7mm Mickoo's Commercial Workbench

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
If you run a heavy (long) thread, your's, mine, Oldravendales photos, Pencarrows workbench and several others....Spikey Faz, Heather, Richard Carr...etc, it actually take a bloody lot of time.

I have cut back over the last year or so (honest) and tend to just cut and paste what I put on FB, that way I don't have to remember if I've written something different in each place.

Having said that, FB is more dynamic and I do post there and not here occasionally, primarily because this place is less receptive (no, wrong word, conducive?) to the rapid fire instant gratification postings you tend to get on FB. That's fine, each platform has it's own comfort zone/aura.

The above Buffalo 3D profile puck is a perfect FB post, 'hey guys what about this as a cool idea', here it's more 'yeah, and!' kind of feeling/feedback (lack of), but that's fine, that's how this place works and you accept it or move on.

FB is more like you're upbeat music (expensive drinks) type of venue, WT is more like the local pub with open fire.

I personally don't think there's enough interaction here, where it really matters, folks just take for granted X, Y, Z are going to post a really interesting update every few days or weekly; don't be surprised if one day they don't.
Mick,

I am just grateful you are posting on here. Your work is a total inspiration to bodgers such as me and when I see some of the photos of your work it galvanises me to go out of my comfort zone and try something different, or that I haven’t attempted before. It has even got me thinking about CAD and 3D printing; areas I would never have contemplated only a few months ago. In my case, passiveness can be a synonym for blotting paper - I’m drinking it all in and learning with every post you make. I also don’t do FB, so that wouldn’t help me at all!

Nigel

simond

Western Thunderer
If you run a heavy (long) thread, your's, mine, Oldravendales photos, Pencarrows workbench and several others....Spikey Faz, Heather, Richard Carr...etc, it actually take a bloody lot of time.

I have cut back over the last year or so (honest) and tend to just cut and paste what I put on FB, that way I don't have to remember if I've written something different in each place.

Having said that, FB is more dynamic and I do post there and not here occasionally, primarily because this place is less receptive (no, wrong word, conducive?) to the rapid fire instant gratification postings you tend to get on FB. That's fine, each platform has it's own comfort zone/aura.

The above Buffalo 3D profile puck is a perfect FB post, 'hey guys what about this as a cool idea', here it's more 'yeah, and!' kind of feeling/feedback (lack of), but that's fine, that's how this place works and you accept it or move on.

FB is more like you're upbeat music (expensive drinks) type of venue, WT is more like the local pub with open fire.

I personally don't think there's enough interaction here, where it really matters, folks just take for granted X, Y, Z are going to post a really interesting update every few days or weekly; don't be surprised if one day they don't.
I don’t do FB, in the possibly vain hope that FB doesn’t do me.

I like the threads here, because there are lots of talented people doing good stuff. Some of it is entirely outside my modelling interests, but I rarely pass up on reading new posts on here because there’s so frequently something new, different, unknown, and that leads to rabbit holes…. And just finding out stuff.

I wonder about “likes”, it‘s obviously nice to have positive feedback, but I actually like the suggestions and questions more - and the subsequent discussions.

You're right about it, it does take time, but I tend to dive in when I’m having lunch or a cuppa or whatever and web browsing and tapping a few thoughts is relaxing. Obviously my own thread posting is more driven by what I’m doing at the time and, like Chris, it’s a good way of keeping a diary / reference of what I was doing and how I did it for future reference.

I for one would miss your, and Nick’s threads, I’m very sure I’m not alone!

Kevin MH

Western Thunderer
Jumping around a bit this month, lots of projects on the go in an effort to maximize bench time.

Most of the LNWR 2-4-2T chassis is done, couple of niggles with the etches, nothing a file and scribe couldn't resolve or a rivet punch.

I'll need to 3D the inside cylinder block shortly, then the slide bars and motion bracket can go in. I'm still not sure how or where to make the split between the upper footplate section and lower chassis section at the front; on the real engine the smokebox front is also integral with the cylinder block front and visible through that great big hole in the footplate behind the buffer beam.

Whilst I keep putting that design conundrum off I'll sort the brake gear and then it'll have to be tackled head on.

View attachment 206242

View attachment 206243

View attachment 206244

View attachment 206245

View attachment 206246

View attachment 206247

View attachment 206248

View attachment 206249
Is that 4mm or 7mm? It looks very much like what Mr. Redrup would design in 4mm. I'm in 7mm, and managed to buy Mercian's display model of their 5'6" 2-4-2. It is a rough example of an OLD kit. Not like this at all. I manged to get it running, and assign it my rake of unpainted 30'1" coaches. It will never be more than a 3' model, no matter how well I paint it.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Is that 4mm or 7mm? It looks very much like what Mr. Redrup would design in 4mm. I'm in 7mm, and managed to buy Mercian's display model of their 5'6" 2-4-2. It is a rough example of an OLD kit. Not like this at all. I manged to get it running, and assign it my rake of unpainted 30'1" coaches. It will never be more than a 3' model, no matter how well I paint it.
I only work in O gauge and it is (very little left to be honest) the Mercian kit, cab front, sides and rear I think is all I've used so far.

Kevin MH

Western Thunderer
I only work in O gauge and it is (very little left to be honest) the Mercian kit, cab front, sides and rear I think is all I've used so far.
Oh. The whole frame is scratchbuilt. That is what threw me. The Mercian kit is barely worth building, but I have one that runs, and it is a good fit for my era and branchline, so I will finish it off some day.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Not scratch built exactly, I designed and drew a new one and had it etched as the kit one is just, well, past it.

