Gwyntog was brought down by Iain Rice

LR35 Ynys Gwyntog.jpg

LR36 Ynys Gwyntog.jpg

LR37 Ynys Gwyntog.jpg
If you are in the Bath area, you can get a better view of Ynys Gwyntog in the round as it is currently residing in a certain bookshop...

LR38 Ynys Gwyntog.jpg

LR39 Ynys Gwyntog.jpg

And in the usual tradition, all the exhibitors finished up in the pub garden :D

LR40 Pub Garden.jpg
Another excellent show, here's to next year :)
Steve