7mm Mickoo's Commercial Workbench

richard carr

Western Thunderer
That's a nice one Mick, I'm pleased you got there without any delays. I'm hoping to meet up with Jim, in Ohio this weekend.
I don't think we will see any trains going that fast.

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
That's a nice one Mick, I'm pleased you got there without any delays. I'm hoping to meet up with Jim, in Ohio this weekend.
I don't think we will see any trains going that fast.

Richard
Where were the delays then, everything at Heathrow was going smoothly when I left and the flight arrived early, Hertz rental queue was huge but Alamo who I always use had one person in front of me.

I did hit Seattle rush hour, six lane freeway averaging 6-10 mph right down past Tacoma, so 30-40 miles? I did manage this dash shot of the gorge, the UP line is just to the left and saw 2 UP trains and 3 BNSF on the other side of the river during the 40 minute trip up the gorge.

IMG_0505.jpeg

Train speeds are fast along here, maybe not 70 but certainly 50 I think, so closing speed was more like 120.

Looking through my shots others have taken it looks like none of the trains have DPU’s, which I’d expect for a water level route but I did see one manifest between Tacoma and Portland and that’s quite hilly, especially the Interstate and the rail line follows that in places so I’d expect DPU’s on that section but the one I did see didn’t. It was quite short too so maybe they split trains at Portland to use less power and fit shorter passing sidings on that section.

richard carr

Western Thunderer
The first part of our delay was no aircraft departure manager, so we couldn't board, eventually they found one so we did start boarding about 15 minutes after the scheduled departure. The next delay was the tug, or the lack of one, so we waited for 90 minutes for the tug to finally turn up and push us back. In the meantime it turns out that the airbridge had scratched the plane, so that had to come back so the engineer could inspect it and pass us fit to fly, it was just a scratch. That didn't matter in the end as we still didn't have a tug. Then finally it took over 25 minutes to taxi to the end of the runway, which considering we were at T5 C gates and we were taking off to the east it is a pretty short taxi. Consequently we arrive 2 and half hours late in Chicago at 8:45 pm, everyone misses there connection and about 50 people didn't get their luggage either. BA at it's best.
The flight itself was very nice, I even slept for over 3 hours.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
The first part of our delay was no aircraft departure manager, so we couldn't board, eventually they found one so we did start boarding about 15 minutes after the scheduled departure. The next delay was the tug, or the lack of one, so we waited for 90 minutes for the tug to finally turn up and push us back. In the meantime it turns out that the airbridge had scratched the plane, so that had to come back so the engineer could inspect it and pass us fit to fly, it was just a scratch. That didn't matter in the end as we still didn't have a tug. Then finally it took over 25 minutes to taxi to the end of the runway, which considering we were at T5 C gates and we were taking off to the east it is a pretty short taxi. Consequently we arrive 2 and half hours late in Chicago at 8:45 pm, everyone misses there connection and about 50 people didn't get their luggage either. BA at it's best.
The flight itself was very nice, I even slept for over 3 hours.
Now that sounds a right shambles….. the problem with modern airports and in a similar vein modern train timetables is that if you miss your slot then chaos ensues and you just get shunted further and further down the queue.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
One of the down sides to a three week vacation is the mountain of work when you get back, Stafford show was excellent, so much so that I've had to temporarily close the order book, existing customers and pledged work is still okay though :thumbs:

Back at the bench this week I found a little time to pick up the latest (one of many) project, in this case a DA Jubilee with Fowler tender.

None of the interior parts are fixed, I need to get in there to solder the handrails and knobs on cleanly.

IMG_15424.jpg

IMG_15426.jpg

IMG_15427.jpg

mickoo

Western Thunderer
You produced a nice 3D replacement for me!!!

The smiley didn’t appear in my post: sorry for that.
Ahh ‘dome’ not ‘done’, typo in your original post young man ;)

I think the dome I did for you was the Stanier 4000g tender, not the Fowler 3500g. This one isn’t too bad to be fair, some pitting which I’ll fill and blow over.

3D replacements are often about time, if I can clean and prep what’s in the box faster than draw, clean up and smooth off a 3D then I will; so long as it’s not misshapen or warped etc.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
It's good t see you back Mick, I was beginning to think you had decoded to stay.

How's the jet lag !

Richard
Stay, what for, no bloody trains lol.

Funnily enough there’s been about four or five other photographers in the same areas I was at the same time, their photos are going up on Flickr slowly. They all took photos of the same trains I did, which is good as it means I didn’t miss any, there really were that few.

Jet lag is okay…..I think…not been sleeping well for other reasons I think, hence the slow work bench output last week.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I do actually have another tender on the bench which I'd forgotten about....

The JLTRT King came back from Paul Moore at the Stafford show. The tender is re-assembled and now in the coal bay, engine to follow shortly after DCC fitting and testing.

The plan is to give it a good load test on Bucks Hill before hand over at Guilford.

IMG_5440.jpg

IMG_5441.jpg

IMG_5442.jpg

IMG_5444.jpg

richard carr

Western Thunderer
I'm glad you aren't feeling too bad Mick, I always struggle coming back from the west coast, and I certainly would if I was there for 3 weeks.

I'm heading to Chicago tomorrow, so hopefully some fun next weekend.

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I'm glad you aren't feeling too bad Mick, I always struggle coming back from the west coast, and I certainly would if I was there for 3 weeks.

I'm heading to Chicago tomorrow, so hopefully some fun next weekend.

Richard
Well I'm not really sure what jet lag actually is, having never really experienced it....I think. Probably due to nine years shift work and the odd hours I do at the work bench sometimes.

Have fun, I know you'll at least see some trains :thumbs:, even if the terrain is a bit flat for my liking ;); I do know that a good quality scanner is top of my packing list if I go again.