405483139_10231521499409961_1129627046118037951_n.jpg

I've been pondering the smokebox as it dives right down to the cylinder front though the big hole in the frames, I think I have a solution now so that'll be one of the first things to sort when I get back to it shortly.

Last edited:

Clarence3815

Western Thunderer
I`ve read this whole thread twice and fiind it totally fascinating.

It is one of my `must see` items everyday.

I`m already suffering withdrawal symptoms!

24 hours in the day is not long enough for me either.

Bernard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Finally done with the Scorpio BG Buffalo. Backhead and a couple of little nick knacks to fit after paint as well as some work on the dome and safety valve bonnet flanges before polishing and also fitting after paint.

A lot of work required on the top sides, you can only really keep the smokebox front, cab sides, roof, boiler belly and valances. For the sake of the children the etched saddle tank and I decided to call it quits and go our separate ways :). I also kept the cab step treads but needed new riser backing plates.

Below decks, other than a 3D ashpan, it was an all out of the box build with little drama.

IMG_5631.jpg

IMG_5632.jpg

IMG_5633.jpg

IMG_5634.jpg

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Moving onward, quick intermediate progress photo shoot of another Bulleid passing across the desk, like the previous two it'll be full metal jacket with smokebox interior.

However, there is a slight change of flavour in that several inspection hatches need to be removed as it's representing a latter day run down machine. The roof is going to need some tweaks to show the boiler with steam turret feed valves and pipework, as well as piping and bumpf under the cab etc.

This will be the 5th BLP tender I've built and yet again a different approach to the last four, a testament to the design where you can build it several fundamentally different ways and it still all fits. I prefer to solder from the inside but once the sides go in it can get a real ball ache especially with the electric lighting, tank fittings and other such stuff.

This time the sides will be the last to be fitted and so far it has helped speed up the build, whether that remains true at the end remains to be seen, but with a fair breeze that should tomorrow evening; then it'll be back to the LNWR 2-4-2T for a stint until the FMJ etches turn up.

IMG_5635.jpg

IMG_5636.jpg

IMG_5637.jpg

paulc

Western Thunderer
Finally done with the Scorpio BG Buffalo. Backhead and a couple of little nick knacks to fit after paint as well as some work on the dome and safety valve bonnet flanges before polishing and also fitting after paint.

A lot of work required on the top sides, you can only really keep the smokebox front, cab sides, roof, boiler belly and valances. For the sake of the children the etched saddle tank and I decided to call it quits and go our separate ways :). I also kept the cab step treads but needed new riser backing plates.

Below decks, other than a 3D ashpan, it was an all out of the box build with little drama.

View attachment 208492

View attachment 208493

View attachment 208494

View attachment 208495
Oh , i need to go back and find all the postings on this build as i have one to do myself although not broad gauge .
I for one appreciate that you find the time to post on here and will quite often put a like rather than a reply figuring that you could spend hours reading all the replys that say 'great work' that could be better spent doing something else like drinking a nice red .
Great work

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Wish I had thought of this long before, the germ of the idea came about with the recent Pannier and saddle tanks and forming them. It occurred that it would have been very handy if I had an accurate dolly to beat the metal over and life would be so much easier.

Fast forward to this morning and the small roof section on the Bulleid tender, always a witch to get neat and even bends, especially the tight ones at cant rail level.
It took a few moments to draw up and I added a couple of grip posts, one rectangular, the other circular; both work equally well so there's no advantage of either type, just personal preference really.

Did it make a difference, certainly did, took mere minutes to form and it fitted right onto the model just tickety boo.

The next one will be for the cab, forming the main radius isn't hard but the cant rail one just above the side windows can be troublesome as can the double set in front of the front windows.

7ac4779b-33b8-4eba-aa13-97ab18073f1e.jpg

8bcd1e27-a334-46e4-841e-654de88bf750.jpg

86448c38-528d-43c5-9585-70b9772975dc.jpg

simond

Western Thunderer
Wish I had thought of this long before, the germ of the idea came about with the recent Pannier and saddle tanks and forming them. It occurred that it would have been very handy if I had an accurate dolly to beat the metal over and life would be so much easier.

Fast forward to this morning and the small roof section on the Bulleid tender, always a witch to get neat and even bends, especially the tight ones at cant rail level.
It took a few moments to draw up and I added a couple of grip posts, one rectangular, the other circular; both work equally well so there's no advantage of either type, just personal preference really.

Did it make a difference, certainly did, took mere minutes to form and it fitted right onto the model just tickety boo.

The next one will be for the cab, forming the main radius isn't hard but the cant rail one just above the side windows can be troublesome as can the double set in front of the front windows.

View attachment 208741

View attachment 208742

View attachment 208743
Extraordinary.
I was asking myself the “I wonder if that would work?” question first thing this morning, and you’ve just answered it.
Thx.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Oh , i need to go back and find all the postings on this build as i have one to do myself although not broad gauge .
I for one appreciate that you find the time to post on here and will quite often put a like rather than a reply figuring that you could spend hours reading all the replys that say 'great work' that could be better spent doing something else like drinking a nice red .
Great work
There's not much to see (BG Buffalo) I'm afraid, I gave up doing detailed write ups when the feedback dropped off. I found it was taking an hour or more to take and process photos, then write up what was going on and only a handful of likes.

You're right, there are only so many Oooo's, Aaahs and great work people can post and being quite prolific they soon run out, that's understandable, it is what it is and you just have to adapt and move on.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Extraordinary.
I was asking myself the “I wonder if that would work?” question first thing this morning, and you’ve just answered it.
Thx.
The only downside is the print time and it also really needs to be solid so it eats resin. This simple small block was 3½ hours to print and I expect the cab dolly will be 6-8 hrs; an overnight job for sure.