7mm Loose Ends

28ten

Guv'nor
That is a spectacular workshop - it's better fitted out that my kitchen! Love the spice rack. Do you do this for a job as well as a hobby?
I do seem to be doing a lot of concept modelling for architects so I guess I may be an freelance architectural model maker rather than CAD guy:)

Yes i think the hinged grill matters, well it certainly does once you know about it ;)

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
OK guys Western Hero.:D

She was fitted with a straight line wiper on the drivers windscreen only at each end. She was at Swindon for an intermediate overhaul and whilst in the works she received experiment 348 Wynstruments Type 48 Straight Line wiper. She also received Blue livery and was released off works Nov 29th 1967.

So Graham if your intending on doing Hero in maroon your OK.

I will be doing Hero with the mod and in that deplorable state;)

Rob:)

28ten

Guv'nor
OK guys Western Hero.:D

She was fitted with a straight line wiper on the drivers windscreen only at each end. She was at Swindon for an intermediate overhaul and whilst in the works she received experiment 348 Wynstruments Type 48 Straight Line wiper. She also received Blue livery and was released off works Nov 29th 1967.

So Graham if your intending on doing Hero in maroon your OK.

I will be doing Hero with the mod and in that deplorable state;)

That would be the red white and blue livery :) i think you will need the hairspray for that one

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
From what you have written above and in earlier posts there does appear to be a need to have decent photos for modelling the Wizzos in almost any time in their lives. A quick perusal of book lists shows that a small fortune can be spent in no time at all on this subject so which are the recommended books for "budding Western-builders" whose library is confined to Kettles?

regards, Graham
For reference type books I would recommend these two:

Western Hydraulics by J.K. Lewis (Book Law)

The Class 52's by David Brit (OPC)

For photo collection type books I would recommend :

Western Glory by Chris Chapman (Waterfront)..........all BFYE in this one though, so perhaps not for you Graham ?

Diesel Hydraulics in the West Country by Derek Huntriss & Peter W Gray (Ian Allan)

Phill :)

28ten

Guv'nor
A temporary roof has been cut while I do some thinking as to how to support it looks as if the supports will actually have to do the job for which they were intended

Snapshot.jpg

Rubbish shot but it is getting the feel right, although im not sure of the purpose of the extra light over the toilet block unless there was a skylight in the toilet

IMG_1028.jpg

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Took me ages to spot that hinged grille.

would anyone notice unless you pointed it out? Especially without another to compare with?

Probably not, but if Cynric is anything like me then just knowing it's wrong will drive him crazy, sometimes too much information is a detriment and ignorance truly is bliss LOL. I had a similar discussion on Sunday over the Heljan Deltic whos bogies are of the early type, if modelling BR blue that would drive me insane and they would have to go! :)

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
That will be a new experience for you Rob :p :)) (tongue firmly in cheek mate););)
No dont understand the word "hairspray" dont know what its for, never had to use it.:))

Although with SWMBO and two daughters there seems to be alot of it managed to get onto the bathroom mirror every time im im there:mad:

28ten

Guv'nor
The scrap pile - this is where having your own machine saves money ....
IMG_1029.jpg

I needed to rough out some ideas, and no matter how much 3d cad you do nothing beats a bit of fibreboard and cereal packets for getting the feel. the photos are very rough but they give an idea

with a horsebox and platform

IMG_1035.jpg

the rear elevation on the embankment

IMG_1036.jpg

and a birds eye view showing the glazing in the roof and the mysterious glazing over the toilet. this is almost looking lake a small layout :eek:

IMG_1037.jpg

There have been over a dozen requests for this type of building in single storey format, so it is something i shall be working on :)

alcazar

I searched my books last night for a possible photo of 1000 in Desert Sand etc.

I came up with ONE in 1962, no yellow panels, red inset to buffer beam, slightly dirty, at Swindon, in colour.

It's in Diesel Hydraulic Locomotives of the Western Region.

The book also has a photo purporting to be 1015 in Golden Ochre. I think it's possibly the WORST piece of photoshopping I've ever seen.......:(

28ten

Guv'nor
I think I have my reference shot , it will have to be with small yellow panel but it is from '63 with the hinged grill. it is as good as i will get without carving the body. I can take running a locomotive with correct livery and details with a slighty earlier period train but I cant take, the correct livery, incorrect details and correct train. As long as each item is correct in itself then that will have to do.

Having said I wouldnt do the toilet interior I will now have to ....

IMG_1055.jpg

Work on the station will have to stop now until i find time to go over to Toddington station which shares some similarities in the roof and brick detailing

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I think I have my reference shot , it will have to be with small yellow panel but it is from '63 with the hinged grill. it is as good as i will get without carving the body. I can take running a locomotive with correct livery and details with a slighty earlier period train but I cant take, the correct livery, incorrect details and correct train. As long as each item is correct in itself then that will have to do.

I'm reaching a similar compromise, I'd like a LMR class 40 with small yellow panels but earliest 'consistent' dates seem to be Jun/July 62 which limits me to four Princess Royals #3, 6, 8 & 9, one BR red and three BR green, moving on a year in the project has compromised my choice in other areas.

Nice Lav floor BTW LOL.

28ten

Guv'nor
I'm reaching a similar compromise, I'd like a LMR class 40 with small yellow panels but earliest 'consistent' dates seem to be Jun/July 62 which limits me to four Princess Royals #3, 6, 8 & 9, one BR red and three BR green, moving on a year in the project has compromised my choice in other areas.

Nice Lav floor BTW LOL.
I dont think 12 months here or there matters it is not going to jar visually, unlike say a ten year gap. I think the time factor is the hardest of all to come to terms with irrc David Jenkinson said something similar.

28ten

Guv'nor
it is strange how it comes alive as soon as the pre shading goes on

Evergreen strip .20x.20 irrc pre bend it to a hockeystick shape ( i have lasered an mdf former to check it against) then once it is well and truly set sand it back to make it .20x.10. the reason for doing it that way is thay you cant form the shape from .20x.10