7mm Loose Ends

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
Eileens will probably have some suitable N/S for the pull rods. Still anything is better then the plasticard in the instructions :eek: :lol:
How is the compensation coming on?

I hadn't thought of using N/S strip - trust me to over-complicate things. :oops: I'll try and get some at Kettering and retro fit it to the brake hangers, before completing the bogies. :thumbs:

The compensation seems to work well on the first bogie thanks (as do the split-axles). If I do get any modelling done this week, I'll probably aim to get the other bogie up to the same stage. I forgot to take a couple of pictures of the build sequence when doing the first one, so need to get these second time round, in order to be able to show how it was done. Once the bogies are back on, I can think about installing the sound chip and wiring-up the smoke unit. Stay tuned! :)

Regards

Dan

28ten

Guv'nor
Was there any connection between the 2 sides of brakes? I can't quite see in any pictures.
I need to work out how to fit the sandpipes at some point. I don't see any mention in the instructions

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
Was there any connection between the 2 sides of brakes? I can't quite see in any pictures.
I need to work out how to fit the sandpipes at some point. I don't see any mention in the instructions

I imagine there must be on the prototype, but luckily for us, it's hidden in the gloom behind the front valance. :)

I'd be interested to see your solution to the sandpipe conundrum, as it's something I've been avoiding so far.... ;)

I must dash - I have some plasterboard to put up in the bathroom. :|

Regards

Dan

28ten

Guv'nor
What is the unit connected to the white piping?
It needs to be fitted whatever it is :lol:
I have found a pic of the connection between each side of the brakes, but I also saw an ATC shoe at the same time which is actually just visible in the profile view.....

Attachments

• York21Aug09024.jpg
    York21Aug09024.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 32

28ten

Guv'nor
Tonight I have been doing steps, a bit of a tedious job, but one I thought best to get done as i would probably rush it later on :lol: I used a similar method to Dan, pinning the steps with .9mm wire. They are rock solid even at this stage with out any glue, I wont fit them permanently until they have been dipped in metal black.
This is a bit of an unglamorous mod, but IMHO an essential one.

Attachments

• IMG_2996.JPG
    IMG_2996.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2997.JPG
    IMG_2997.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 24

28ten

Guv'nor
No pictures tonight, i have just primed the cabs and filled/sanded a couple of blemishes, I am glad i did this before fitting the final few details.

I was watching Western Heroes and I have a sudden urge to paint it Blue :shock: :shock: Im sure it will pass :lol:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
No pictures tonight, i have just primed the cabs and filled/sanded a couple of blemishes, I am glad i did this before fitting the final few details.

I was watching Western Heroes and I have a sudden urge to paint it Blue :shock: :shock: Im sure it will pass :lol:
You know it makes sense :thumbs: :lol: :lol:

28ten

Guv'nor
Another quick sand and blow with primer and the cab looks good for final detailing. the final coat of primer will be white but I find grey better fro spotting blemishes. looking at the pictures the headcode box looks slightly off square so a quick rub with the sanding stick is on order :D Oh and there is a bit round the cab window :mad:

Attachments

• IMG_3002.JPG
    IMG_3002.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3000.JPG
    IMG_3000.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3000-1.JPG
    IMG_3000-1.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 45

28ten

Guv'nor
The controls and bulkhead have been primed tonight, Its been a while since I have done any painting and I have come to two important conclusions
  • I am going over to acrylics for this sort of detail painting The Tamiya paints are much more domestic friendly, and I have been trying Vallejo air which sprays very nicely.
    I need a new compressor, mine is 20 years old and its too damn noisy :headbang: I need something much quieter

28ten

Guv'nor
Tonights simple mod is the bogie rocker. As supplied half the body weight of the model is supported on the rocker, no problem there but the pivot is partially through the resin of the bogie, not being entirely happy with this i turned and threaded a brass spacer to a snug fit between the bogie frames and opened out the rocker to 3/16. the spacer is the securely screwed between the frames and the rocker pivots on the spacer.
I hope this is more durable solution. I do wonder how long one of these models would last on Phills railway, imho it is a little under engineered in places. It certainly isnt as beefy as my Heljan Hymek.......
Next bogie job is some brass bushings for the brake pivots, not for any cosmetic reason, just for strength.

Attachments

• IMG_3044.JPG
    IMG_3044.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3043.JPG
    IMG_3043.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3042.JPG
    IMG_3042.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3039.JPG
    IMG_3039.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3037.JPG
    IMG_3037.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 34

28ten

Guv'nor
Hey ho! another evenings work :D
As I suggested last night brake pivots were on the agenda. this mod is for strength as i noticed how vulnerable the brake gear was on the bogie each time i picked the model up. It shouldnt be a problem on the motor bogie as I can solder to the brass. Very simply I used 1.5mm od brass tube cut to the appropriate length and with the internal bore opened to 1mm for the brake pivots, the bogie pivot was then drilled 1.5mm and the tube slid into place. very simple and it works a treat :thumbs:
I also filed the fans to the correct size as they were too large to fit the roof :headbang:
hopefully my new pin chuck will arrive tomorrow so I can finish the headcode box and add the last couple of details to the cab exterior. the job list is shrinking quite rapidly and it wont be long before the final glue up of the cabs and sides. the last major butchery will be the roof as it is too short, and as Dan pointed out the vents dont line up, so it will be out with the razor saw :eek: :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_3048.JPG
    IMG_3048.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3047.JPG
    IMG_3047.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3046.JPG
    IMG_3046.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3045.JPG
    IMG_3045.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 22

28ten

Guv'nor
BR standard brakevan 7mm

A bit of a break from the Western saw the footboards added and the wheels blackened. there's not much more to add as I have already made the interior and the brake gear. I made the body detachable from the chassis with 4 screws which should make painting a little easier :D

Attachments

• IMG_3052.JPG
    IMG_3052.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 154