Latest project: ex-LNER C13, No. 67421

J_F_S

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the clarification Dave - it would certainly make finding leaks easier! Can't have been much fun on a summer's day though - even in Owdham!

Best Wishes,
Howard

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Regarding pipe cladding, the Stanier 2-6-4Ts working the Manchester Victoria- Blackpool trains were manned by a couple of regular crews and their backheads were spotlessly clean with all brass and copper pipework well polished. I had the pleasure of a footplate ride as far a Moses Gate in 1960 and seem to remember the only clad parts were close to backhead equipment that might otherwise burn a hand.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
A few printed details have started to appear. On the body/footplate unit, the sand-box fillers, tank front oil pots and tank fillers have been fitted, whilst on the boiler, the hillside additional snifting valve has been fitted.
A general view;
C13_125.JPGA closer view of the oil pots. My original plan was to have these fully 3D printed, including the oil pipe gland nuts. However, on similar items for my Ivatt Class 2, it proved impossible to drill out the gland nuts to 0.25 mm with any reliability, so holes were included and the gland nuts represented by 0.5 x 0.3 mm brass tube and the oil pipes by 0.25 mm tinned copper wire.
C13_126.JPG Tank fillers:
C13_127.JPG
Finally, the hillside snifting valve. I think these were only fitted to the push-pull locos, such as 67421.
C13_128.JPG
Not much to show for a few day's work, but part of the time has been spent grovelling on the floor searching the carpet for dropped bits.
Dave.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
The vacuum controlled regulator for the push-pull operation has had brass tube pipe gland nuts/tee piece and the operating lever fitted. Here it is loosely tried in place on the smokebox side.
C13_129.JPGC13_130.JPG
There's a small balance pipe/drain linking the gland at the top and bottom of the valve body and a vertical drain pipe down to the footplate to fit later, plus the operating link to the vacuum pot which is mounted on the footplate, under the lever.
Dave.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Yes, fine, thanks Mike.
Limited progress but further preparation of detailing parts ready to fit later. I have fixed hand rails (to the boiler but not the tank front sockets) and the push-pull VCR to the smokebox side and added the small bore drain linking top and bottom glands. The vertical drain down to the footplate is only loosely placed as the boiler unit is still removable. There will also be a vertical operating rod linking the valve arm to the vacuum actuator on the footplate. Both these will have to wait till the boiler is fixed.
C13_131.JPGC13_132.JPGC13_133.JPG
Dave.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Some of the recent 0.3 mm etched parts have been fitted to the chassis.
The valve rods and valve spindle clevises and the reverser shaft have been fitted and connected up. This completes the dummy inside valve gear.
C13_136.JPGC13_137.JPG
The revised rear leaf springs/keeper plates , made up of five layers, have also been done.
C13_138.JPG
Brake gear next. The hangers and brake block overlays have been assembled ready to fit to the mounting pins and stretcher/pull rod unit. The brakes have to be removable to allow the wheel sets to be removed/fitted.
Dave.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Apart from the sand pipes, which will have to be glued in place after painting and prised off if the wheels ever have to come out, I think the chassis is now complete. The last items fitted were the reverser reach-rod and the brakes.
The brake assembly is in two sections, split where the rear pull rod plugs into the clevises on the rear cross beam, thus enabling the brakes to be removed by unclipping the hangers from their mounting pins. The brake shaft and rear pull rod are also removable by removing two 14 BA screws, to allow access to the rear pony truck.
C13_139.JPGThree more general views with brakes and reach-rod fitted. The valve rods also show up quite nicely under the boiler.
C13_140.JPGC13_141.JPGC13_142.JPG Dave.

bri.s

You’ve done an absolutely superb job on that
What motor gearbox combo did you go for for it ?
Have you a LNER layout it’ll run on ?

Regards

Brian

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Lovely workmanship all round Dave. The C13's come over as small engines, but I remember the cast whitemetal one I had was bigger than I imagined it would be.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the kind comments. Quite a way to go yet, though.
I agree, Larry, the C13s were surprisingly large locos. Like you, I assumed a 4-4-2 tank would be quite small, but it's turned out quite chunky.
Brian, it has a High Level coreless motor and Roadrunner+ gearbox. I don't have an LNER layout, it's ex_LNWR, but modelled in mid 1950s BR. 67421 was shedded at Gorton in the mid 1950s and frequently worked the Guide Bridge to Oldham or Stalybridge push-pull services. I've just imagined that either of these could have been extended to Delph (or Holt, as my imaginary version is called). Such workings would have been perfectly feasible with the existing trackwork although they didn't actually occur.
Dave.

bri.s

Thanks for that Dave I’ll have a look at that combo
Look forward to a picture of it at work on your layout once finished

Regards

Brian

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
The temporary, plain have now been replaced by the custom etched rivetted version, fitted to the loco by the 1950s. Oddly, according to the GA drawing, the buffer centres at the two ends are slightly different, perhaps because of different end throws on curves? This is replicated in the new beams. Alan Gibson MR/GCR buffer housings and appropriate coupling hooks are also now on. At the front, a home-made vacuum hose stanchion, with supporting bracket, is also fitted.
The rear has holes for two vacuum stanchions - brake and push-pull VCR.
C13_143.JPG
The front only has a brake pipe, so the locos could not operate push-pull trains bunker first, unlike LMS and BR Standard VCR fitted locos.
C13_144.JPGC13_145.JPG
Not visible is the addition of lead weight (strips of lead flashing) inside the boiler/smokebox. This is not so much for traction but to alter the position of the CofG to give the intended weight distribution over the compensated chassis - the rear truck has a sprung axle. The CofG is 3 or 4 mm behind the leading driving axle to give the total weight on the bogie pivot just a bit less than on each of the driving axles - approximately prototypical distribution.
Dave.

Last edited:

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Various lubrication related bit have been added to the front frame extensions. On the LHS, there is a mechanical lubricator and a two feed atomiser and just an atomiser on the RHS although on this side there is an atomised oil feed to the front end of the cylinder block which is not present on the LHS. The mechanical lubricator appears to be a 16 feed item, but only two feeds on each side were actually used on these locos.
Here the LH frame extension is loosely placed in position.
C13_147.JPGC13_148.JPG
Dave.