LarryG's loco & coach WB (4mm/00)

LarryG

Western Thunderer
THE GWR Dia. C73 corridor third built on 23rd October was painted today in BR maroon livery. Despite my efforts regarding the droplights, I always knew the corridor side would be a scrotum to glaze, and it was! Still, it's completed now and I wont be building another!
WEB GWR C73 8.jpg
These coaches and the similar styled brake thirds were a familiar sight on ex.Cambrian lines in BR days. Perhaps the reason for this was the corridor side looks particularly weak with all that glass a very little structural framing and would not stand up well in a collision on a main line...
WEB GWR C73 8B.jpg
This coach was eventually scrapped even before it ran an inch! The glazing started to drop out, which was precisely why I had my own etches done for the similar D121 and D124 brake thirds. There are some coaches that need the droplights etched in situ, but I doubt the person that drew the artwork for this coach ever built one!

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The red is Rover Damask Red sprayed on top of my cellulose lake while it is still wet. It slightly lightens the colour. Tests showed that a similar red to that shown here can be obtained by spraying Damask Red on top of Ford Roman Bronze (dark brown). Photo taken this morning outside...
WEB GWR C73 9B.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
When I set out my stall to produce ready-to-run brass coaches in 2002, new *Larriparts bogie patterns were produced. But at a time when Bachmann LMS bogies were £3.75 pair and came with tension lock couplings, it was more economical to use those. Hence I have a small butter mountain of whitemetal bogie castings that I intend using from now on. All needed drilling out to take brass bearings and so I ordered a desk drill.

This duly arrived the day after ordering from Amazon (£63.98 inc. postage) and I wondered if it might be of interest to members who, like me, dont often 'tool-up' but might be looking for an accurate & inexpensive drill. No lateral sloppiness and the drop can be accurately set so that the hole in the axlebox goes as deep as I require and not through the front!I have just drilled out and shamferred stacks of bogie sides with ease.

The black top cover can be removed to alter the gearing...
WEB drill 1.jpg

I off-set the drill from the hole so as to provide solid support for the axlebox. The masking tape was to prevent me dropping sideframes through a slot in the cast base...
WEB Drill 2.jpg

* When I went to collect my 1980's castings from Gem Model Railways, they were in a drawer marked Larry-parts, so I claim no credit for the name. Roy Dock is your man!

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I bought an inexpensive German (but made in China) drill stand a few years ago and rarely use it. Yours looks to be a much better set up. The amount of “slack sloppiness” in some products is quite amazing.

Yes, it’s always good to shout out about a good product these days. Thanks for posting.

Stephen Freeman

Western Thunderer
When I set out my stall to produce ready-to-run brass coaches in 2002, new *Larriparts bogie patterns were produced. But at a time when Bachmann LMS bogies were £3.75 pair and came with tension lock couplings, it was more economical to use those. Hence I have a small butter mountain of whitemetal bogie castings that I intend using from now on. All needed drilling out to take brass bearings and so I ordered a desk drill.

This duly arrived the day after ordering from Amazon (£63.98 inc. postage) and I wondered if it might be of interest to members who, like me, dont often 'tool-up' but might be looking for an accurate & inexpensive drill. No lateral sloppiness and the drop can be accurately set so that the hole in the axlebox goes as deep as I require and not through the front!I have just drilled out and shamferred stacks of bogie sides with ease.

The black top cover can be removed to alter the gearing...
View attachment 151423

I off-set the drill from the hole so as to provide solid support for the axlebox. The masking tape was to prevent me dropping sideframes through a slot in the cast base...
View attachment 151424

* When I went to collect my 1980's castings from Gem Model Railways, they were in a drawer marked Larry-parts, so I claim no credit for the name. Roy Dock is your man!
A sound choice, I bought mine a few years ago. If you ever have need of a spare chuck key (I managed to misplace mine and still waiting for it to turn up- it's here somewhere) Amazon sell them,
sourcing map Chuck Key 6mm Pilot 11 Teeth for 1.5-10mm Drill Chuck Black 2pcs

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Hi Peter, I would say the glazing sheet is around .5mm thick. It's a large sheet cut into pieces convenient for posting. I don't need to buy it often and so each time I do, I have to look up an old invoice to get the company name. It is glued with Evostik Impact.

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
Chuck key. Have a look at the plastic belt cover, I was able to drill a hole in the cover of my Proxxon, and the chuck key drops in, where it is secure (and doesn’t touch the belt of course) and I’ve managed not to lose it so far…

LarryG

Western Thunderer
There is a place for everything around my workbench and everything returns to its place at the end of each job. Grandad G. had a tidy shed and obviously influenced his male grandchildren even if his influence bypassed his own offspring, bar for one. :)

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Instruction that come with the drill are a treasure.

A : To adjust the headstock high: Give by hand headstock, loosen to open to clamp wrench moves to the appropriate position, Closing the clamp wrench.

B : Drilling deepness: Loosen to open the bolt, manual getting down to pull the handspike, adjust to need the deepness, close the bolt.

:p

JasonBz

Western Thunderer
Chuck key safe storage, as practiced by me sometimes...

glue small magnet to said key.
stick key to casing of drill.

GrahamMc

Western Thunderer
Instruction that come with the drill are a treasure. :p

Not to mention the label on the drill.

web-drill-2-jpg.151424

'Currency : 230V ~ 50Hz'

They are nice drills though. I keep my chuck key in the hole in the top of the pillar, it's to big to fall into it and I know where it is.

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
It’s easy to knock Foreign language translations. Here in France a book was published about producing wine on the plateau above the village. Each page had an English translation of the French and always translated plateau as tray! Which is correct but meaningless! I explained to our neighbour at the time, who managed the Cooperative wine shop, that plateau didn’t need translating! As he doesn’t speak one word of English that came as a surprise.

Personally I don’t worry about these things if the product itself works.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
It was the GWR E148 corridor brake composite's turn to be painted , so some additional detail was added yesterday including roof straps...
WEB GWR E148 6.jpg

The paint is my usual shades, but the body is weathered down now that I am modelling 1959. Weathering turned the cream to more of a custard shade. Powders were used around the hinges and provided additional rust on the bogies...
WEB GWR E148 8.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
An LMS D1916 op0en brake third is on the go and represents one of the coaches with welded beading strips added to protect the panel joins. These were all to familiar on pre-war Stanier coaches following shopping in BR days. I had experimented with Letraset Letraline tape on the previous GWR coach, but it tended to lift during primer application. Preferring 'permanent', I added the strapping with a ruling pen and thick cellulose (three passes to gain the required relief)...
WEB LMS D1916 2.jpg

This image also shows the LMS tumble, which was more of a last-minute sharp turn-under than on GWR coaches where the latter tumblehome stated just below the waist. The GWR coach shown earlier was built before I started to take tumblehome's seriously...:(
WEB LMS D1916 3.jpg