Larkrail

Neil

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the photos Steve, they're fabulous. I'm not sure whether they ameliorate my disappointment at not being able to come or make it worse by pointing out what a top rate gathering of talent I've missed. I must and will try harder next year.

Simon

Flying Squad
Yes, thank you very much for the brilliant pictures Steve, I can confirm that you have the "official photographer" gig for 2016...

And thanks for everything else, here's a reminder of that happy Sunday afternoon when things started looking up for passengers at Launceston Road:))

Steve.jpg

And the result "out on the line" for the first time:)

Steve2.jpg

Quite possibly the best Lark/Cam rail to date....

Simon

queensquare

Western Thunderer
Quite possibly the best Lark/Cam rail to date....

Simon

Difficult as there have been some corkers but I think you could be right there. John and I will be there flying the 2mm flag again, this time with St Blazey shed from John's North Cornwall empire - see MRJ235

Jerry

daifly

Western Thunderer
Well I thoroughly enjoyed myself and it was good to meet @SimonT and to catch up with various others. I was particularly interested to see the versions of Wantage (and no fewer than three versions of Wantage Tramway no. 7 as well as all those models of 'Bodmin'*),
A bump for this to provoke Simon into telling everyone about Larkrail 2016 and to use a tenuous Wantage link to show a photo of Wantage Tramway Co. No.5 which is being restored at Didcot where I spent today on a driving experience course (a 65th birthday pressie from my son and daughter). The restoration has burrowed down through many layers of paint to reveal the original cab side numbering in beautiful condition.
thumb_IMG_3387_1024.jpg
Dave

Simon

Flying Squad
Ah yes, Larkrail...

Funnily enough, I have today been considering some "avant garde" options for 2018, I'd better get back to the future:oops:

July 16th 2016, lots of good stuff - got a few phone calls to make.....

One highlight will be Peter Kirmond's "Laramie" in its entirety, fresh-ish off the boat from its first full exposure at Railex, a never before seen diorama of Watery Bottom, Roger Bird's Tralee and Dingle "diorama plus" and Dennis Lepper will hopefully have a stunning piece of pre-grouping locomotivery in 1/32 scale for his girls to pose on:p

Absolutely nothing like this:eek:

Pul2.jpg

More to come, let's hope it all fits in this year:oops:

Simon

Last edited:

Overseer

Western Thunderer
A bump for this to provoke Simon into telling everyone about Larkrail 2016 and to use a tenuous Wantage link to show a photo of Wantage Tramway Co. No.5 which is being restored at Didcot where I spent today on a driving experience course (a 65th birthday pressie from my son and daughter). The restoration has burrowed down through many layers of paint to reveal the original cab side numbering in beautiful condition.
View attachment 55065
Dave
I am very interested to see this, and would be really interested if they found some of the original paint to confirm the original colour as delivered to the Sandy and Potton Railway, not that I want to repaint my model but I might. Others will know more about this, but the 'W.T.Co' lettering in the photo looks like the 1930s lettering (1936 photo - plate 33 in Higgins, The Wantage Tramway) which was painted over during WW2, while the 'No.5' looks like the 1947 Swindon repaint but could be the 1975 repaint. There is no lettering visible in 1890s photos and one around 1900 has slightly wider strokes to the letters plus full lining.

I would like to get to Larkrail, unfortunately not this year though.

queensquare

Western Thunderer
Exactly what the 2mm Finescale representation at this years Larkrail will be is still fluid although it will include the leg-end that is John Greenwood and his StBlazey roundhouse (somewhat smaller than Laramie!) and a selection of his beautiful scratch built locos. I shall be bringing some inappropriate locos from Somerset as guests and possibly more - discussions are in hand!

Jerry

Simon

Flying Squad
Still finalising details of this year's showette, but:

Layout-wise Peter Kirmond is bringing the full "Laramie" as seen at Railex, Tim Tinknell is bringing his EM "Chewton Mendip" in S&D blue guise and John Greenwood is bringing "St Blazey Roundhouse" up from Wadebridge, assisted by the Jerry Clifford and his 2mm Roadshow. At the other end of the scale I am pleased to welcome back Thomas Twigg returning with "Tillbrook Lane". Featured in Railway Modeller last year it shows there is perhaps yet hope for this wonderful hobby of ours. Other layouts to follow...

Demonstrators will include the estimable Iain Rice up from Devon, Highland guru Simon De Souza from Reading, Laurie Griffin, Justin Newitt and his Rumney Models, Gordon and Maggie Gravett, Dave Easto with his Gauge One scratch building, Dennis Lepper with a figure and G1 locomotive painting display, Roger Bird with his exquisite Tralee and Dingle diorama and models and more besides.

Traders are limited to the "Gas Cupboard" from Trowbridge and Brian Osborn's ever useful "Branchlines" stand.

The Titfield Thunderbolt the best stocked (and only) railway bookshop in the West is however a mere spit away from the hall, just past the pub and cafe.

As if all that weren't inducement enough Captain Kernow is also promising to put in an appearance in his banana selling/all round good egg capacity - so it should be a good 'un!

Unrestricted on street parking available around Larkhall, but bear in mind this is Bath so public transport is consequently highly recommended!

Simon

lankytank

Western Thunderer
And... again, it clashes with Gauge 1 North @ Bakewell..... B*m....!!

Ne'er mind, I will get down to Barf one year, I really will...... just not this year!!

Good luck with it, Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
And... again, it clashes with Gauge 1 North @ Bakewell..... B*m....!!

Ne'er mind, I will get down to Barf one year, I really will...... just not this year!!

Good luck with it, Simon

Indeed it does.

The Yorkshire group said they'd change future dates when I pointed this out to them before they ran their first show some years ago now, but unfortunately then changed their minds:rolleyes:

They still invite me every year though, God bless 'em.

All of which made me smile when one of their number was giving it large one AGM a few years ago about how the G1MRA committe had dared to clash with "their" date.

Wazzocks is I believe an apposite Northern expression....

Simon

Wagonman

Western Thunderer
By an amazing coincidence I'll be in Chippenham that weekend, and tis but a hop an' a skip over to Bath and Larkrail! At last.

Richard

Simon

Flying Squad
That looks just great!

Thanks very much Paul, I look forward to seeing you on Saturday.

Simon

Just in from spraying a brake van in Mrs C's greenhouse - must go and remove the evidence:oops: